• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

'Project:NAHSEC' (not another hyper seven electric conversion :)

Fairly new to this hobby and after seeing the 1/8 buggies at the local bash, decided I'd quite like one, since the Rustler, although fun as hell is not quite as agile and precise as one of these babies.

So after scouring many,many threads decided on a Hyper 7, since it seems to be quite sturdy and parts, well most parts can easily be sourced off eBay.

Here's the roller I got.

th_DSC00448.jpg th_DSC00450.jpg th_DSC00449.jpg

Bought a used 'Leopard 4274-2000KV motor & XeRun 150A ESC' from this here forums classifieds.

Needed a motor mount but a local sources were out of stock :(, but found a thread on using an EMAXX motor plate, cutting it down and mounting on one of the centre diff supports, so that's what I did :)

Ordered a couple of these from HobbyKing.

th_17269.jpg

Since the motor mount I was using was not as thick as the ones you would get in the conversion kits I thought the motor could use a little support so I recycled one of the old nitro engines mounts, drilled a couple of holes in the chassis and bolted it underneath the motor (will add a bit of rubber to the top to act as a cushion and cable tie through this mount and around the motor to protect against sudden sideways forces).

Bought a Losi 8 battery tray since other threads recommended it but a tad too long for the chassis (ESC tray was hitting the lower arm) so I introduced it to Mr Dremel!

After a test fit seemed to work pretty well.

th_DSC00453.jpg

Stripped the whole thing down and gave a good clean with some WD40.

Replaced the oil and all threes diffs with 5-5-3k.

Replaced the missing front torsion brace and got some new side guards.

Got a screw set from ebay to replace all the ones I had to go Dremel crazy on.

Since I had made all my mistakes and had all my drill positions now, decided to use the new spare chassis that came with the roller.

th_DSC00456.jpg

(see, added my rubber cushiony thingy)

Covered up all the old nitro holes not being used with gorilla tape,

Bolted her back together, added electrics, now with PowerHD1501 servo!!

th_DSC00460.jpg

Just waiting on front and rear t-bones from tbr in the states and my batteries and series cable from HobbyKing, both were dispatched on the 12/06/12

Edited by daveleebond

Looking good Dave :)

Like the custom motor mount

Think you may want much thicker centre diff oil for your buggy though

On another note, d'ya want to sell me your esc lol

• Like 1

Looking good Dave :)

Like the custom motor mount

Think you may want much thicker centre diff oil for your buggy though

On another note, d'ya want to sell me your esc lol

I'll see how it runs, when eventually get my batteries, got that ratio of an another Hyper 7e thread and others agreed with it, but now I have done all three diffs it's not really much of a chore to do since I know how to take the thing apart now..

Sorry fella keeping the ESC. (hope you gave yours a fitting burial :) )

Edited by daveleebond

After having a little cry to myself, the melted esc got gently put in a plastic bag and then carefully placed in the bin.

Although it was rather late, I felt that such a tragedy was deserving of a few words. So after waking the kids up, and getting them out of bed we gathered in the front garden, in the dark... Our heads bowed.... The dogs quietly howling in the distance...

I said what needed to be said... We cried... We laughed... Most importantly we remembered the xerun for what is was, not what it had become.

So much potential... So little time being used...

It shall be missed...

• Like 2

Nice mate! I need to do my diff oils still, any particular makes that are good?

That BQY you have, what's it like? Seen them on eBay for very low prices and have some in my trans but I'm not sure what they would be like in a car?

Nice mate! I need to do my diff oils still, any particular makes that are good?

That BQY you have, what's it like? Seen them on eBay for very low prices and have some in my trans but I'm not sure what they would be like in a car?

the BQY I have is used when I am testing my electrics, works fine but is only rated a 20C, got it free with my Maverick Strada.

Diff oil is 'Fastrax' from modelsport.

sorry to hijack your thread but i got a hyper 8 electric roller coming and im putting a castle 2200kv combo in gonna run on 4 and 6s so what diff oils would you recommend for front middle and rear im a center diff noob lol never had one coz ive got a savage flux lol

sorry to hijack your thread but i got a hyper 8 electric roller coming and im putting a castle 2200kv combo in gonna run on 4 and 6s so what diff oils would you recommend for front middle and rear im a center diff noob lol never had one coz ive got a savage flux lol

He says in a post above...but

In my HyperE I have:

Front - 5000(5K) weight

Centre - 5000(5k) weight

Rear- 3000(3k) weight

which is agreed to work well, with the 2200kv it's worth turning your punch down on your ESC.. Mines at 30% at the moment, though somehow I can still make it wheelie.. :)

David

Edited by Davidpal92

CPS is different from weight

I would and did go for the Fastrax oils

http://www.modelspor...-products/28539

http://www.modelspor...-products/33288

David

ok cheers m8 fastrax 3 and 5k ordered cheers for the help also ordered nanda blocks as everyone says they are good

Edited by itsme93

ok cheers m8 fastrax 3 and 5k ordered cheers for the help also ordered nanda blocks as everyone says they are good

I think Nanda are the reason I can wheelie.. sooo much grip on low grass and dirt.

David

Edited by Davidpal92

be careful with the hexs on the nandas they are made of the same grade plastic as carrier bags.

im fitting a 4282 motor also hopefully over the weekend if it gets here. what gearing are you running?

I assume I have the stock 46t spur and it the motor came with a mod1 16t pinion, so will be using that at first and see what temps I get.

I assume I have the stock 46t spur and it the motor came with a mod1 16t pinion, so will be using that at first and see what temps I get.

you can run an 18t on 2560kv trackstar. 16t may be undergeared, but i have gone the complete opposite way and ordered a 23t :sweatdrop:

• Like 1

you can run an 18t on 2560kv trackstar. 16t may be undergeared, but i have gone the complete opposite way and ordered a 23t :sweatdrop:

mmm, will be running 4s, so might consider purchasing an 18 or 20 or both?

my logic was that people run 22t on castle 1515 (2200kv) and those are a higher kv and a shorter can so in theory the leopard 4282 should be able to handle more, but i guess ill find out. if it runs well ill let you know.

• Like 1

18t has been perfect for my 2650 turnigy trackstar on a stock spur, with a 150A EZrun ESC and 2s lipo. I run 3 fans, but really they aren't needed at all! It's just me being cautious after my last motor died. I'm fairly new so I'm probably thrashing the old thing quite a lot, with plenty of stop starts. My shell is also a nitro one and so the precut holes create plenty of air flow :)

Temp gun says without fans:

Esc temp 32c

Motor temp 36c

Battery temp 41c

And with fans the motor changes to 28c!

That's why I mentioned everything I run so that it can be taken into account :) and yes I would imagine the fans will definitely be needed on more cells!