• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

5 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

If anyone has a Vantage to hand could you please measure the wheels for me?  Both diameter and width

I’m trying to establish if they’re the same as Outlaw wheels only white 👍

No one?

1 minute ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

The £40 carnage arrived and looks like it's not had a hard life at all! Literally no scratches on the underneath, the seller said it had a blown motor but after taking off the gear cover yep you guessed correctly.... Stones were caught up in the spur gear!!! I had a pinion, greased the rear diff with some bike grease,put some tape on the gaps in the motor mount, put a 2950kv photon 2.1 system in and a 9kg servo in and happy days!!! Cheap RC car

IMG_20210610_101104.jpg

IMG_20210610_101510.jpg

WIN! 👍

2 hours ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

The £40 carnage arrived and looks like it's not had a hard life at all! Literally no scratches on the underneath, the seller said it had a blown motor but after taking off the gear cover yep you guessed correctly.... Stones were caught up in the spur gear!!! I had a pinion, greased the rear diff with some bike grease,put some tape on the gaps in the motor mount, put a 2950kv photon 2.1 system in and a 9kg servo in and happy days!!! Cheap RC car

IMG_20210610_101104.jpg

IMG_20210610_101510.jpg

Did they not check   OMG     but a what a winner 

• Like 2

On 04/06/2021 at 00:29, Scottyb said:

From my experience of about 3 months of owning one.

The standard bumper likes to either shatter or rip out and wreck where it screws to the chassis. Get a Zorro/Torro one it makes the world of difference.

The front hubs like to explode for no apparent reason.

Make sure the slipper clutch is done up tight, like all the way in then maybe a quarter turn out or the pads won't last very long.

The plastic shock towers are about as strong as a vegetarian.

If you happen to upgrade to a 15kg+ servo, the chassis will flex like mad when steering.

Definitely take the diffs apart, clean em and pack them with grease. I used CV grease in mine and they were silky smooth.

First recommended mods would be alu chassis and shock towers and carbon top deck, it will save you a few diffs.

Get a battery discharger.

Don't hit anything harder than butter and try and keep it less than 2ft if jumping or it will end badly.

Apart from that it was a good bit of fun.

Mine was about 90% aluminium when I sold it and it was honestly a tank after I'd finished with it. The only thing I kept breaking were the front hubs but they were the only plastic part left.

The Hyper is absolutely fantastic value for money. I got one in the post today and I'm in love.

Where do you fit the zorro bumper to on the front suspension frame.  The original bumper has a centre bracket?  TIA.

3 minutes ago, pgainey said:

Where do you fit the zorro bumper to on the front suspension frame.  The original bumper has a centre bracket?  TIA.

The 15mm(?) screws that hold the top suspension arms come out and the 20mm screws go all the way through, resecuring the suspension arms and screwing all the way through into the braces at the top of the Zorro bumper - you’ll need to hold the bumper braces with pliers so they don’t rotate whilst you drive the screws through, you may also find it easier to take the whole front end assembly off the chassis to do it. 

2A31E41B-AF49-4A3F-B946-6BD70ABDBA24.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

Gotta love when that happens! @Iain .RI now understand what you mean about cogging, I have the brushless version and there's like half a second delay between the trigger and it moving and low speed articulation...not even worth trying. 

With that said, I really like it, great fun on 2S not even going to bother trying to upgrade it etc. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

The 15mm(?) screws that hold the top suspension arms come out and the 20mm screws go all the way through, resecuring the suspension arms and screwing all the way through into the braces at the top of the Zorro bumper - you’ll need to hold the bumper braces with pliers so they don’t rotate whilst you drive the screws through, you may also find it easier to take the whole front end assembly off the chassis to do it. 

2A31E41B-AF49-4A3F-B946-6BD70ABDBA24.jpeg

Thanks for confirmation.  I thought it might be the top suspension arm fixings as they lined up perfectly!

I'm swapping chassis at the same time as plastic one broken at front where bumper attaches. 

finger crossed i do a good repair.  My boy is waiting very patiently......!

• Like 2

Gave the carnage a quick rip around the garden and they handle suprisinly well! The 9kg etronix servo suits it well as it felt too slow in the buggy it was in, the carnage does have a tendancy to nose dive and lift the rear under braking tho i shall dig out my esc card and wack the braking down a bit

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well to the local park and it was surprisingly quite so I thought ok let go nuts with my carnage and 4 full charge batterys  and off I went and bang in to a post  (dont pull trigger back all way and then look the opposite way ) and bang   snapped the chassis .in the exact same spot it snapped on the last one few months ago when my daughter did cartwheels with it . .

Less than 20 secs run  it taken me longer to put the battery in the car and remote  than I had run time . 

So just fitted a brand new chassis as I bought one just after the last breakage but got a replacement before it arrived . 

So cant be bothered now to go back out after that bash .I'll go out monday  

Cant believe I did that  off you go   oooh look over there   BANG.   What a tit .. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Hi all   what your opinions on taken  ftx carnage and ftx outlaw to a sandy beach  . (Will they enjoy it if I dont get them icecream  lol ) 

No seriously  I'm worried about the sand getting in to diffs and that  as I dont want.to take them to the beach and distroy all  the diffs . Mind you I have 5 cars . So that's 5 sets off diffs  there like  £8 to £18 a go .  

Even if I go on the wet / hard sand   not  the soft stuff .. will it make much diff   rance  lol . 

As the mrs and kids all want day out to the beach and said they to take there cars .  

I have 2 carnages 2 outlaws  an 1 outcar /carout   (half carnage half outlaw ) ... 

13 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Hi all   what your opinions on taken  ftx carnage and ftx outlaw to a sandy beach  . (Will they enjoy it if I dont get them icecream  lol ) 

No seriously  I'm worried about the sand getting in to diffs and that  as I dont want.to take them to the beach and distroy all  the diffs . Mind you I have 5 cars . So that's 5 sets off diffs  there like  £8 to £18 a go .  

Even if I go on the wet / hard sand   not  the soft stuff .. will it make much diff   rance  lol . 

As the mrs and kids all want day out to the beach and said they to take there cars .  

I have 2 carnages 2 outlaws  an 1 outcar /carout   (half carnage half outlaw ) ... 

The wet sand will have salt in it which you need to clean off after running. the drier sand will be ok. I tend to rebuild my stuff with rubber shielded bearings to help keep anything out. 

I bash on beaches often, the biggest pita is the amount of sand that gets taken home! It makes maintanance a chore too. 

Other than that, it's all good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Despite my efforts with blue threadlock the centre drive shaft grub screw has come loose again...Time to bring out the red! Tbh it was after many runs at full throttle and then using the brakes to power slide the car back round so guessing I might be pushing it a bit too hard...That or I didn't lock it well in the first place. 

Has anyone else had this issue? Mine is the brush less model. 

11 hours ago, chewbacca said:

The wet sand will have salt in it which you need to clean off after running. the drier sand will be ok. I tend to rebuild my stuff with rubber shielded bearings to help keep anything out. 

I bash on beaches often, the biggest pita is the amount of sand that gets taken home! It makes maintanance a chore too. 

Other than that, it's all good. 

Thank you I dont mind the cleaning part . I just dont fancy stripping every car down and replacing all the diffs that . 

Cheers 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

Anyone using a washer on the steering bit where the E clip usually is instead?

I used to .it was to reinforce the flat plastic bit top but it still worn away .and E clip would fall off . Buy the alloy one its 100% better . .