• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

On 26/05/2019 at 22:12, daveyboi73 said:

Indeed . I run 32 DP on both carnage and vantage. I do a delrin 32DP spur too :D

Unfortunately i rushed in headfirst without doing the proper research and bought a delrin 48p and a steel 0.6 mod from Ebay. A delrin 32p would have been best for me i think

I'm planning to run the 0.6 steel spur, alongside a steel 17t pinion. But before i run this set up i'm waiting for the carbon top plates to come back into stock first just in case i chew the steel one from the chassis flexing.

Can someone confirm as well as i'm quite new to the Carnage that there are 3 generations of stock chassis?

Some had holes in the battery tray
Some (mines) has a slot cut out under the speed gear
And the newer ones don't have the **** cut out in the battery or the spur.

Do any of the carbon /. aluminum chassis have the slot under the spur covered up like the newest plastic chassis?

No they don’t unfortunately. I personally avoid carbon fibre but many use it. Just don’t go modding, cutting or drilling it without reading up on it first.

the car definitely benefits from a stiffer chassis. Why there isn’t an aluminium top plate available I have no idea.

12 hours ago, Nickarla said:

No they don’t unfortunately. I personally avoid carbon fibre but many use it. Just don’t go modding, cutting or drilling it without reading up on it first.

the car definitely benefits from a stiffer chassis. Why there isn’t an aluminium top plate available I have no idea.

How about this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTX-Carnage-Aluminium-Top-Deck-Plate-Upgrade/333163932237?hash=item4d921e2a4d:g:XekAAOSwlf5cuixp&frcectupt=true

I had one. The problem is the alloy will bend under heavy impacts and bends the center shaft etc, and then straightening it weakens it over time. The carbon plate is better bet, but yes dont cut it etc as the dust is really really bad for you.

On 30/05/2019 at 22:52, Hardcore said:

Unfortunately i rushed in headfirst without doing the proper research and bought a delrin 48p and a steel 0.6 mod from Ebay. A delrin 32p would have been best for me i think

I'm planning to run the 0.6 steel spur, alongside a steel 17t pinion. But before i run this set up i'm waiting for the carbon top plates to come back into stock first just in case i chew the steel one from the chassis flexing.

Can someone confirm as well as i'm quite new to the Carnage that there are 3 generations of stock chassis?

Some had holes in the battery tray
Some (mines) has a slot cut out under the speed gear
And the newer ones don't have the **** cut out in the battery or the spur.

Do any of the carbon /. aluminum chassis have the slot under the spur covered up like the newest plastic chassis?

All the alloy chassis have a cutout for spur. You can make a simple cover from a peice of lexan or similar. You can buy a sheet of lexan off ebay for a few quid. Here a quick one i did.You can also trace round the plate and cut out a full lexan skid plate too.

WP_20181105_20_14_32_Pro.jpg

20 hours ago, daveyboi73 said:

All the alloy chassis have a cutout for spur. You can make a simple cover from a peice of lexan or similar. You can buy a sheet of lexan off ebay for a few quid. Here a quick one i did.You can also trace round the plate and cut out a full lexan skid plate too.

WP_20181105_20_14_32_Pro.jpg

Or you can buy a made to fit cover if it’s the vantage not sure if they do one for the carnage though 

https://ftx-rc.com/index.php?_route_=rc-bodyshells/ftx-vantage-pro-undertray-clear-pc

16 minutes ago, daveyboi73 said:

Not for the carnage :(

Ah just cut some plastic packaging and make a spure cover like nick did with the motor mounts. Or just chop up the vantage rear pieces and see if it's compatible. 

On 01/06/2019 at 13:01, daveyboi73 said:

I had one. The problem is the alloy will bend under heavy impacts and bends the center shaft etc, and then straightening it weakens it over time. The carbon plate is better bet, but yes dont cut it etc as the dust is really really bad for you.

Interesting. The Maverick range use aluminium top plates and don’t seem to suffer from that issue.

21 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

I always wondered whether I should have gone for the Maverick XT but the Carnage is always the popular one. Why is that?

Maybe because Maverick is owned by HPI and they’ve gone bust again ? 

On 02/06/2019 at 19:06, Nickarla said:

That wasn’t a factor over the last decade plus HPI don’t even make it.

I was always lead to believe Maverick is a sister company of HPI Racing so if one goes bust they both do ? Maybe I missed something then ? Does look odd though not a lot of HPI bits about nor Maverick ? 

On 05/06/2019 at 09:27, mydoddy69 said:

I was always lead to believe Maverick is a sister company of HPI Racing so if one goes bust they both do ? Maybe I missed something then ? Does look odd though not a lot of HPI bits about nor Maverick ? 

Not really. HPI buy in HSP items spray a few bits gold and call them Maverick.