• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Nice one so the game is to balance accelarion top speed and heat in the motor

I know a 23t burns the **** out of the motor so should I work from 15t up an see where I get the best balance

Yep exactly that

Hey guys,

Got my ftx vantage yesterday (first car) and took it for a car park run tonight against my mates acme werewolf pro 1/8. Im very impressed so far. Supplied 2s seems quite good. It kept up with his werewolf on a 3s although he had a little more power on the straights.

My question is mainly has anyone else found these buggys really rear end happy? Compared to his you have to ease the power in a bit otherwise it spins and does anyone know if theres any way to make it more controllable? ie tyres or something?

Id like to run a 3s on there but thinking on dirt it might be too crazy and just spin in circles lol.

Appreciate any input

For me I am running a 7000KV speed passion Brushless system along with a 8.4V built battery Nimh pack and no happy rear end at all. Little bit of understeer in mines if I am honest which is fine for my liking. Although I am running Tamiya DF03 wheels and Tamiya K block tyres all round.

One note is that out of the box the Vantage is shockingly setup. I put mines on a setup board and the settings were all over the place. 1 rear wheel had 2 degree positive camber and the other had 3 degree negative camber. Same goes for the front. So a little time spent getting both sides of the suspension to match makes a big difference, same goes for the slipper clutch it was really poorly setup out of the box. But for the price I can't argue.

James

:) 

Ok, my boy has a Vantage FTX  and hes thinking of spending some money to make it brushless.

From my limited knowledge, hes going to new:

ESC

Motor

and 2.4Ghz radio (hes got the older style)

Now, does he have to buy all these and others (if I have missed any out) at same time?

Plus, is there a list or site anywhere than can tell me if I have to get a specific 2.4ghz receiver?

Thanks

the motor and esc has to be done at the same time, the radio gear can be done first or after.

you do need the radio set (controller and receiver) old one won't work with new 2.4ghz

you can get everything from modelsport or shop around at the likes of hobbyking to get it cheaper but at the risk of you may have to order from international and wait (only if the uk don't stock the bits you need)

I have a few questions guys. Been out 3 times with the vantage now in some extreme conditions dirt/damp/racing/crashing and its help up well however i have broken my wing.

Could you guys link what wings you would recommend as the stock ones are crap?

Also whats the best practice for setting up your wheel alignment and toe in toe out as they seem to be all over the place?

I am about to fit carbon shock towers as i see these are weak.

Im still wondering what battery to go for out of 3s or a better 2s... opinions lol?

+1 on the wing crap thin plastic I put it on its roof and snapped it in half.

so fair I've upgraded my brushed vantage to brushless with a

leopard 9t 4670kv motor with a 60amp esc and down sized the pinion to a 17tooth 

using a zippy 5200mham 30c 7.4 lipo  hard case roar approved  30.99 quid off ebay

this version is a perfect fit for the vantage battery tray perfect

but with some testing today I think it can now be increased to a 19tooth gear

that's after I replace the lower wish bone due to me driving it into a wooden post which believe it or not it won

really impressed with the car but the set up out of the box is terrible and will be spending a few hours lining things up properly

to be honest I got the buggy on a flat board then I just got a small spirit level and made sure everything is level and true an working from there

im going to test some different set ups 0ver the nest few weeks will keep this thread posted

if there's anyone who has a tip for setting the slipper clutch up give me a glue I really aint sure

I believe a 3s would probably kill the esc/motor over time? However I plan on upgrading these at some stage anyway. I agree the 2s is fast and probably is perfect but I tested a 3s and OMG lol.

My main concern at the moment is the wing , any opinions on an upgraded one?

Yes I have found the printed rear wings to be shockingly brittle. Although I have also found that the clear ones aren't as brittle imo. No idea if the printing process has hardened the lexan making it far easier to crack than what it is actually meant to. Although if you click onto ebay, there are generic Buggy wings un painted and clear that will easily fit some some extra trimming for the damper holes. :)

So I just buy a few clear bodies and a few clear wings and paint them up, for the price you can't argue much. Clear body =

Edited by insanejim69

FTX have a full range of upgrades that are all available on modelsport. However.... I got the front suspension arms in aluminium from FTX and one snapped after and impact with a tree stump so not the best quality aluminium but I reckon should be fine as hubs and knuckles.

Can any one give idea if vantage (brushed) would make a good car for my 6 year old. Also can you adjust throttle power on trx or is it a bit of card job ?

I know this is an old post, but the box for Carnage clearly states recommend age 14+ (pretty standard with many different hobby grade models).

Although I admit this vital info does appear to be missing from the FTX website.