• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Making Cheap Strong Basher Shock Towers For Hyper 7

GorillaZilla

• 3 weeks later...

Update...

Finally I have had some cut, collecting them this Friday, they still need to be put through the mill and then Im going to get them finished with a zinc passivate coating (as they are steel I don't want them rusting)

I've chosen steel over aluminium as it will allow a little more abortion from impacts, the down side of this is that they will be slightly heavier, but not by much tbh

Edited by ashleysmith

What grade steel have you chosen? Good 1000ish MPA steel?

I know that plain non heat treated 7075 Alu is around 270ish MPA

That 7075 heat treated to T6 is around 520 MPA

Good stainless is around 500 MPA but around twice the weight of Alu

Good steel is around 1000ish MPA and again around twice the weight of alu

Good Titanium Alloy (Not commercially pure, as that is softer) is again around the same strength as good steel at about 1000ish MPA but is about 60% the weight of steel, hence it being used as armor in the Mi24 line of gunships.....

Edited by GorillaZilla

There out of mild steel bud, tbh after seeing the results today, I definatly think they'll be strong enough, however... The waterjet company scaled the drawing for some reason, I don't even know why, all I can say is idiots!

So they are going to re do them for me and I should have them back next week, on the plus side, I found a company closer to me that zinc passivate, and even them in colors too, so I might get a selection of colors too :-) urgh more delays, but close, so damn close, I'll post a pic tomorrow of the ones I have here now, just for your perusal :-)

• 1 month later...

I've now had to replace the rear diff housing twice in 2 bashes due to hard arse first landing ripping the case apart. I have the CNC towers, but I don't think they're secured through the second holes at the moment. Either way I will probably be interested in a set of nice strong cheap towers for when I eventually destroy mine.

Basically, I was screwed over by the company who made the first batch (which were wrong) and even though they said they would redo them for me, they didn't, telling me that I had made the error, and that their machines where perfectly correct. And as I didn't have an invoice from them (was never given one) they just palmed me off... Anyhow, I'm now back at Uni, so I'm unable to do much ATM, I have the design still, and when I have the time/funds I will put them into production... I have the first batch (the wrong ones) that if anyone wants to pay postage on a set or two... Your welcome to use them as ninja Death Stars, but other than that they are virtually useless....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This project kind of got canceled when the CNC company making the First batch screwed up,  and didn't take responsibility for it,  Not doing another corrected batch or refunding the cost.....

Just pickup a couple sets of Hyper SS shockTowers and Double them up.       They use the extra holes in the gearbox,  so doubling them up works as well as the ST Pro towers and what these towers would have been had they been made.

You will just need longer screws to compensate for the Extra Thick ShockTowers ;-)

Edited by GorillaZilla