• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HELP NEEDED URGENTLY

Djmix3r

HELP NEEDED URGENTLY

I received a ftx carnage, the brushless version for christmas. It has been a great fun little truck, but ever since the last run where i was running it on the grass in my back garden the motor has started making a very weird CRUNCHING GRINDING NOISE

I have noticed that:

1. The acceleration and deceleration speed has been drastically reduced. I mean that compared to when i used it in January it would reach top speed in seconds, where as now it takes for ages and makes a horrible CRUNCHING AND GRINDING NOISE when accelerating. Also braking distance has become a lot longer and it seems it not want to stop. i would say it has doubled in length.
  2. The noise started to occur when using it in my back garden about 2 weeks back, i put a fresh battery in and gave it a wiz about. I do not know whether i may have over charged the battery which may have affected the motor, as my charger never seems to tell me when it is done as i have to use a timer plug to set when it goes on and when it should go off.

I do not know what i have done.

I have treated the model with care and have not been a maniac. It has only been used when dry on the road and a few times in my back garden(grass).

I wonder if any of you have had the same problem before, or if anyone has any advice on what i should do or how i can solve the horrible noise and recover the speed it used to do.

Also when on a small gradient you have to use the maximum throttle to get it to move, and then the noise starts.

I have uploaded a video of the noise i hope it will help you to see and hear what i mean.

[media=]

Hope it helps.

I know it is not the gear mesh as it is still standard from the factory and has not been moved or adjusted.

Please if any of you can help any advice will be helpful as there must be someone out there with the same problem.

Thank You For Reading :thumbsup:

@howie87

The gear mesh seems fine, i think the sound is coming from the motor. i dont know whether it could be dust and dirt inside the motor or if i over charged the batteries and wrecked the motor. All i do know is the noise occurred after i ran it out side in my back garden on my grass.

What batts and charger are you using ? But it won't be down to that. Sounds like a mesh or binding drive train some where

Checked the pinion?

My firestorm pinion came a tiny bit loose and was only gripping the motor shaft when the grub screw hit the shaft square for a second, kept going but lost speed.

Check the lot mate, have the motor out, it's only 2 nuts, turn on the power and give it a blip o the throttle, you'll know straight away if the motor is shot or not, if it whirs smoothly then it's okay, any rough sounding noises? Could be that the bearings are shot.. If you need new ones the r2 zz size. Next thing to check would be the diffs, then if they are okay check your slipper pads haven't worn out and if that's okay re-mesh using the strip of paper between the spur/pinion method.. It's all well documented on here :)

Hi. 1/2 the screws in my local youth centres were loose when they got it. The motor was loose too. Go over it with your hex drives,making sure everythings tight.