• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

On 30/07/2019 at 09:39, Viper1968 said:

OK peeps I'm looking for recommendations on tyres for my Vantage as now it's brushless and shifts like lightning the stock tyres are now on the edge of being bald as I have run a few tests drives in my parking area. Obviously I want two sets, one for onroad and a set for offroad/track. Running mydoddy69 brushless 3650 3900kv and oh my its nippy lol. Got an absima esc in it also. 

Fastrax do 12mm hex wheel/tyre combos for on and off-road. In fact I posted a link to YouTube in this thread a day or two ago where these guys get 56mph from a vantage. I’m sure I remember they are using the fastrax road wheels and tyres. Pretty sure modelsport stock em...... https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-wheel-tyre-sets/rc-car-manufacturers/8/9960/996020

This isn’t what you actually asked for, a recommendation, but hopefully helpful.

20 hours ago, hunty3000 said:

I can not seem to find the carbon shock towers for sale anymore for the FTX vantage pro so im going to have some made if anyone is interested. Check it out on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ftx-Vantage-pro-front-Shock-tower-Anodised-Aluminium-Hop-Up/223605582521?hash=item340fee6ab9:g:t2UAAOSwfmldQGJr

ShockTowerBlue.jpg

Sorry if I’m pi**ing on your chips but....

These are available....https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=365791

and although they might be a few grams heavier, I think they are stronger than the pro version as the don’t have all the cutouts.

Not sure I’d want an Aluminium version.... surely prone to bending?

These have been out of stock also. Must of now had some in. Ive just ordered plastic ones aswell😡. I dont like the look of them but they do look like they will be stronger as one roll with the original carbon towers and they snap clean off. Thats why i think i would prefer aluminium ones as at least they will bend and you can finish the race and replace it after. i also think anodized aluminium looks better than carbon.

I can imagine the Pro versions snapping but I have the ones I posted a link to and (I probably shouldn’t tempt fate here! Lol) they have been great, showing no signs of snapping yet, despite plenty of upside down action.

But I see your point, if they do snap that’s that ( I have a set of plastic spares, just in case) whereas I guess you can probably hammer the Alu ones flat again after if you needed to.

Personally think I prefer the look of the carbon but I’d bet the blue Alu ones look pretty cool too. Would be interested to see a pic if/when you fit them.

On 30/07/2019 at 17:24, hunty3000 said:

I can not seem to find the carbon shock towers for sale anymore for the FTX vantage pro so im going to have some made if anyone is interested. Check it out on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ftx-Vantage-pro-front-Shock-tower-Anodised-Aluminium-Hop-Up/223605582521?hash=item340fee6ab9:g:t2UAAOSwfmldQGJr

ShockTowerBlue.jpg

Maybe I’m missing something but it states preorder but also states 5 available ? Surely if you have them available it would be better to post an actual picture of what folks are getting rather than a cad drawing? Is it you need 5 preorders before they can be made ? What’s the turn around time from buying to actually getting them in hand ? 

What are they made from in terms of grade of alloy ?  Are you doing both rear and front or just the front ? 

If you want to go cheap you could always just make a simple alloy plate to strengthen the plastic ones so what would be the advantage of these please 

On 23/07/2019 at 00:45, Fat Freddy said:

@Jay R I quite like the look of this one 👍

https://banggood.app.link/Wo1YZ43HxY

1DE4B7C1-115A-4BAB-B410-8FD140CCCD18.jpeg

Ordered this a few weeks ago, for the princely sum of £9.50 (inc shipping from China!).

I wasn’t expecting much and knew I’d have to hack it pretty mercilessly to make it fit but thought it might be a laugh trying. A sort of exploratory dip into alternative body shells for the vantage without too much investment.

I wasn’t expecting this.....lol.

49159C37-E5FC-4ADB-8017-9E1C95685EC2.jpeg

Anyways, after emailing them pics, they’ve agreed to give me a refund.

I’m going to set about it with some hot water later and see if I can salvage it at all. It was only ever meant for bashing anyway. 

D21D7115-830A-4654-B849-8A729245AF44.jpeg

11 hours ago, Always wanted an Avante... said:

Given I have to replace upgrade those anything else people would recommend I upgrade or buy spares for at the same time?

replacing the gearbox housing looks a pain...

brushless rtr vantage

cheers!

Carbon upper chassis plate. Carnage front bumper.

2 hours ago, PH001 said:

Carbon upper chassis plate. Carnage front bumper.

+1 on that. 

+ while you got the diff housing off, replace the plastic suspension arm holders for the Alu versions. 

9 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Snap on for me.... 👍 Or blue point (snap on rebrand) 

🤣🤣 only slightly over kill for a £100 toy though 🤣👍

all you you need for this is a pair of pliers and a 2mm hex driver and possible a 2.5mm or you can get a decent set for like £20 Which is more than enough for these 🤣

15 hours ago, Always wanted an Avante... said:

Given I have to replace upgrade those anything else people would recommend I upgrade or buy spares for at the same time?

replacing the gearbox housing looks a pain...

brushless rtr vantage

cheers!

Upgrade as you break stuff or you could end up with a load of unnecessary bits you don’t need ! Better to bash and break it as everybody will recommend this or that but in all honest you might find you don’t need it 👍

27 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Upgrade as you break stuff or you could end up with a load of unnecessary bits you don’t need ! Better to bash and break it as everybody will recommend this or that but in all honest you might find you don’t need it 👍

Agreed, upgrade as you break. The only reason I mentioned the suspension arm holders is you have to remove the diff housing to fit them, and as you are removing it anyway......

32 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

🤣🤣 only slightly over kill for a £100 toy though 🤣👍

all you you need for this is a pair of pliers and a 2mm hex driver and possible a 2.5mm or you can get a decent set for like £20 Which is more than enough for these 🤣

I got a fastrax hex (Allen) key set with four different sizes from 1-3mm stored in the handle for £12. Does most of what I need but found a longer 2mm one handy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

I got a fastrax hex (Allen) key set with four different sizes from 1-3mm stored in the handle for £12. Does most of what I need but found a longer 2mm one handy

Sorry, I meant a long 2.5mm one. It makes it much easier to set the pinion mesh. 

These and a pair of pliers are enough to do pretty much everything.👍

98AD4D62-612D-4881-B314-A53D40D03F92.jpeg