• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

sorry if im barking up the wrong tree again (did i even use that phrase right?) ,but ive seen a bsd racing differential on modelsport. i wonder if that is compatible. even if it is weak. because bsd also make a steel version of that same spur. Would that be better for any differential issues?

So the Carnage arrived today and when I went searching for my radio gear I found a brushless motor I must have bought on a whim previously!

If I were to fit that (and yes I have the necessary ESC) would I need to change the pinion?

I have tried searching but there is so much info in 200+ pages

You don’t have too, it’ll run fine but you might want to. I went down to 14t on my 3300kv as I found 17t too fast for the woods.

Edited by Nickarla
  • Like 1

Thanks @nickarla -  the motor states crazypony 3650 5200KV

I also have lipo here (5200 50C) but awaiting a decent charger, would that change your answer?

I’ve not tried a kv that high but from what others have suggested then yes, I would be more inclined to gear down unless I was using it on a long tarmac stretch or smooth grass and going for speed runs. You may want to invest in a RW pinion as well.

Where are you planning to use it?

At the moment on a mixture of fairly fine gravel up to quite chunky hardcore (empty space by work used as a car park sometimes).

Managed to strip the spur on my vantage on the latter already, but that may have been my fault not checking the mesh before using - live and learn!

If it’s the new chassis with the enclosed spur gear sealed up (look for the rectangle underneath the spur gear) then it’s more than likely the grit and stones getting in. They sit in there as they get trapped and eat away at the teeth.

4 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

If it’s the new chassis with the enclosed spur gear sealed up (look for the rectangle underneath the spur gear) then it’s more than likely the grit and stones getting in. They sit in there as they get trapped and eat away at the teeth.

Sorry, I switched cars in my reply. I have both Vantage & Carnage brushed. The vantage has a completely enclosed spur and the newer Carnage also has the spur covering underneath.

The enclosed spur gear is a good idea but you need to seal up the holes that allow stones and grit in around the slipper clutch area. Once I had done this I never had a stripped spur again.

I cant remember where but in the last few months I did a simple guide on doing this. All it involved in some plastic and superglue.

13 hours ago, Rompy said:

Thanks @nickarla -  the motor states crazypony 3650 5200KV

I also have lipo here (5200 50C) but awaiting a decent charger, would that change your answer?

Gear up I say..... 

Its funny.... As Nickarla said... Its about where you're running it... Wide open spaces need taller gearing.... Enclosed spaces... Shorter gearing..... 

But..... If you gear down too much... You'll find is a nightmare to keep in a straight line on launch... 

2s or 3s?

• Like 1

I have recently replaced my Bugsta wheels with Carnage wheels which combined with the 14t pinion results in something similar to what you mention. But rather than gearing up I will turn down the esc launch/punch as I like the torque and hill climbing ability that is on offer with this set up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

I have recently replaced my Bugsta wheels with Carnage wheels which combined with the 14t pinion results in something similar to what you mention. But rather than gearing up I will turn down the esc launch/punch as I like the torque and hill climbing ability that is on offer with this set up.

You can also achieve this by tuning your diff oils..... 

Thicker up front, thinner at the rear helps it to pull and not push you down the road... 

Not sure if you're ftx diffs can be filled though?? 

4 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

2s or 3s?

2s - I had to look back at the order to find out as it doesn't state it on the pack itself

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

You can also achieve this by tuning your diff oils..... 

Thicker up front, thinner at the rear helps it to pull and not push you down the road... 

Not sure if you're ftx diffs can be filled though?? 

They leak if you fill them with oil. 

10 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Gear up I say..... 

Its funny.... As Nickarla said... Its about where you're running it... Wide open spaces need taller gearing.... Enclosed spaces... Shorter gearing..... 

But..... If you gear down too much... You'll find is a nightmare to keep in a straight line on launch... 

2s or 3s?

I can vouch for that, I'm currently running 18T 3s and its ridiculous off the line

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

I can vouch for that, I'm currently running 18T 3s and its ridiculous off the line

Lol...when you've hit that power level things get really fun eh dude???

Its amazing how much you can gear up using a good motor and ESC on 3s in lightweight rigs....

You can counter the torque twist on launch with high grip tyres etc etc..... But I find its best to leave some give anyway.... Otherwise things start breaking.....

Its interesting how using 3s with a high kV motor increases wheel rpm that much that it has a heavy gyroscopic effect too..

This is why having three diffs , that hold oil, helps you out I noticed.... When using spool setup , like in ftx and BSD etc etc, its hard to find a balance

All good fun....!!!!

So I’m thinking of getting this for some cheap fun 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-vandal-1-10-4wd-electric-racing-buggy-kit.html

I take it it’s the same as the FTX Vantage ? 

Any of you guys know if the VRX sprint is the same as well there seems to be lots of parts for it on AliExpress they even do a race kit with carbon fibre chassis etc ! 

Yes they are the same indeed !!!

Chinese company River hobby  supplies Ftx / Turnigy etc and its own racing  sub brand is VRX racing :D

Some of the full carbon and alloy VRX racing chassis are well worth the cash,much cheaper way of getting upgrades too.

Yep...kinda wished I realised this before buying the FTX.

You could have picked up a brushless ‘Vantage’ rtr for £64 a couple of weeks back when they had an offer on. Very tempted just because it was so cheap even though I didn’t really need one.

Edited by Nickarla

Hi

can I pick your collective brains please? My son has brushed bugsta with a standard motor (fIrly new) update speed controller - the hobby craft one I thinks it’s called that nickarla (?) recommended previously (thanks) and lipos one 2s others 1s. It’s worked great for ages, really quick. Then the servo died. So I eventually got round to replacing it, again with the one that gets recommended on here (which is a million times better than the original - really responsive). So just tried it out. Same thing happens with every battery including a pretty new one - goes like **** off a stick for a minute then slows considerably as if the battery were flat. When I unplug the battery and plug it back in again it goes back to normal for another minute then slows down. It’s as if theres a protection mechanism kicking in or something? The motor and speed controller are relatively cool so I don’t know what’s going on - any ideas please?

thanks

luke 

The esc is rated for 2s-3s lipos. The voltage is going to be wrong with 1s so I’m not surprised it’s playing up. Also, what mah is the 2s? If it’s low then it would be the LVC cutting the power as you drain the battery quite quickly with low capacities.

Thanks for the response. I thought if it was ok for 2s it would be ok for 1s. It’s 5000mAh. 20-30C. It seems strange that we’ve never had issues with any of the batteries before though. Stop press. I just remembered what I changed last time we took it out. The jumper on the ESE was set to nihm so I changed it to lipo. I’ve changed it back to nihm and it works fine again now. But if I’m using lipos surely it should be the other setting? Or is it because I’m using a brushed motor so it should be set on nihm even though we’re using lipos?