• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anybody running a Vader XB

Spriggan

the front arms and chassis area needed very little cleaning just a few leaves, the rear arms were right mess though and clogged with mud, the same with the inside of the rear wheels. I've just ordered some rear mud guards for it.

Out of interest where did you order the mud guards from? Ive been looking but keep end up trying different materials to make my own out of

• 3 months later...

so..

I have acquired a MMM 1515 2200kv motor which needs to be fitted into something and I figure the vader 'look a lot like ' is as good a place to fit it as any.

Obviously over twice the KV of the stock motor is a bit more rpm, so what would be the effect of running it 4s - 1515 instead of 6s - stock cheapo china?

I am not looking to get warp factor 5 or anything like, but will it be a little faster, maybe cooler running, and would it need gear changes?

so..

I have acquired a MMM 1515 2200kv motor which needs to be fitted into something and I figure the vader 'look a lot like ' is as good a place to fit it as any.

Obviously over twice the KV of the stock motor is a bit more rpm, so what would be the effect of running it 4s - 1515 instead of 6s - stock cheapo china?

I am not looking to get warp factor 5 or anything like, but will it be a little faster, maybe cooler running, and would it need gear changes?

Err, huge gear changes. I fear the 1515 will be a little overwhelmed by the weight of the Vader.

Sorry to bring bad news.

Check out the redcat rampage forums couple of people on there run 2200 with mixed results. Heat issues and frying stock esc as well as 150a spikes have been reported.

Edited by stretch

Yeah most have had issues and switched to lower kv, 2200 is too much for the vaders weight.

How're you getting on with yours? Always liked the Vader.

Over the weekend I'd lost a link pin in the front CVD for my 410 and my son pranged the front links on my R1.It was such a lovely day yesterday that I took my Vader out to the park instead.

Mine runs at 8S with an XL2 and a TP power 5692 1100kv. It was fantastic over the hills and on the freshly cut grass. Smiles all round and I never broke anything! Having run my Savage XL though I did think that it could probably take some bigger wheels.

For me the Vader is a bit of a hidden gem!

Over the weekend I'd lost a link pin in the front CVD for my 410 and my son pranged the front links on my R1.It was such a lovely day yesterday that I took my Vader out to the park instead.

Mine runs at 8S with an XL2 and a TP power 5692 1100kv. It was fantastic over the hills and on the freshly cut grass. Smiles all round and I never broke anything! Having run my Savage XL though I did think that it could probably take some bigger wheels.

For me the Vader is a bit of a hidden gem!

Now that's some interesting reading! The drivetrain really is coping with 8s?

Yes. Punch is turned right down on the XL2, and I keep it below waist height on the jumps, but so far all is good. Only thing that went wrong was losing the set screw on the pinion gear, and that was my fault for not using thread lock!

Yes. Punch is turned right down on the XL2, and I keep it below waist height on the jumps, but so far all is good. Only thing that went wrong was losing the set screw on the pinion gear, and that was my fault for not using thread lock!

Hah, I lost the entire pinion on my S5! That's a tenner that's going to smash up a council lawnmower! Threadlock FTW!

Got any video?

Well I just went to the park and ran my Frenzy 9M.. with an all up weight in excess of 14 stone still managed jumps shoulder high, no issues with transmission but was some severe overheating by the time I got back home mostly due to neighbour being sat in the buggy while I pulled it!

That was running on 1S by the way, 1 stella..

fzy11_banner.jpg

As for 1515.. I might put it in, I might put it in something else, it will not wear out sat in the box :)

Might look at getting a x01 bigblock for it..

Edited by Louise-Paisley

ROFL!

That's by far the biggest wing I've seen on any body buggy :yes:

But seriously man, you need to upgrade. We're all wireless these days!

LOLOLOL 2 x 250kg lines and 2 x 350kg lines, not entirely sure how you can transmit 1.2 tonnes of force wireless but open to suggestions :)

That is my baby wing, well not really, I have a 2.5m2 kite which I really just play with when I can't be bothered taking the board or buggy out, the 9m2 Frenzy is the one I use most as its a good balance between control speed and force but when I am feeling more reckless I take out the 11m2 Ozone Manta III but if the gusts get above 15mph that one really takes you for a ride, its dragged me 40m across the grass on my face before now! Of course the spectators enjoy it because that is what they are all waiting for but it is not quite so much fun when its your face :D

What gearing would be needed for a castle 1717 1650kv, I have seen a few sources that say you can slot it right in with stock gearing and esc but that is going to be nearly twice the RPM so makes me wonder if that's a reality - I don't want super fast speeds, a bit faster than stock would be good, but reliable heat control is more useful to me..

I also intend to get/ make/ beg/ steal/ borrow on a permanent basis/ some hex converters to put some alternative boots on, preferably something a bit bigger as the stock just look a bit Frankenstein to me so that will also eventually come into play..

did you look on the redcat rampage forum as people run the 1717 on there. For hex convertors look at kershawdesigns and 7075rc they also do motor mounts giving you a greater choice motors and gearing.

Edited by stretch

not as such, exactly, in those words exactly.. I kind of got distracted by wind and went to the park to be dragged across the grass on my head/ shoulder/ back/ backside.. but when I managed to get in the buggy it was a serious adrenaline kick, as much time on two wheels as all three - I love traction kiting..

Will go and have a butchers hook at rampage forum, I could be wrong but I think I read on there its a drop in replacement..

Edited by Louise-Paisley

Really?? Then eat something less spicy, prior to taking one's huge sheet on strings down the park  :whistling:

That surely would be counter productive, beans, beans and more beans, the more wind the better :D

its over there ---->

Oh no, actually its over there <-----

No, No, I got it, its 3 posts excluding yours up there ^^^^^^^ but you might need to take an air freshener with you

Castle 1717s are not beefy enough to run the Vader properly at 6S. A bunch of people in the US got them when Castle found a box of them on a shelf in lil ol Kansas, and were selling them off cheap (the old green version, not the longer axled black version they released for the XO1). Have a look at Youtube and on the rampage forums for a guy called Obeast44 IIRC.

In the end, if you follow the thread forwards about 50 pages, they all went with an 8S 56xx motor setup.

Oh and I've heard Activia is good for wind...

Castle 1717s are not beefy enough to run the Vader properly at 6S. A bunch of people in the US got them when Castle found a box of them on a shelf in lil ol Kansas, and were selling them off cheap (the old green version, not the longer axled black version they released for the XO1). Have a look at Youtube and on the rampage forums for a guy called Obeast44 IIRC.

In the end, if you follow the thread forwards about 50 pages, they all went with an 8S 56xx motor setup.

Oh and I've heard Activia is good for wind...

I'm stunned at that, the Vader is big, but the 1717 is a monster of a motor. I take it these guys were looking for 1/10 or 1/8 type performance? The kind of power that rips tyres clean off the rims?