• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

custom shell, mock up 1

Redneck29

hi guys

a while back i was talking about makeing a totaly custom shell for are leopard, i have finely finished a rough card bord and tape mock up of what i want to build, alltho it is still a work in progerss the shape im after is there,

it will when im happy be made from fibire glass sheet kits

i have losely based it on a Mcrae T1 rally desert rally car.

pics here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcandsally/sets/72157628274616959/

i still have work to do but thort i would see what you lot think, but please remember this is just 1st mock up and i may change it in places.

yea i allready thort of that and i will be doing so with the rear mudguards.

ive had it surgetsed to me by my bro in law that i get it vac formed as a one off peice, ill look into that once i every thing how i really want it

ok, wheel arches on rear extended, and card mock up shored up with some marcano metal inside, next job geting and cutting and laying the sheet fibireglass ready for resin,

and make a jig for the f1 style wing, also been reworked on my mock up.

i may have to reuse some of the marcano metal once the fibireglass is dryed to reinforce the arches a little or dubble layer the fibireglass

Make the wheels arches and side skirts tighter on the wheels and chassis, will make it look racier and sleek. Maybe a scoop or something on the bonnet?

make the front (middle) longer so it hides the shock towers it would look better

Buy some of the ally mesh they sell in Halfords for body repairs....you can put that in between the layers of fibreglass to stiffen it up some. Have used this technique several times and it works well.

ok, the wheel arches are high coz im copying a t1 desert rally car and thats how thay are. im keeping the front short as im adding a bullbar off a 1/5 monster.

i have some of that mesh, its going in on the sides and arches, the marcano metal is just going ova the rollcage .

and i have got a vent between the front arches its kinda hard to see in the pics, but it will be a useable vent rather than just for looks,

and sleek is not the look im after, im looking for MEAN!!!!!

i have got the first layer of fine weve of fibireglass sheet in place i will be adding the resin tomorrow as i ran out of time, and then adding 2 more layers ova the top with the meatl strip and mesh in between were needed.

Edited by Redneck29

I think hes gona make a mold if it all works out right, he will have a lot to do before that, but its his little project so there is no rush.

He did say that he would make them for outher people if it works but we shell see and its a orignal design unlike the production shells so it could sell well.

So far its looking very good, hes got the t1 style pritty much perfect,with

the high arches and inbuilt bonnet vent, totaly unique as fas as rc goes.

Personly its not my style but when he runs our car he can use it.

update

ive done the first layer of resin and all went well, it looks kinda rough at the min, but its only the first of 3 layers, its curranty on the balcany drying ova nite as i used a little less harder than i was ment to so i had time to work

this is were i am at so far, 2 layers of 1mm fibireglass tissue on, cant do any more as im out of resin and tissue, so ill leave it till mid week now

geting there but a lot more work to do

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcandsally/6481771253/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcandsally/6481768831/in/photostream

g