• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Hi, yesterday I had decided to ditch my Tamco radier as parts were a PITA...SO decided to get a Qaunam Vandal kit (which I understand is a direct copy of the Vantage). Are these an actual true clone of them i.e. all parts are interchangable

Was wanting to transplant the 3065KV BL motor with 22t pinion/ESC combo, Rx, & 10kg steering servo etc from the Raider....All the speed calculators show it will not be as fast top end as the Raider is/was, but being massively lighter should get going pretty well....especially with my 3c in there.

Edited by jp79er

I bought a Vandal so I could fit the diffs in my Carnage, was a simple swap. So yes, they're fully interchangeable.

What's more, the Vandal is incredibly strong, I've given it a major bashing and all I did was bend a shock shaft. 

Edited by chewbacca

Hi, as the pinion on the vandal apparently has a 0.6 module, and you only get a 17t pinion gear with it....

I have just ordered the 23t pinion. Can anyone confirm that these fit a 5mm BL Shaft?

Also I snapped my hex in the grub screw which is a PITA so rendered it useless anyway even if the pitch was correct....doh.....

oh dear, just got the workshop at work to drill out the 17t pinion from 3.7mm to 5mm....and they have just drilled it wonky....they done it by hand rather than pillar drill....should have given it to the old boy, rather than dumb and dumber......

Hope the new pinion shows up soon.....:(

Hi all, had anyone got any suggestion on longer battery posts? Been running 2S but just got 5000mah 3S. Whilst it fits ok, the battery posts ar just a little too short to get the pins in.

You can try just adding a small plastic spacer or washer in between the post and chassis, then if you need a slightly longer screw aswell

Crikey! So blooming obvious now you've said it. Cannot believe I didn't think of that! You've just saved me a lot of head scratching. Busy week at the office and my head turns to mush. Cheers buddy!!

I have seen alot of comments about wheels for the vantage and vandal but not much speak about the carnage. I k ow it's a truggy and used for off road but are there any wheels/tyres for the carnage thst are recommended for road use? Will the road tyres be alright on grass still? And if I get new wheels and they are smaller will I have to change the pi ion or anything? Or will it be a case of switching wheels when go on different surfaces?

Cheers

Tom

Hi mate, I've got the Carnage (truggy version of the Vantage).

You don't need to do too much upgrading....well, not straight off.

I got the carbon shock towers, alloy bodied shocks and anti-roll bars and that's all you really need.

I also changed all the bolts to a stronger hex head type, as I found the kit fixings a little soft.

I modded the battery compartment to fit 3s lipo batteries, made a cover to protect the spur gear on the underside of the chassis and picked up various pinions to change the gearing options.

I would look into stocking up on some spares such as body posts (you will snap these at some point!) and a spare couple of spurs won't hurt as they are exposed to stones and dirt.

Is your Vantage brushed or brushless?

Cheers

Kingpin

Where did you get the roll cage from?

Hi all,

Having finally read through this thread I still have few questions that I hope one of you can answer. It's regarding the FTX Vantage diff and shimming etc.

1 where do the shims go to take out the slack

2 which shims do I need , how many, and where can I get them

3 finally, where can I get the 4 screws ( ftx6519 ) the ones that hold the diff drive spur gear and diff case together as they seem to round out very easily

Thanks in advance

Edited by chris58b

I read in this thread earlier that buying the spur year cover in carbon helps make the car more rigid so I have gone to order this part searched cml and these are what I have found

34y1qtg.png

I have also looked on ebay and can't find it either have they stopped this part?

It's there.....FTX6353 Carbon Top Plate.

There is no such part as a "carbon spur gear cover".

The top plate will still stiffen up the chassis.

The hop-up I mentioned are anti roll bars - not roll cage......

KingPin

Edited by KingPin

It's there.....FTX6353 Carbon Top Plate.

There is no such part as a "carbon spur gear cover".

The top plate will still stiffen up the chassis.

The hop-up I mentioned are roll bars - not roll cage......

KingPin

Oh I thought I saw photos of other members who had purchased the carbon upgrade using the original bit on the bottom of the car covering the spur and when you say roll bar do you mean sway bars or can you buy roll bars?

Sorry for the crossed lines there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question on the Vantage brushless motor...

On the specs on the ftx website, it says 3300kv motor, 60Amp speed controller, however looking in mine, It's a 2950kv motor and 45Amp speed controller.

I was just wondering if this makes a difference, and what everybody elses has in?

Cheers,

Steven

If you multiply the kv by the volts you'll get the rpm of the motor. Assuming you're running 2s packs the 3300kv can will give you 24,420 rpm and the 2950kv will give 21,830 rpm. I don't know how that relates to top speed but it's a fair difference.

Does anyone else have a 2wd issue with the Vantage?  This hex screw doesnt hold anymore, even though i tighten it as tight as i can before every run.  Any ideas to get it sorted?

gallery_26638_3019_610973.jpg

Threadlock.

• Like 1

Cheers Chewbacca,

I've emailed the shop I bought it from to see if theres a reason why... 

Seems odd when everywhere says its 3300kv and 60Amp and mine isn't...

I've just bought 2 from modelsport last week and they are also 2950 45amp

Regards,

Chris

Maybe yours is a slightly older model before they changed to waterproof electrics as your esc looks different to the esc on modelsport pics

As far as I can tell these are still waterproof 

Infact, just looked at mine and it looks physically the same esc as the one on the modelsport page

Edited by Steven.T