• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Glow plugs keep blowing.

Condor1201

My Hyper 7 has been run in, iv run nearly 2 gallons through it...this afternoon though i have gone through 3 plugs in 1/2 hour.

Is this an indication of the engine running too rich or too lean or both?

Iv noticed some air bubbles also in the fuel line but i think thats because the fuel filter was a tad loose.

The plug is a OS8, fuel is Byron Race 25%

ideas anybody?

is that the .28 engine or the .21?

If it is the .28 mach, unfortunately they do tend to eat plugs from experience!

Things to check are the running temperatures, keep it below about 115 Degs C

Try a cooler plug for a start! I gave up on OS plugs a while back, however they do have good reports from users. I now use Nova's

Make sure you have no silly air leaks.

Make sure you have checked your tune with the colder weather, generally you will need to richen the engine up in the colder temperatures (as the more dense air contains more oxygen so you need more fuel).

Good luck.

My Hyper 7 has been run in, iv run nearly 2 gallons through it...this afternoon though i have gone through 3 plugs in 1/2 hour.

Is this an indication of the engine running too rich or too lean or both?

Iv noticed some air bubbles also in the fuel line but i think thats because the fuel filter was a tad loose.

The plug is a OS8, fuel is Byron Race 25%

ideas anybody?

as for the air bubbles...my hyper 8 tank lid needs a very slight push down to seat/sael properly...[urs may be the same]......otherwise u`ll suck in air and cause bubbles......

hi - thanks for the replys its the .21 engine, i have been re-tuning all afternoon, using the pinch test for the LSN - which was slightly rich.

The coil does'nt look too bend or disfigured - what is that normally an indication of?

Coils normally just snap "burn out". Both running rich and lean can cause this.

My pinch is about 5 seconds, some people say 2 seconds and less than that and your too lean. Regarding the LSN Remember make a small change, drive it (where possible) for a min, stop for 20 seconds then boot it and see what happens? also don't forget the HSN its more likely that the car is running lean at top end to blow plugs.

How does the car perform normally when its running?

Out of interest, how do you stop the engine?

Thanks for your help guys. Regarding the pinch test i guess its around the 5 seconds mark, i tend to struggle a bit with tuning on the HSN. I think im still to lean my temps where around 260f and in some cases a bit higher. I stop the engine by the finger on exaust - although i normally go bashing for about 90 mins or so and rarely do i stop the engine i.e i keep filling it up while running.

I need to order some more plugs now. The funny thing is that during my run in process i did'nt foul a single plug. So something is not right for it to suddenly go through 3 earlier so quikly. Could the air bubbles in the fuel line be an indication of something not right?....i cant run the car up now until next weekend..

Can i reset the HSN to factory on its own or do i have to set the LSN to factory at the same time? i.e can i do one with out the other?

Always worth a punt imop...ive done it every way round for fault finding but usually is best to reset both at same time and seriously micro tweek it