• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

I made a little discovery, if you want to make the shock rate a lot slower without changing oil, shock pistons or entire shocks, you can undo the nut on the piston and put a small, thin, M4 washer on then tighten the nut onto it, the hole in the washer is just the right size so it gets centred by the nut but won't slip over the nut, perfect if you want more stability during speed runs.

• Like 1

Hi, I have a brushless carnage/bugsta and just want to know of any good upgrades for it.

Aftermarket shocks ect.

Also, my 3s batteries are way too big for the battery posts so ive isntalled some aftermarket ones, however they dont fit in the hex slot provided, is there any that are tall enough (60mm length roughly) and fit properly in the hex slot?

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EJ8277 said:

Hi, I have a brushless carnage/bugsta and just want to know of any good upgrades for it.

Aftermarket shocks ect.

Also, my 3s batteries are way too big for the battery posts so ive isntalled some aftermarket ones, however they dont fit in the hex slot provided, is there any that are tall enough (60mm length roughly) and fit properly in the hex slot?

Thanks.

Overlander sport track 3s packs have the same dimensions as the factory 2s pack, I run the overlanders myself, I believe the Spektrum smart packs up to 4s might also just about fit, though the carbon battery hold down plate might give just that little extra wiggle room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EJ8277 said:

I use body posts, you can get hobao body posts that fit the battery tray hex, it will give you way more room.
As seen here.
IMAG1677.thumb.jpg.752379b873f81c468a2b956cd942c8b0.jpgIMAG1679.thumb.jpg.9d7164d1943902ed8a09b521bfe56458.jpg

Edited by Redback

12 minutes ago, Redback said:

I use body posts, you can get hobao body posts that fit the battery tray hex, it will give you way more room.
As seen here.
IMAG1677.thumb.jpg.752379b873f81c468a2b956cd942c8b0.jpgIMAG1679.thumb.jpg.9d7164d1943902ed8a09b521bfe56458.jpg

In the second image, does it still have the slipper clutch? I've also been toying with making a new upper chassis plate for my Vantage to make more space and give more space, also been trying to find metal gearboxes that house the diffs, I almost always break the plastic ones at some point.

11 hours ago, Redback said:

As seen here.

Can you link the posts you are on about

16 hours ago, Gari_Ferret said:

In the second image, does it still have the slipper clutch? I've also been toying with making a new upper chassis plate for my Vantage to make more space and give more space, also been trying to find metal gearboxes that house the diffs, I almost always break the plastic ones at some point.

No slipper, i have a custom drive shaft i made so i can run 5mm bore pinions as spurs, this is my speed runner, there are no metal diff cases or bulkheads for the ftx range afaik.
Will look for the posts, cant place the link atm.

8 hours ago, EJ8277 said:

Can you link the posts you are on about

Right my mistake not hobao, one is a rc4wd body post (sliced the side off). the other is an ftx front body post.
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/210010/

Top car is body post as battery tray post. Same as the front body posts. See link above.
20230310_192648.jpg

Here you can see the rc4wd post thats been trimmed on the sides to seat correctly.
And my 5mm diff output shaft with a pinion as a spur gear.

20230310_192744.jpg

On 10/03/2023 at 19:32, Redback said:

Right my mistake not hobao, one is a rc4wd body post (sliced the side off). the other is an ftx front body post.
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/210010/

Top car is body post as battery tray post. Same as the front body posts. See link above.
20230310_192648.jpg

Here you can see the rc4wd post thats been trimmed on the sides to seat correctly.
And my 5mm diff output shaft with a pinion as a spur gear.

20230310_192744.jpg

Yeah i used them body posts originally, but because they dont fit into the hex slot the posts spun and stripped the threads after some heavy bashing.

• 3 weeks later...

So started to move my Bugsta over to the aluminium chassis (FTX6377) but I noticed that as with the carbon fibre one the spur gear is very exposed unlike the plastic one.  Has anyone done anything with this or is the dirt intake minimal here?

Also is there any concern with the battery being secure as you don’t have the same ridges as the plastic one?

Edited by SXFoxstar
More specific details

On 02/04/2023 at 00:38, SXFoxstar said:

So started to move my Bugsta over to the aluminium chassis (FTX6377) but I noticed that as with the carbon fibre one the spur gear is very exposed unlike the plastic one.  Has anyone done anything with this or is the dirt intake minimal here?

Also is there any concern with the battery being secure as you don’t have the same ridges as the plastic one?

I fit the same chassis onto my lads Vantage, not had any issues yet regarding damage to the exposed spur.

I did have to alter the studs which hold the battery, the rounded lipo could easily shift and rub against the centre driveshaft etc.

I just fitted a screw into the top threads and had a bit of rubber tube around this.

I reckon a lipo with completely squared edges wouldn't have this issue.

• Like 2

Recently ordered a compatible VRX Spirit aluminium chassis for my vantage and aluminium shock towers from aliexpress as I got fed up with breaking the plastic ones and I didn't want to pay £66 for the carbon one in case I broke that too, hoping it should be arriving tomorrow with the postman.

19 minutes ago, Gari_Ferret said:

Recently ordered a compatible VRX Spirit aluminium chassis for my vantage and aluminium shock towers from aliexpress as I got fed up with breaking the plastic ones and I didn't want to pay £66 for the carbon one in case I broke that too, hoping it should be arriving tomorrow with the postman.

I also got some carbon towers, knowing its good bye diff bulk heads, take the cheapest weakest part and made it stronger than the diff housings, when roll overs occur now all the force goes into the top of the diff housing.

Luckly its not a basher and head flips are rare, just a pre warning try and keep it off its roof 😉

23 minutes ago, Redback said:

I also got some carbon towers, knowing its good bye diff bulk heads, take the cheapest weakest part and made it stronger than the diff housings, when roll overs occur now all the force goes into the top of the diff housing.

Luckly its not a basher and head flips are rare, just a pre warning try and keep it off its roof 😉

Hard to keep it on it's wheels at high speeds with an off-road vehicle I think. 😅

Can anyone help me perhaps with photos on how they have changed the  Bugsta/Carnage battery hold when switching to aluminium chassis to prevent it sliding into drive shaft?

IMG_1260.jpeg

On 12/03/2023 at 09:53, Ftx vantage user said:

What LiPo batteries I can use in brushed FTX vantage? My old NiMh voltz 4600's protective shell just melted . Is there any batteries??

20230312_115021.thumb.jpg.5876e5fa8783d507edd25e88baaec1f5.jpg

A 2s lipo will be fine, just make sure you set yr esc to lipo so you don't fully discharge it👍

• Like 1

On 02/04/2023 at 00:38, SXFoxstar said:

Swapping spur and pinion for steel ones is fit and forget. They eat gravel for breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SXFoxstar said:

Can anyone help me perhaps with photos on how they have changed the  Bugsta/Carnage battery hold when switching to aluminium chassis to prevent it sliding into drive shaft?

IMG_1260.jpeg

That rubber netting that people use to stop their phone sliding off the dashboard works well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2023 at 10:52, SXFoxstar said:

IMG_1260.jpeg

Those small blue pegs are threaded, threadlock two bolts in from the top of the two inner pegs.

Then put some sort of rubber tube over the bolt for protection.

That's basically what I did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/04/2023 at 15:13, Redback said:

So I took her out today after rebuilding on the aluminium chassis and on the factory 2s she was a handful off-road but on 3s 55c... Wheelies, at 45mph, anytime I even looked at full throttle, resulted in blowing out the foams of the front wheels but other than that, only had the ESC come loose(the sticky pad was dirty anyway) and lost a couple of screws despite all the tumbles. 😅 Think I might need to find belted tyres or something, be nice if I could fit dboots somehow, would there be a way of doing so?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gari_Ferret said:

So I took her out today after rebuilding on the aluminium chassis and on the factory 2s she was a handful off-road but on 3s 55c... Wheelies, at 45mph, anytime I even looked at full throttle, resulted in blowing out the foams of the front wheels but other than that, only had the ESC come loose(the sticky pad was dirty anyway) and lost a couple of screws despite all the tumbles. 😅 Think I might need to find belted tyres or something, be nice if I could fit dboots somehow, would there be a way of doing so?

Yeah can get hex adaptors for 1/8th wheels to 1/10 hex