• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamyia Wild Dagger conversion?

swingy_p

evening all,

my first post in electric lol, have been out with my boys with there wild dagger and one of the two motor's has burned out!

now was thinking of either up-grading the motor's to better brushed ones or to converting it to a brushless set up. now the brushed idea will be the easiest and cheepest but was wondering how hard and what would be needed to convert it to brushless?

I had a brushed twin detonator (same as the wild dagger but with a different shell)

I used an hpi gt 14.4v esc with 2 x gt 550 motors

I dremelled out the space above where the battery sits so a second battery could fit.

I also changed the connectors to deans

Best to get some decent nimhs too - 2 x 7.2v vapextech 5000mah would be a good start :)

I think theres a guy on here that also has a wild dagger and was upgrading it to brushless, might be worth having a search for it.

Get some decent shocks for it too!

have got 5x 4500mah battery's at the mo and shocks have already been upgraded, has a storm X esc which is limitless as to what motors its running and could also be switched to use lipo's, not thought about running two battery's lol would give it a little more go and run time would b a little longer :thumbsup:

will have a search through the posts and see if i can find hi and see how he got on

cheers

have got 5x 4500mah battery's at the mo and shocks have already been upgraded, has a storm X esc which is limitless as to what motors its running and could also be switched to use lipo's, not thought about running two battery's lol would give it a little more go and run time would b a little longer :thumbsup:

will have a search through the posts and see if i can find hi and see how he got on

cheers

Piece of cake- you would just connect both BL escs to the receiver via a little servo Y-splitter, so that the throttle signal is the same on both escs & motors- nothing else to it. If one motor needs to be reversed, you just swap 2 wires around on one of the motors to reverse it's direction of rotation. I'd say something like a 35amp esc and 9 to 13 turn 36x50mm motor should work perfectly. Staying brushed is easier though ofcourse, in which case something like 19 or 17 turn 540 motors will work nicely.

cheers for the advise guys and Neil will keep that in mind as gonna stay brushed for the time being, got 2 Ansmann 19Turn Double Tuned 540 motors for

Have you got a kimbrough servo saver?

I also padded out the sides of the servo to stop it flexing in the mounts.

Have you got some hub extenders for it? It was an upgrade I never got round to getting. I wanted to give the truck a wider stance to stop it rolling (as much) when hammering round corners etc

Whats your run time on those nimhs your using?

Piece of cake- you would just connect both BL escs to the receiver via a little servo Y-splitter, so that the throttle signal is the same on both escs & motors- nothing else to it. If one motor needs to be reversed, you just swap 2 wires around on one of the motors to reverse it's direction of rotation. I'd say something like a 35amp esc and 9 to 13 turn 36x50mm motor should work perfectly. Staying brushed is easier though ofcourse, in which case something like 19 or 17 turn 540 motors will work nicely.

Just make sure one of the ESC's Has it's "Red Wire" Disconnected.

Just disconnect the Red wire from one of the Splitter Inputs...

May be the Same ESC's, Running the Same Internal BEC's

But Wouldn't Risk it even so......

Edited by GorillaZilla

the truck is pretty much stock at the mo apart from the storm X ESC still waiting for the new motors to come, if you still have the links for the mods listed above will be worth having :thumbsup:

at the mo using stock motors we get around 20-30 mins out of one just messing about over the field and down the BMX track not tried with the twin set up yet was hoping to this weekend but waiting on the motors

hey GorillaZilla, we related? lol

Just make sure one of the ESC's Has it's "Red Wire" Disconnected.

Just disconnect the Red wire from one of the Splitter Inputs...

May be the Same ESC's, Running the Same Internal BEC's

But Wouldn't Risk it even so......

cheers for that, will bare that in mind when the time comes that i change over to brushless :yes:

im currently running a wild dagger with a twin brushless set up! and with every thing else standard (apart from i have axle extenders from junfac) its brilliant! not used lipos with stock chassis but the extra speed and toruqe for clibing is worth the cost! im now running a custom chassis with has extended the wheel base to 15" and will be using lipos (first lipo run tomoro) also scrapping the axle extenders and converting to run hpi rush rear lower arms! the axle extenders will bend the axle over time i say time about 5 packs (i do bash really hard!)

heres my thread :-) only change of late is the battery tray has gone

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/135824-pumping-new-life-in-to-an-old-wild-dagger-updatde-25412/page__p__1331886#entry1331886

snake

• 4 weeks later...

hiya,

bit of an update, as new motors have finally arrived (1st order lost in post!) decided on staying brushed for now anyway.

have now got round to fitting them both and shifted a few things around so can get a second battery fitted (run times around 40mins)

fitted some new bearings (got rid of the plastic bushes) and fitted some new shocks all round.

gallery_25960_1874_228527.jpg

gallery_25960_1874_1181962.jpg

• 7 years later...
On 20/06/2012 at 16:16, swingy_p said:

hiya,

bit of an update, as new motors have finally arrived (1st order lost in post!) decided on staying brushed for now anyway.

have now got round to fitting them both and shifted a few things around so can get a second battery fitted (run times around 40mins)

fitted some new bearings (got rid of the plastic bushes) and fitted some new shocks all round.

gallery_25960_1874_228527.jpg

gallery_25960_1874_1181962.jpg

Looks great! 

hello pretty new to the rc stuff but dont like the pin spike tyres on my wild dagger what is a good option its mostly used on tarmac and concrete what are those on swingy-ps dagger anyone know thanks andy
Welcome to the group [emoji1303]

There HPI #2160 - SUPER STAR MT WHEELS (CHROME/DEEP OFFSET/2pcs) rims with Schumacher Disc. Chevron 127 Truck Tyres

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk