• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

how do these compare to a hpi baja 5b ?

Rc-addict

im stuck between getting a hpi baja 5b or one of these clones please help me decide ?

Option 1) http://www.rcmodelz....-Baja-Buggy.php

Option 2) http://www.engagerc....r%2C-Gas/Detail

option 3) http://www.engagerc....%2C-Baja/Detail

Option 4) http://www.engagerc.com/servlet/the-2343/1-fdsh-5-KingMotor%2C-2011-/Detail

which option do you think is the best and how would that comapare to the real hpi baja 5b

Thanks

Edited by Rc-addict

Engage RC have had loads of bad reviews on largescaleforum going back a number of years. A couple of bad deals fair enough, you cant please everybody all of the time, but based on what I have read I would steer well clear personally.

Id just like to point out that they're cheap for a reason..... You will have to spend alot on upgrades.

No more than you do on a HPI.

Just by the time you spend the cash on these it will still cost you less than a HPI

• Like 1

It's amazing how many people tell you you have to throw a fortune at largescale cars to make them reliable.... you don;t.

KM clones are no weaker than HPI on most respects. QC may not be quite as good, and some of the alloy parts they stick on are not the best made...but in most respects they will run perfectly well and reliably out of the box.

Where the money gets spent is in making them capable of withstanding jumps and high speed accidents without damage. It's optional to drive them in that manner...so optional to make that kind of financial outlay. I've run my Baja for a year with minimal outlay on spare parts. Ok..minimal is a relative term compared to a 1/8 nitro .... but that's life!

I broke the rear shock towers, front shock towers, 1 exhaust, 1 steering arm, 1 suspension front lower arm and a servo saver.

Mind you...the truck was not new when I got it and these were all original HPI parts that had probably been on there since it was made. About

• Like 1

Agree'd mate i must have spent on my mini 8ight in the week iv had it what i spent on the baja in the month or 2 iv had it these largescale are big and tough :yes:

It's amazing how many people tell you you have to throw a fortune at largescale cars to make them reliable.... you don;t.

KM clones are no weaker than HPI on most respects. QC may not be quite as good, and some of the alloy parts they stick on are not the best made...but in most respects they will run perfectly well and reliably out of the box.

Where the money gets spent is in making them capable of withstanding jumps and high speed accidents without damage. It's optional to drive them in that manner...so optional to make that kind of financial outlay. I've run my Baja for a year with minimal outlay on spare parts. Ok..minimal is a relative term compared to a 1/8 nitro .... but that's life!

I broke the rear shock towers, front shock towers, 1 exhaust, 1 steering arm, 1 suspension front lower arm and a servo saver.

Mind you...the truck was not new when I got it and these were all original HPI parts that had probably been on there since it was made. About

prepare for standard baja statement:

if you cant afford the proper hpi one, you cant afford a clone. in the long run they'll end up costing the same. you'll either need or want expensive upgrades. its like ye olde posh shop saying 'if you have to ask the price, you cant afford it'

prepare for standard baja statement:

if you cant afford the proper hpi one, you cant afford a clone.

Sorry mate but you are 100% wrong :yes:

I couldnt afford to pay

I bought a 'real' HPI one...but I bought mine secnd hand and refurbed it.

There are many routes into Baja ownership....but as long as you buy with your eyes open and choose carefully, it does not have to be that hard to support. The more you jump, the more you will crash. the more you crash the more you will spend....and so it goes.

But you can drive a car to suit your pocket. If you ar eskint...stay away from the big jumps!

Baja's can be money pits.....it all comes down to self control. Most of the money I spent on mine was purely because I wanted to not becuase I needed to. The stroner I make it, the more confident I am in abusing it...which has lead to a string of recent parts failures.... but you rebuild what broke with better parts and go back for more.

Running costs for any 1/5 are purely down to the driver.

Unless you buy a ShenQi Hummer....coz they are made of cheese.