• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help me spend

Jacksprogis

Use the search feature, you'll find quicker answers vs waiting for people to come along- 'what am bestest...?' questions get asked so often that very people bother to answerr them these days.

On my mac running on google chrome it causes the message ''oh snap'' to come up therefore causing all my msuk pages to crash , thats why i cant use the search :/

a tt flux and a summit are completely different but if it was my money i'd go for the trophy truggy flux. not a very expensive car compared to the summit and you can get lots of batteries, so you can run it for ages. also when it does break you can afford spares and upgrades

• Like 1

a tt flux and a summit are completely different but if it was my money i'd go for the trophy truggy flux. not a very expensive car compared to the summit and you can get lots of batteries, so you can run it for ages. also when it does break you can afford spares and upgrades

Any idea what the speed is like compared to my 2011 firestorm flux ? , im liking the slash 4x4 ultimate but

Edited by jacksprogis

Thanks man , only downside is the cost of spares , thats why im leaning more to the slash ultimate . I know hpi is quality from my firestorm but will the drivetrain be strong enough ,Is there no problems with stripping diffs ? thanks for all your help yet again :)

Edited by jacksprogis

no problems with the diffs with the stock motor. some people who have put castle systems have gone though a few diffs but it's fine on the standard set up. the first page on the tt owners clubs has a list of parts that might need upgrading but its a strong truggy.

• Like 1

I have an ultimate and whilst I love it, I'm not convinced that all the upgrades are necessary for general bashing; the sway bars obviously limit roll, but firm up the front end too when landing jumps (I did bend one slightly lol). The alu caster blocks are nice, however (much needed) RPM upgrade arms do not fit into these cleanly, as I discovered to my cost after trashing 2 front bearings, and they can bend (tbf, it was a massive full speed impact). I'm currently running standard steering blocks as there are no alu replacements about (and at about 35 quid a pair, I may just leave them off!) The soft compound tyres totally suck on damp/wet grass too. And it does roll easily with over exuberant cornering....but that's just a slash thing I think.

BUT the cost of the car with upgrades is much less then buying a standard 4x4 and then buying and fitting them. The upgraded shocks are well worth having and the included centre diff is nice to have too (tho whether or not I'll use it remains to be seen). Blue alu wheel nuts I could live without, but they won't rust

I truly love my slash for what it will do, and that's provide smile after smile. She climbs hills as easily as my Monster Trucks, has a wicked turn of speed and (electrical maladies aside) been tough. I also find that spares prices are reasonable, although availability can sometimes be an issue, depending on what you need (for eg, at the time of typing, no heavy duty rear driveshafts about anywhere) They're easy to service too - the Traxxas modular design of front end/chassis/rear end is a joy to work with

Recommended upgrades - (front and Rear) RPM arms and Steering blocks (if you get the non ultimate), rear arms only on the ultimate

Pro-line undertray - takes a bit of fettlin' to get it to fit, however it protects the underside very well and keeps the innards pretty clean (this is very important to me lol)

Fasttrax Bullseye SC Tyres - they're cheap but I really like 'em for the grass, really grip well - I was popping wheelies in the park this avo...

RPM shock guards - for a tenner, I reckon they're worth it

I am running 3s 5000Mah 25c Lipos in the beast, which does generate a fair amount of heat in the motor and esc. I believe some folk on here suggest using the additionally purchased fan if running 3s, I haven't felt the need yet, as I'm fortunate enough to be able to rest the Slash and run a different vehicle whilst she cools down

Tis a very personal thing, this r/c buying business, just as choosing your 1:1 car is and I'm sure you'll get hours of fun from whatever you decide..... :thumbsup: HTH

• Like 1

my rule for the big brand makes is the simpler the better they hold up. Take the Firestorm, 2wd Slash and Desert Truck from HPI Traxxas and Losi. I kill the crap out of thee all the time and hardly ever suffer problems, whilst brushless savages T-maxx's etc go wrong a lot more often and cost a good deal more to repair. to what you buy depends in my view what you want to use the car for

I have an ultimate and whilst I love it, I'm not convinced that all the upgrades are necessary for general bashing; the sway bars obviously limit roll, but firm up the front end too when landing jumps (I did bend one slightly lol). The alu caster blocks are nice, however (much needed) RPM upgrade arms do not fit into these cleanly, as I discovered to my cost after trashing 2 front bearings, and they can bend (tbf, it was a massive full speed impact). I'm currently running standard steering blocks as there are no alu replacements about (and at about 35 quid a pair, I may just leave them off!) The soft compound tyres totally suck on damp/wet grass too. And it does roll easily with over exuberant cornering....but that's just a slash thing I think.

BUT the cost of the car with upgrades is much less then buying a standard 4x4 and then buying and fitting them. The upgraded shocks are well worth having and the included centre diff is nice to have too (tho whether or not I'll use it remains to be seen). Blue alu wheel nuts I could live without, but they won't rust

I truly love my slash for what it will do, and that's provide smile after smile. She climbs hills as easily as my Monster Trucks, has a wicked turn of speed and (electrical maladies aside) been tough. I also find that spares prices are reasonable, although availability can sometimes be an issue, depending on what you need (for eg, at the time of typing, no heavy duty rear driveshafts about anywhere) They're easy to service too - the Traxxas modular design of front end/chassis/rear end is a joy to work with

Tis a very personal thing, this r/c buying business, just as choosing your 1:1 car is and I'm sure you'll get hours of fun from whatever you decide..... :thumbsup: HTH

First of all thanks for the huge reply , The only 1 thing thats bugging me with the slash is the connecter , my firestorm is ''deans plugs'' and traxxas have their own and apparently if you change any of the to you can void the esc warranty :/ The slash is the more economic of the 2 with spares prices right down :) Thanks again man :D

my rule for the big brand makes is the simpler the better they hold up. Take the Firestorm, 2wd Slash and Desert Truck from HPI Traxxas and Losi. I kill the crap out of thee all the time and hardly ever suffer problems, whilst brushless savages T-maxx's etc go wrong a lot more often and cost a good deal more to repair. to what you buy depends in my view what you want to use the car for

I just want something solid , i dont care if its a MT or a Truggy or a Buggy :D the hpi trophy truggy/buggy look good .

Savage XS. eBay the ESC (you'll get about

remember with brushless comes great power

Great power = Lots of schreaded rubber, more energy in an impact and of course Extreme strain

So Be gentle to start with

Ziggy

• Like 1

Great power = Lots of schreaded rubber, more energy in an impact and of course Extreme strain

Ziggy

How I wish I'd had this very useful insider knowledge a few weeks back, could have saved expense and strip down time immensely :xd: :xd:

Brushless is the dogs tho IMHO :thumbsup:

• Like 1

yeah man i understand with the firestorm flux :) my poor tyres

Ziggy

Still cant decide between the trophy truggy or a slash :/

If you want a tough basher then get the slash....you won't regret it.

IMHO truggies are not as much fun to drive and break too easily.

Just be prepared to go through a zillion body shells. They last 5 mins on SC trucks.

Btw - not sure if someone else has already mentioned this.... But if you don't like traxxas connectors (which are fine btw!) just buy a convertor or even better make your own.

If you are serious about the hobby you are going to need a soldering iron soon anyway! Buy turnigy batteries too off hobbyking or eBay if you need em faster. Much cheaper that way.

Edited by gavinc
  • Like 2