• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Got my Carnage running.

Bought from a member on here 2nd hand.

Sadly not quite as good a condition as I hoped, some mismatching screws, some rounded screws, knackered bearings and diffs assembled 180 degrees the wrong way.

This for now is a budget basher for me.

Running a new Street Fighter 11x3 brushed motor and "vintage" mTroniks 750HF ESC.

A6FBBAFD-B1BF-400C-8D7C-1E0B4A9CD6D1.jpg

I have also fitted the worlds slowest standard servo, namely a Fatuba S3001. However this is only temporary until I get a replacement.

http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s3001

I've added the optional motor heatsink as well as tearing down the drivetrain and rotating the diffs so it now goes forwards, rather than backwards. I've oiled up the bearings and what is left of the knackers ones on the diff out shafts (these will be replaced at the end of the month).

I'm also running a nice vintage Futaba 27Mhz Rx and Acoms Tx until I get another 2.4gHz Rx. As I said, it's a budget build....

I also got a set of lovely stainless screws through yesterday which I'll be fitting tonight to replace the rounded and mismatched ones.

3DAA7962-C285-4197-99FF-42CC6C4F3E4D.jpg

Other things I've done is sort the tracking out as all the turnbuckle links were all over the show. I've also found out the Carnage has the worst steering lock and turning circle of any RC vehicle I've ever encountered. And it's not the fault of the crappy servo.

Luckily there is a very useful post towards the beginning of this thread detailing what changes you need to make to improve the throw and steering lock. It is now 10x better, but far worse than my Losi XXT CR.

Looking forward to the weekend to try it out in anger. Running the stock spur and a 17T pinion for now.

Edited by 300bhp/ton

Was out today with my nephew and the Vantage. I also took along my restored Tamiya Madcap and also my Tamiya DF03MS.

Within 5 mins the Vantage had clipped a large twig/small branch from a tree and flipped smashing the rear wing and splitting a rear driveshaft in half. No broken plastics though, luckily. So needless to say the lexan (if it is even lexan) that they use is utter garbage and IMO not fit for purpose. As the whole point of lexan is that its light weight, strong and able to take a large pounding without breaking. Yet this seems to break into pieces like one of those cheap tubs that you get your chinese takeaway in :(

Needless to say I am eyeing up purchasing a AE Buggy Wing or a Tamiya TRF501 wing which will be far more robust and upto taking the odd roll here and there.

The Madcap performed faultlessly with its brand new Technigold motor and was alot of fun :)

The DF03MS on the other hand was just dire. Terrible handling, very twitchy and not alot of fun at all to drive. Needless to say it will be getting sold on and going towards some parts for my TRF502

James

:)

hello i am having some problems with my carnage 

a couple of days ago my friend drove my car into a wall pretty fast, i broke some bits and upgraded some stuff on of the things that broke was the chassis where the bumper connects well as luck would have it i had an alu one spare as i liked the look of it, well i swapped all the components over and now it works but there feels like a lot of resistance when bothe the wheels are spun in the same direction (both rear or front) it hardly coasts when not on power.

i know its a long shot nbut does anyone have any ideas?

yes i am a noob so even if its something obvious i prob effed it up

cheers for all the help 

hello i am having some problems with my carnage

a couple of days ago my friend drove my car into a wall pretty fast, i broke some bits and upgraded some stuff on of the things that broke was the chassis where the bumper connects well as luck would have it i had an alu one spare as i liked the look of it, well i swapped all the components over and now it works but there feels like a lot of resistance when bothe the wheels are spun in the same direction (both rear or front) it hardly coasts when not on power.

i know its a long shot nbut does anyone have any ideas?

yes i am a noob so even if its something obvious i prob effed it up

cheers for all the help

Are they original or aftermarket wheels?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

aftermarket but i was using them fine before i changed the chassis over (proline desperados on proline road rage rims) its only since then that i am feeling it 

Edit: ok i took another look at it and i think it may have just been the pinion gear pushed to tight against the spur but now i am paranoid that its not tight enough is there any way of knowing the correct mesh?

also many thanks for the help pedrolami

Edited by Undead_Ichi

I was going to say, remove the pinion gear from the motor and see if there is any major resistance when pushing the chassis forward. If not, its either the gear mesh is too tight or the brushless motor is a high cogging one.

To set the gearmesh just make sure that they are not hard tight together. The pinion should be able to ever so slightly move within the spur gear teeth (and I mean ever so slightly)try taking a piece of standard a4 paper and tearing a strip off,and slide that between the pinion and spur when you are tightening the motor screws. This should give just the right clearance, if it still too tight, try folding the piece of paper in 2 (double thickness) and try again.

Well my Losi 22 rear wing arrived (pre cut :)) and fits absolutely perfectly !! All I had to do was drill the 2 mounting holes and paint it red as to match my body. Looks great, feel really good quality and you can just tell it will survive a roll unlike the standard Vantage wing which seems to be made from glass almost. All I need is to add the decals to it and job done :)

gallery_16696_3369_333550.jpg

gallery_16696_3369_288706.jpg

gallery_16696_3369_318157.jpg

James

:)

• Like 1

managed to get my vantage out of 30 mins or so.  I jumped it from our back garden from a foot height and it went nose first into the tarmac and it took a chunk out of the road! on closer inspection I have bent one of the front drive shafts.  I I gave my son ago and he broke a bit off the front bumper.  Lol each time I take it out it gets bent.

Hi Gents and any Ladies,

I`m old skool my first and last (before my Brushless Carnage) was a Tamiya Grasshopper 380 motor. What I`m wondering if any of you could help is a recommendation for a stick controller instead of steerwheel ......not cheap but not too expensive either and would the receiver need to be changed and ESC or servo`s.

Sorry for the lame questions hope you all don't mind

Cheers Spoof.

Ps. I don't race just for bashing and fun !!!

Hi Gents and any Ladies,

I`m old skool my first and last (before my Brushless Carnage) was a Tamiya Grasshopper 380 motor. What I`m wondering if any of you could help is a recommendation for a stick controller instead of steerwheel ......not cheap but not too expensive either and would the receiver need to be changed and ESC or servo`s.

Sorry for the lame questions hope you all don't mind

Cheers Spoof.

Ps. I don't race just for bashing and fun !!!

You shouldn't need a new ESC and servo if your just changing the receiver as for recommendations on a controller what is your budget Modelsport have a wide range of stick controllers over a wide range of prices  

• Like 1