• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Carnage with FPV today was really good fun. This was actually a trial to test the setup before putting it on my plane but it is so much fun I will definitely be doing this again!
8df9ebf8e5d0ac311114352bf6146ded.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave Shann said:

Just replaced a spur on my Vantage - does this mesh look OK? Still a bit unsure on how it should be!

4382da2b1130ef6af4b89291b5e9527f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not switch it on! That's more of a Sean Connery mesh than a proper mesh (Say "Mess" in a Connery voice). Get a small strip of paper and put it between the spur and pinion, the mesh is correct when the paper comes out creased but not thin or torn. There should be just the slightest rock between the spur and pinion.

• Like 2

Do not switch it on! That's more of a Sean Connery mesh than a proper mesh (Say "Mess" in a Connery voice). Get a small strip of paper and put it between the spur and pinion, the mesh is correct when the paper comes out creased but not thin or torn. There should be just the slightest rock between the spur and pinion.

d9fc4ec2f0ba46a11ced83de1872954b.jpg

How's this look? Only slight play now [emoji106]

1 minute ago, Dave Shann said:

d9fc4ec2f0ba46a11ced83de1872954b.jpg

How's this look? Only slight play now emoji106.png

That's way better dude.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave Shann said:

I did the paper trick and applied a little more pressure than before emoji106.png

Thanks man

No worries mate, we've all been noobs lol. You'll soon be doing it by eye every time :good:

• Like 1

hey guys,

so this is my carnage so far, iv replaced the spur gear 3 times and pinion once (still waiting on the upgraded one as modle sport has no stock :( ) and one slip plate as a stone tore one up, do these take a little bit to ware in, as my spur gear is slipping and its screwed on normal amount, (i measure each time)

think i need to find a less stoney spot :D

new chassis, cover mod i made, and new wheels

IMG_6630.jpg.6199ce979299f26021c45d476e86a9a4.jpg

for anyone who buys the radshape chassis, i had to add a couple of washers to the stearing post as it keeped catching, there is a bit more of a bend on the metal chassis compared to the plastic

IMG_66312.jpg.f2b1f664ce7ae9d099b090de6d11f4fa.jpg

my boys birthday comng up so will have 2 of these in the family soon, going to get him one so we can race about in them, these things are so much fun!! and cheep to repair and mod :D

hey guys,
so this is my carnage so far, iv replaced the spur gear 3 times and pinion once (still waiting on the upgraded one as modle sport has no stock [emoji20] ) and one slip plate as a stone tore one up, do these take a little bit to ware in, as my spur gear is slipping and its screwed on normal amount, (i measure each time)
think i need to find a less stoney spot [emoji3]

new chassis, cover mod i made, and new wheels
IMG_6630.jpg.6199ce979299f26021c45d476e86a9a4.jpg

for anyone who buys the radshape chassis, i had to add a couple of washers to the stearing post as it keeped catching, there is a bit more of a bend on the metal chassis compared to the plastic
IMG_66312.jpg.f2b1f664ce7ae9d099b090de6d11f4fa.jpg

my boys birthday comng up so will have 2 of these in the family soon, going to get him one so we can race about in them, these things are so much fun!! and cheep to repair and mod [emoji3]

Can't see the pics but I've been through a fair few spurs myself!

My son prefers the Vantage but it's fun when we're both out with them.

• 2 months later...

Just bought my 3rd Carnage....just waiting for it to be delivered! 

Going to initially keep it brushed! However, maybe next year will look to switch it to brushed. Depending on how much play time we get over the summer!

Not told the Mrs yet...but it was one of those offers that are just too good to refuse!!! lol

hi everyone

just to let you know that radshaperc are bringing out a aluminum chassis for the vantage and shock towers and centre brace for both vantage and carnage.

should be available in the next few months

thanks

Will the standard radio from a brushed Carnage cope with a brushless setup? Also looking at upgrading to a brushless set up..whats a good one to go for sub £60ish not including batteries.

11 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

Will the standard radio from a brushed Carnage cope with a brushless setup? Also looking at upgrading to a brushless set up..whats a good one to go for sub £60ish not including batteries.

the radio gear is the same for the brushed and the brushless models mate.

as for a brushless combo set up the one that comes in the brushless carnage is about £70 and its a gd combo and fast on 3s lipo

• Like 1

How would people rate this vs the standard combo that comes with the FTX?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-waterproof-1-10-brushless-power-system-3000kv-80a.html?___store=en_us

Also is 3000kv ideal for the FTX...I mainly use this is carparks and very occasionally short grass!

Edited by vimto2000
More Info

Just picked up the ETronix Brushless combo from the for sales...what batteries do people recommend for this combo?? I prefer hard cased and longer run times. 

Does the Carnage cope well with the 3S, or is it more sensible going for 2S?

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello guys i am having some trouble.i just got my ftx carnage and i was looking in the manual of how to setup the antenna

As u can see from the photo on the link there should be this small rubber top i should put on the tube but it was not in my packaging so what should i do?? And how do u guys have your antenna .

Thanks in advance

http://picpaste.com/IMG_20170719_115707-Mmc383yJ.jpg

Hi all 

2 questions if I may regarding the Carnage which I have 2 nitro ones

Is there a roto start / drill start backplate available for the Go .18 ?

(I can't pull the starter very well )

I would love a brushless Carnage but can't afford one and wondered how expensive it would be

to convert one of my nitro ones, so wondered if its worth doing ?

(I have the electrics)

On 17/07/2017 at 10:39, vimto2000 said:

How would people rate this vs the standard combo that comes with the FTX?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-waterproof-1-10-brushless-power-system-3000kv-80a.html?___store=en_us

Also is 3000kv ideal for the FTX...I mainly use this is carparks and very occasionally short grass!

I have that motor in my Hooligan. I was running the 80a ESC in it too but I've switched to a Hobbywing unit. I'm running the Hooligan on 3s.

My Carnage is running the 80a/3520kv combo on  2s and is very happy.

Just switched all my Tamiya connectors for Dean connectors. Not a job I want to do again. However, so much better! Plus I paid a little extra for the original Amass ones... Well worth the money!! 

Will do Xt90 ones on my brushless! 

Connectors.jpg

Edited by vimto2000

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, what the best options for shock oil? Also can you put oil in diffs or is it grease only? 

Just about to do my brushed to brushless conversion! So want to make sure it's all OK before it gets a hammering! 

Also is the sway bar a must? 

What's the best spur and pinion to go for on a brushless set up? 

Thanks all! 

27 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

Hey all, what the best options for shock oil? Also can you put oil in diffs or is it grease only? 

Just about to do my brushed to brushless conversion! So want to make sure it's all OK before it gets a hammering! 

Also is the sway bar a must? 

What's the best spur and pinion to go for on a brushless set up? 

Thanks all! 

Shock oil is a matter of preference for how you intend to use it... i jump alot so have pretty light oil front and rear, gearboxes are grease only.. no seal between the bottom of the box (which is open) and the chasis plate although for the manufactiring quality / tolerances of the carnage oil would be pointless anyway. R.E Pinion the only choice is the rw .6 pinion which is pretty bulletproof compared to the stock cheese item, spur gear options are standard or importing a metal one from the us.. i have a metal one but prefer to use the stock ones.. cheap as chips and imo a good sacrificial part which usually strips before causing more serious driveline damage.  Do you plan to run 3 or 2s? I run 3s and can eat a spur pretty quick as 3s is really just too hot.. however i don't mind repairs and carry plenty of spares.  As for sway bars... if you want better handling for racing  or high speed they are a must, if you are going to bash and jump they can reduce the effectiveness of the shocks a little on landings making the car over over stiff.. for the pice of them they are worth getting anyway really and just fitting and removing as suits

• Like 1

Cheers, really helpful suggestions! I've just stripped my carnage to put the motor in and realised the pinions are totally different size. Will go to my local hobby shop tomorrow to get a .6 one. Any suggestions on number of teeth. 

Running a 3000kv motor... It's mainly going to be on 2S however got a 3S for laughs. I tend to run on tarmac with tiny jumps. So really I don't bash hard. 

What do you class as soft oil for springs? I've got some 50k WT oil from my losi... Assume that ridiculously thick for this truck.