• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Hi everybody,

I am new with RC and brushless, I just bought a Vantage one week ago (this car really rocks!), and I have a question about batteries.

I read that the stock motor is designed to run with max 25c Lipo battery. If I buy a 5000mah 40-50c, will I damage the car or it simply would go faster?

Maybe better a 5000mah 25c?

Other question: I broke the rear wing, and I am worried about buying a new one since I am sure it will get broken again on a bad jump. Do you suggest a better spoiler upgrade? Something more robust...

Thanks

Have a look at the Quanum Vandal rear wings, (from hobbyking) if your willing to wait its like

• Like 1

I have great news! This guy who is located in the USA and makes a Aluminum Replacement Gear for Turnigy Trooper, Monster Beatle, etc will also make one for us Hobby King Vandal/FTX Vantage and Carnal owners.

How you would like to have it made? Aluminum or steel?  Hoe many teeth and what's the prefer pitch?  We can have it made it our way, what you guys prefer?  He is ready to make the first batch over the weekend.

Edited by cmarti

I have a Carnal. A metal spur in standard pitch/tooth count would be tops. Actually, make that 3 if the price is right. 

• Like 1

I have a Carnal. A metal spur in standard pitch/tooth count would be tops. Actually, make that 3 if the price is right. 

I think that using the standard pitch will be an issue because of the strength of the stock pinions. I think 32 pitch or 48 pitch would be better because you can buy steel pinions and they are readily available at your local hobby shop.

Let's see what the rest of the forum members have to say, guys speak up :)

Hey all.

I'm the one who will be making the Vandal/Vantage gears. I have also made gears for the Mini Trooper, Monster Beatle, etc. What I really need to know is if you guys want them made out of aluminum or steel. Also, 48 pitch or .6 mod? I made the Trooper gears out of aluminum with a hand ground tool, but have recently bought an actual 48 pitch cutter. I can't see even a steel pinion chewing up an aluminum gear (especially when plastic is stock). But I also understand the desire for the extra security of steel.

I sell the Trooper gears for $11.95 with free shipping to the U.S. on ebay. International shipping will not be free, but I will work with you on cost depending on how quickly you want it.

The Vandal/Vantage gear will be similarly priced for aluminum, but steel will probably be around $18-20 because it obviously machines slower.

Please post your opinions to let me know what you think. I appreciate all your input. Thanks a lot.

Travis

In a sense 48 would be good for me as I already have 3 vehicles running 48dp gears. Having said that, I also have a Carnage and Vandal and will soon be getting a Hooligan which I run with RW Pinions steel cogs. 

For those waiting for the Vandal/Vantage gears, I'm not going to be able to get to them today. Something came up, but I'll definitely have them done & up on ebay next weekend for sure. Sorry for the delay.

• Like 1

Hey all.

I'm the one who will be making the Vandal/Vantage gears. I have also made gears for the Mini Trooper, Monster Beatle, etc. What I really need to know is if you guys want them made out of aluminum or steel. Also, 48 pitch or .6 mod? I made the Trooper gears out of aluminum with a hand ground tool, but have recently bought an actual 48 pitch cutter. I can't see even a steel pinion chewing up an aluminum gear (especially when plastic is stock). But I also understand the desire for the extra security of steel.

I sell the Trooper gears for $11.95 with free shipping to the U.S. on ebay. International shipping will not be free, but I will work with you on cost depending on how quickly you want it.

The Vandal/Vantage gear will be similarly priced for aluminum, but steel will probably be around $18-20 because it obviously machines slower.

Please post your opinions to let me know what you think. I appreciate all your input. Thanks a lot.

Travis

For those interested, I have the Vandal/Vantage/Carnage/Banzai gears made & up for sale on ebay. Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64T-Aluminum.../131462345752?

• Like 1

For those interested, I have the Vandal/Vantage/Carnage/Banzai gears made & up for sale on ebay. Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64T-Aluminum.../131462345752?

Thank you Travis, the Spur gear finish looks awesome. No more changing the spur gear every time you hit the dirt track thanks to you!

Thank you Travis, the Spur gear finish looks awesome. No more changing the spur gear every time you hit the dirt track thanks to you!

Thanks Carlos.  I take great pride in my work and it's cool to be able to provide people with what they need. 

Still open to any other gear ideas that are giving you guys trouble.

I have made a 32 pitch gear for a Helion Dominus 1:10 scale for a friend also. Not sure how common that one is, but it's out there.

Thanks Carlos.  I take great pride in my work and it's cool to be able to provide people with what they need. 

Still open to any other gear ideas that are giving you guys trouble.

I have made a 32 pitch gear for a Helion Dominus 1:10 scale for a friend also. Not sure how common that one is, but it's out there.

Seconded on the praise they look great, also 42 views already??! nice work sir.

I cheated a little and used these:

http://www.freeprawnracing.co.uk/killer-rc-iris-led-lights.html

They just plug straight into the reciever, plug is already on the end so really simple!

IMAG2154.jpg

IMAG2156.jpg

IMAG2155.jpg

If you want to know anymore just ask :)

Cheers,

Steven

Hi all here is a quick video of me going over my setup on the ftx vantage pro roller. Hope you guys enjoy, feedback would be much appreciated :)

https://youtu.be/_mnTZgl5knE

Hi Devin,

That "cogging" usually happens when you are running a sensorless setup (sorry if you already knew this!),

when you said it makes no difference if you take the sensor cable out it tells me that either your esc sensor port, the cable or the motor sensor board is feked. (which probably is a quality control issue with leopard gear, I stay away from it now and just get proper branded esc's and motors)

My Brushless RTR did this after I changed to a leopard esc and motor and it was naff, I changed cars after this as it wasnt a club level racer sadly.

Also have you managed to break any of the rtr wheels yet? I think I've broken 2 or 3, so if you are racing on high grip astro might be worth investing in some of the solid disk wheels from hobbyking as they are dirt cheap.

Cheers

Tristan

Hi Devin,

That "cogging" usually happens when you are running a sensorless setup (sorry if you already knew this!),

when you said it makes no difference if you take the sensor cable out it tells me that either your esc sensor port, the cable or the motor sensor board is feked. (which probably is a quality control issue with leopard gear, I stay away from it now and just get proper branded esc's and motors)

My Brushless RTR did this after I changed to a leopard esc and motor and it was naff, I changed cars after this as it wasnt a club level racer sadly.

Also have you managed to break any of the rtr wheels yet? I think I've broken 2 or 3, so if you are racing on high grip astro might be worth investing in some of the solid disk wheels from hobbyking as they are dirt cheap.

Cheers

Tristan

Hi there my friend I am aware that the early run of these combos did have a issue with the motor and or esc being a issue however the sensor cable does make a difference but I found it was better without the cable attached. As for the wheels I havnt taken this car racing yet so I can't say that I have broke any wheels :)

Hi there my friend I am aware that the early run of these combos did have a issue with the motor and or esc being a issue however the sensor cable does make a difference but I found it was better without the cable attached. As for the wheels I havnt taken this car racing yet so I can't say that I have broke any wheels :)

If you dont mine me asking how was it better without the sensor cable? did it just judder less?

and let us know how you got on with racing it. I've pretty much changed mine into a drift pig because I run an xray xb4 :)

Well when running the sensor cable the acceleration wasn't as smooth but the cogging isn't due to gearing there is a fault with the esc and or motor and it happened at random when it won't move off but will sit there a judder.

As for racing I'm not a "racer" however I do go to the track from time to time

• Like 1

I have some revamped Vandal/Vantage gears done & up for sale on ebay fellas. Here's the link.

Thanks for all of your patience.

Travis

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131476549289?nav=SELLING_ACTIVE

Question: To replicate standard gearing using say a 15t pinion, what size pinion would I need with your spur?