• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Looking for a new engine

Hi people, I recently got a Hyper 7 black off of Ebay. So far Ive done a few upgrades to it(shocks,new shell,6v receiver pack,Savox servo for the steering).

Looking at getting a new engine next but im really not sure what to go for.Any help would be great.

Im leaning towards an LRP Z.28R spec 3, would this be a good choice?

Ideally I want a pull start (dont like the idea of carrying a starter box with me).

I was looking at sticking with a .21 but going for a race engine however they all seem to be bump start,is this right?

Thanks for any input.

it will be spot on mate, just follow the running in procedure and don't make the mistake of tuning it too lean lol It is a very powerful engine. Makes my Hyper Truggy shift.

Link to manual if you need it

http://www.lrp.cc/fi...etee-080922.pdf

Edited by Sandmaster Ben

Yeh its a commun misconception that lower fuel % will make your big block last longer..... Lower nitro percentages have more methanol in whitch increased the running temp whitch is why lrp will ONLY warranty your engine if it is run between 25%-36%. 20% is ok on a .25 ish size engines, but it would run cooler and more powerfully on 25% but running anything less that 20% on a .28 more bigger is not good for the engine. You will also have to reduce the engines head clearance if you run lower % fuel.

Smaller nitro engines run on lower nitro % because they are smaller and cant hold the heat as well as bigger nitro engines.

Yeh its a commun misconception that lower fuel % will make your big block last longer..... Lower nitro percentages have more methanol in whitch increased the running temp whitch is why lrp will ONLY warranty your engine if it is run between 25%-36%. 20% is ok on a .25 ish size engines, but it would run cooler and more powerfully on 25% but running anything less that 20% on a .28 more bigger is not good for the engine. You will also have to reduce the engines head clearance if you run lower % fuel.

Smaller nitro engines run on lower nitro % because they are smaller and cant hold the heat as well as bigger nitro engines.

I didn't know that, good to know

So 20% is ok? if not then Ill make a trip to the model shop to buy some 25%

Fitted the engine today,had to trim and file the engine mounting plate to get it to sit correctly. Ran 3 tanks of fuel through it before it got dark,2 more to go tomorrow.

Had to trim the new shell to get the head to fit(was a bit scary!)lol

P1020642.jpg

On a side note,my ST shock towers arrived today so fitted them aswell.

You can run 20% if you want but it wont produce as much power.... and may run at a higher temp... But 20% wont damage the engine. Its just that some people think that is they run there BB on 10% fuel then itll last 5 years.......... WRONG. I Normaly run 25-30% in all of my engines tbh.

Edited by Baja 5b

you could do with some tyres mate lol

+1 on that. I love the look of that engine, i have the same engine but with the nosram head and its a great engine. (Sandmaster re-built my nosram .28 a couple of days ago and have yet to run it :thumbsup: )

You can run 20% if you want but it wont produce as much power.... and may run at a higher temp... But 20% wont damage the engine. Its just that some people think that is they run there BB on 10% fuel then itll last 5 years.......... WRONG. I Normaly run 25-30% in all of my engines tbh.

Ive got a 1/4 gal of 20% left,once thats gone I'll shift to 25%,will I need to shim the engine for the higher %?

+1 on that. I love the look of that engine, i have the same engine but with the nosram head and its a great engine. (Sandmaster re-built my nosram .28 a couple of days ago and have yet to run it :thumbsup: )

Nice one, ive only run 2 tanks through mine on up half throttle. The first I more or less let idle to warm up. I snapped the pull start twice though as there was so much compression. Luckily i only snapped it at the handle so just had to take the pull started off to unwind some string and thread back through the handle. I'm slowly running out of cord though hahaha. At least its just the string and not the spring.