• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper ST Owners Thread

2 hours ago, locky said:

Will the TC Models, http://www.tcmodels.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=61&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71&vmcchk=1&Itemid=71 ,motor mount work with a 52T spur and allow use of range pinions?

Prolly ...

1. You dont need their kit and that metal plate is required to mount the battery tray - whereas a Losi 8 tray is a direct bolt on fit essentially and you lose the PLATE and its weight.

2. The hobao designed motor mount [ for the Hyper SSE ] - imho is a far superior design and allows for a larger array of pinion options.

I messed around for a bit with alternatives as well and finally settled on the real deal - use the hyper st pro mount.  They are different - it and the 8's servo mount.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/Servo-Mount-Hyper-8_p_6248.html

http://www.nitrohouse.com/Hyper-Sprint-Parts_c_644-2-8.html

Couldnt you trace your Hyper ST pro servo tray plate onto a sheet of plastic or a piece of carbon fiber and fashion your own out of it.  A dremel and a drill.  Or buy a spare plate and chop it.

My Hyper ST Roller turned up today.

I need to check and re-oil the differentials, what do you guys suggest? It was running 50k front, 20k centre (spider) and 10k rear.

It had 45wt oil in the shocks, they still feel very plush just now so I will just check levels and top up if needed.

Combo wise im thinking Hobbywing Quicrun WP-8BL150 and Quicrun 2000kv 4074?

20151203_1938272_zpspbwgtwat.jpg
20151203_1935492_zpsuyjun2cg.jpg
20151203_1935412_zpsbmf10sac.jpg
20151203_1934102_zpsneb6mdcc.jpg
20151203_1936012_zpsn0fxgolt.jpg

combo will b sweet....I ran 50wt in my st...still bottomed out  but they all do....never tried any higher then 50wt in of our rc`s...try 60-70wt maybe??........I run 60-100-30k f/cen/rear..in all my mt4g3`s....and st4g3.......they all handle sweet imo.....and get sum t bones

Edited by evssv

• 2 weeks later...

Received my brushless combo on Saturday.

Fitted it all, went relatively easily despite the first time working on the Hyper ST.

I removed the Hyper 8 motor mount from the chassis and centre diff brace and meshed the gears like this and then checked the mesh again once the brace was on. Seems ok, maybe be a tad tighter but Mod 1 gear is quite different to 48 pitch which I'm use too.

Had a test session on a 5000 mah 35c 4S Turnigy pack earlier today. Temps were hovering around -1 to 0c but I couldn't hold back anymore, I wanted to play!

First impressions are good, might need to tweak a few things though.

1. It seems I need a stronger steering servo, the stock Haboa one is ok, but with wheels on ground the wheels hardly turn!

2. Could do with a bit more front grip or less rear grip.

3. The biggest issue to me, jumping. It nose dives something rotten. I have to keep a fair bit of throttle on to keep it level but any hint of brakes sends forward big style. Not sure if it's weight distribution problem, suspension or I need to adjust my driving style. Drag brake is off.

5. I'm keen on fitting the steering servo laid down like it is stock and fitting the HPI waterproof receiver box but I think I'm missing some stock hardware mounting bits?e2a8b960e3ba598e23f65185ac86c325.jpg9160870b174532b68a8cb21871f6f4f4.jpgb68f74b416765900b103297a77bf3f02.jpgef2a16f7c0f624ea9f2ed7160d007c63.jpg

looks sweet....servo...  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111826623594?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I ran 50wt oil and it still bottomed out..:yes:...so 60-70 maybe..:huh:..throttle on nose up....never hit the brakes in the air unless ur going silly speed and wanna fr flip...:thumbsup:...lol!!...what diff oil u running??I run 60-100-30k fr/cen/rear....

Edited by evssv

50k front, 20k centre and 10k rear, same as what the guy ran when he had it.

I understand air control but if I don't keep say quarter throttle on, it will nose down quite a bit. Maybe I'm use to 2wd been fairly neutral where it will be neutral in the air with no throttle. I guess 4wd has more rotational mass in the front wheels as they are driven. I'm sure it's probably me that needs to adjust.

Aye, it bottoms on quite easily. I've added a bit of spring pre load to try and help.

Very nice ride bro.  Looks like a gem to me.  Surprised youre having nose diving issues - sure none of the universal driveshafts are not bent - there is no drag on the front wheels or diffs?  The truggie was known to fly pretty good as a nitro .... I havent run my rig as an electric conversion truggy yet.  Perhaps slap a few lead racing weights on the ass end of the chassis under the center driveline close to the rear diff?  Remove weight from the front end somehow?

How are the tires?  Do they have dirt in them in the fronts? trying to sort out things that would be causing the weight imbalance.  Increase the angle of the wing some for a bit more drag?

Make sure your radio has epas set right too and not causing some accidental braking ?  [ grasping at straws now ]

Good luck man - nice truck!

17 hours ago, Derka said:

Received my brushless combo on Saturday.

Fitted it all, went relatively easily despite the first time working on the Hyper ST.

I removed the Hyper 8 motor mount from the chassis and centre diff brace and meshed the gears like this and then checked the mesh again once the brace was on. Seems ok, maybe be a tad tighter but Mod 1 gear is quite different to 48 pitch which I'm use too.

Had a test session on a 5000 mah 35c 4S Turnigy pack earlier today. Temps were hovering around -1 to 0c but I couldn't hold back anymore, I wanted to play!

First impressions are good, might need to tweak a few things though.

1. It seems I need a stronger steering servo, the stock Haboa one is ok, but with wheels on ground the wheels hardly turn!

2. Could do with a bit more front grip or less rear grip.

3. The biggest issue to me, jumping. It nose dives something rotten. I have to keep a fair bit of throttle on to keep it level but any hint of brakes sends forward big style. Not sure if it's weight distribution problem, suspension or I need to adjust my driving style. Drag brake is off.

5. I'm keen on fitting the steering servo laid down like it is stock and fitting the HPI waterproof receiver box but I think I'm missing some stock hardware mounting bits?

Looks great. :)

Page 18, section 50 will show you what you need to get, radio tray and the servo mounting brackets, plus some screws of course.

http://www.ofna.com/pdf/Hyper-St-PRO_FULL-MANUAL.pdf

The diff oils, I read a few people used those weights when searching, so went with it. I was happy, but depends where and how you drive it I guess, there's like a million different combos you can have.

I had no problem jumping it, but maybe I was more used to it, having had 1/8 buggies.

4 hours ago, bugster said:

Looks great. :)

Page 18, section 50 will show you what you need to get, radio tray and the servo mounting brackets, plus some screws of course.

http://www.ofna.com/pdf/Hyper-St-PRO_FULL-MANUAL.pdf

The diff oils, I read a few people used those weights when searching, so went with it. I was happy, but depends where and how you drive it I guess, there's like a million different combos you can have.

I had no problem jumping it, but maybe I was more used to it, having had 1/8 buggies.

Thanks buddy,

I do love the Hyper ST. I love it so much I'm refusing to take it out in our current weather which is -4 to 1c and a few inches of snow!

I shall check out the bits needed, its only because I fancy having a waterproof receiver box... I could always just stick it in a balloon.

I have no issues with the diff fluids currently, I'll just change the fluid in them in due course.

Jumping, I'm sure ill get the hang of it, probably just different to what I'm use to which is 1/10 2wd Short course mainly.

This is definitely the best RC Ive had to date that's for sure.

What wheels/tyre combos are good for on-road and grass/off-road?

On 14/12/2015, 19:28:58, Derka said:

Thanks buddy,

I do love the Hyper ST. I love it so much I'm refusing to take it out in our current weather which is -4 to 1c and a few inches of snow!

I shall check out the bits needed, its only because I fancy having a waterproof receiver box... I could always just stick it in a balloon.

I have no issues with the diff fluids currently, I'll just change the fluid in them in due course.

Jumping, I'm sure ill get the hang of it, probably just different to what I'm use to which is 1/10 2wd Short course mainly.

This is definitely the best RC Ive had to date that's for sure.

What wheels/tyre combos are good for on-road and grass/off-road?

Lol, yer don't get much snow down here so never concerned about waterproofing it, but with snow probably a good idea, and be plenty of fun too!

Done the balloon trick myself a bunch of times with exposed 4xaa battery packs, would work, but bit of a hack would be better if done right.

Yer just need to alter the way you jump it, your probably letting off at the end of the ramp and then having to mash on the throttle to bring the noise up again? Try keeping the throttle on as you come of the ramp and then adjust as needed in air.

I think I could just get the servo mount brackets and then screw the waterproof receiver on top of that. I things that's what others done. As far as I can I don't actually need the radio tray?

Yeh, I'm letting off the throttle as soon as it's airborne. I'll adjust my technique but not for a while with the weather up here.

I'll probably just stick the receiver in 2 baloons as it looks smart the way it is.

What's the thoughts about the drop screws? They are set for max droop but stop just before the shocks fully extend

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2015 at 5:28 PM, sputnik said:

Prolly ...

1. You dont need their kit and that metal plate is required to mount the battery tray - whereas a Losi 8 tray is a direct bolt on fit essentially and you lose the PLATE and its weight.

2. The hobao designed motor mount [ for the Hyper SSE ] - imho is a far superior design and allows for a larger array of pinion options.

so the hyper sse motor mount is a straight fit on thge st? presumably the hyper 8.5 aswell then?

19 minutes ago, eatthis said:

are the driveshafts soft on these? i bent a rear cvd shaft and despite straightening it out (cant get it spot on straight but its not bad) it keeps bending again and popping out if i look at it funny 

once they bend there no good tbh....I`d look for sum cvd`s....:thumbsup: