• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anybody running a Vader XB

Spriggan

Yep. Those guys in the U S of A are purty crazy on 'count of all that moonshine they be drinkin'

Obeasts 1717 setup on an MMM

thread

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?p=51429

I can't now remember why they all ended up with 56xx 8S setups. May have been the ESCs kept blowing, rather than a problem with the 1717.

Maverick RCs are stocked by HPI UK (based in Swadlincote) even though they are nothing to do with HPI. They don't sell the Vader any more, but parts are still available.

In the US and other places it's known as a Redcat Rampage XBe and you can get parts.

Touch wood - nothings broken on mine yet.

Dropped the 1717 - 1650kv XO-1 motor in it today, quite chuffed I did not get nabbed for duty.. Sounds like a bloody spaceship!!!

I have turned the punch right down, I am not racing so don't think I really 'need' warp factor acceleration but that is subject to change when I get out to test drive it..

The motor timing was set to 15 deg, that must be the default because I have never touched it, but am I right in thinking that turning down to 0 deg will sacrifice a little speed but decrease current draw and temperatures?

Next change I think will have to be the 17/23mm hex converters so I can stick some other boots on it, two of the stock tyres are nearly treadless already but then running on the tarmac does not help :D

Next change I think will have to be the 17/23mm hex converters so I can stick some other boots on it, two of the stock tyres are nearly treadless already but then running on the tarmac does not help :D

Interesting! What did you have in mind for converters and new boots? Last time I looked it was all very expensive...

Edited by ninjagaiden

Interesting! What did you have in mind for converters and new boots? Last time I looked it was all very expensive...

Pointed in the direction of these earlier in the thread, seems a good move with both you have a real wide choice of boots..

http://www.kershawdesigns.com/Redcat-Hubs.htm

Been out to do a quick test of the new 1717 - 1650kv motor - stock ESC - Stock gearing.

It is absolutely mental, totally and utterly mental! I have punch down to min I think, timing at 0 degrees and its still a mile better than stock 980kv motor.

I did not put the fans on the motor to see how it goes and the ambient temp was quite high for here and just under 20C at ground level.

On grass with 2 x 6s 4500ma/h Nanotech batteries in parallel, the grass was not fresh cut but only maybe a week growth and the max temperatures I recorded after 10 mins or so were 41C on the ESC, 61C motor, 38C batteries. That is a lot of weight in batteries I might add, at 1.354kg total, also that was with the shell off for easy reading temperatures.

Same as above with 2 x zippy 3s 4000ma/h in series, total battery weight 690g, the temps were 36C ESC, 56C motor, 29C batteries. Clearly weight makes a fair difference.

On the way back home I ran it through the streets, with the shell on, again with the zippy batteries. I started back with temps already up so took it steady for a few minutes before killing even more of the rapidly diminishing tread - When I got back home which was about 7 or 8 mins the temps were 29 ESC, 51 motor, 36 batteries.

One thing I did notice though, the drive gear cover was quite warm, and feeling the drive cups on the centre  were very warm to the touch.. Would this be due to heat transfer from the motor or a mesh problem? I did try to use the paper strip method to set the mesh but it was somewhat tricky to get it right so I just backed it off a touch by eye so there was a tiny bit of slack in the system.

no, don't have GPS, but it is WAY faster than stock..

If stock is 33mph then technically 1650kv should be 52mph - Not sure that is the case, then I am not convinced that I was getting 33mph stock.

I will take it back out and get a reading with gps app on ma phone though, no idea how accurate it is but others seem to rate it..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codesector.speedview.free

Speedview, if anyone has any experience of it?

The front & back diff cups are cool as cucumber, only the centre cups are warm but its not a centre diff..

Just tried gps speed test, I gave up before I completely smashed up my phone as it came off 3 times the last one ended up under back wheel and really got thrown about! Took me 10  minutes to find the little battery cover type thing grrrr

I am not sure I had the gps thing running properly 2nd two runs as the display showed same as first run with a max of 40mph - my gut feeling is that is possibly a bit light, but then its hard to say because this thing is pretty big and so maybe looks faster than it is. I don't think 40 is a million miles out, and I really doubt I was getting 33 stock - I would say stock maybe about 25mph not much more going on car chases down the road :D

There was a load of people came over to watch and they were all clearly amazed by how fast it was.

Whatever speed it is it looks fast and it needs some way better rubber to drive it, admittedly two tyres are now well worn but when you hit full throttle its sliding about like its on ice - if you do a doughnut, well more a pirouette than a doughnut, it ends up on two wheels spinning! 

Whatever it is doing it is a completely different beast to the stock motor that's for sure.

I think some new wheels and tyres and needed now, something a bit more chunky monkey me thinks :D

Glad you are having fun with it! Just watch the HW ESC as I believe that becomes the weakest link on a 1717 setup.

Yes that was the big worry, but with the settings I have it on the ESC temp was actually lower than with the stock motor by about 4 degrees - I am quite surprised by that because ambient temp was a fair bit higher today and clearly the performance of the buggy was way higher.

Having said that, I think it would be pretty easy to release smoke upping the punch and timing!

Hi guys, I'm new here with a Vader which I've got second hand with a Castle 1650kv and Toro 200amp ESC. My question is run time. I would like to race and bash as I have a track near me. Can anyone guide me with regards to Lipos? I think I need 2 x 3s around 5000mah? any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

Runs forever with 2 x 6s 4500ma parallel but its a lot of weight to drag about and warms up the 1717 :D

With 2 x 3s 4000ma/h softpacks I got about 15 minutes roughly bashing around the football pitch, under race conditions I think it would be a fair bit less than that - probably half. I think it likely next battery purchase will be lots of 3s 4500 or 5000's but size will be the decider so they can be used in other trucks and maybe the hexacopter.