• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Need to upgrade to new motor...

Hello guys,

Today I went to a local meeting of the local flying club. :-)

It was a really good fun.

I had some guys who offered to fly my plane and see how it goes. Due to the ground conditions we had to throw it by hand. It flew but we immediatelly seen that the motor was not powerful enough and it was just hovering.

It flew for about 2 mins until some tail wind came in action and managed to drop it to the ground.

I am looking to upgrade to a brushless motor... what will I need? Any online shop suggestions?

At the moment it has a brushed motor and normal rechargable pack.

Cheers

V

Apparently it has at the moment 380 brushed motor

This is the link to my plane http://www.rctoysuk.com/3ch-guanli-jaguar-military-j3-piper-cub-warbird-wwii-rc-plane-g401-1-14.html

I did not buy it from there... but at least it has pictures and an idea of specs.

Specifications:

Wing span: 955mm

Length: 730mm

Weight: 640g

Battery: 8.4v-650mAh NI-MH

Power: 380 brushed motor

4 channel TX

6 channel RX

2*9g servo,

1*25A brush ESC

Flying weight:450g

The day today in my area was still trust me not a breath lol.

My plane was heavier than some others in there... I know strange.

They had similar planes to mine ... with just stronger engines and would fly without a problem.

But as I have seen it with my own eyes as well, my plane was just underpowered the motor it has it just is not enough to make the plane to go higher than 8 meters let's say.

They just suggested the obvious to be honest which was to upgrade the motor.

In the instructions it states it needs a 20m run to take off ... where on earth will I be able to do that indoors??

I don't want to get a same spec'd brushed motor as it will not do me any good... hence I am looking for a bit more powerful brushless motor so I can learn to fly with it a bit easier... as it is at the moment the plane cannot go to a height where I could correct my errors if something wrong happens. :sly:

OK I have just taken some photos with my phone and uploaded them. If they do not appear correctly it will be because I am using my Mac ... let me know and I will re upload using my PC.

The dimensions are (body only) 4cm length and 3cm diameter.

As far as I understand I will need

1x brushless motor

1x speed control

1x LiPo battery

and I guess a charger for the battery.

Thank you in advance Sean.

PS the motor is only kept with a cable tie I put in place as when I received the plane it only had a rubber band holding it in place (the black tray) which was perished and broken.

I have just found I think an upgraded version of my plane with brushless http://www.nitroplanes.com/gl401-5-j3-green-rtf.html

post-19720-0-88334700-1321144640_thumb.j

post-19720-0-14058100-1321144648_thumb.j

post-19720-0-01036500-1321144656_thumb.j

post-19720-0-58230800-1321144664_thumb.j

post-19720-0-96902600-1321144671_thumb.j

post-19720-0-39755400-1321144679_thumb.j

Edited by greekbullet

one thing you could try first, the plane really is a no wind-er as sean says, it needs a very calm day. i did fly one like this for someone myself and even i had a bit of trouble getting it up to speed, i used a hill, with a gentle slope so i could aim it down, that way i was able to pick up speed much quicker.

try a different prop first, with a better turn angle on it, this can improve a poor motor quite a bit, its the same as adding a different prop to a boat.

then go for the motor if that doesn't work, with the better prop on as well.

you don't want to get the plane flying too fast, as a beginner, as all movements will be amplified by the speed and can make it twitchy.

so go for a calm day, new prop and a hill to start, then the motor and new prop if that fails to get it airborn

• Like 1

It could not have been a calmer day to the one we had yesterday .... literally there not a single breath of wind :-(

I will learn to fly on a dual remote mode with a plane from the club ... to start with. But I cannot see how this plane can fly with the motor or prop it has on :-( ...

I don't even know the size of the prop I need to buy.

The whole thing turns a bit to a headache lol. :fish:

By the way I have no clue what prop I have at the moment ... they just came in a see through plastic bag ... and they are made out of a very thin grey plastic.

Edited by greekbullet

im a bit out of touch with the props as havent had one for a while, if you could take yours to a model shop and see if they could recommend one that may help. from what you say a prop may well do it, oh and the hill :)

does it just stall in the air, or not even gain any height?

• Like 1

I just seen this on Hobbyking...

http://www.hobbyking...er%5FMotor.html

Thats way to much power as it will kick out 665watts of power.. ripp your wings off..

Right If your going for that sort of motor,

I recommend the.... Turnigy 2836 1000kv 300watts / Turnigy 40amp ESC / 5amp UBEC / 9x5 size prop.. 1500mAh 3cell (11.1v) Zippy Li-Po... all from hobbyking.

I've used this set set up on two of my powerd gliders , one being 2meter wing span , the other only 1.4meter..

Now with my smaller one..

Once up into the sky would fly very nicly a under half throttle,wack the throttle all the way up and my Skyhawk ( Recommend buying one of these, there cheap to buy ,once upgraded ) will fly like a Notliner (Hotliner)..

• Like 1

im a bit out of touch with the props as havent had one for a while, if you could take yours to a model shop and see if they could recommend one that may help. from what you say a prop may well do it, oh and the hill :)

When I first started flying ,I too bought a very similar plane...

Nothing but head aches from the start..

Yeah , the only way I could get it into the air was hand launch off a hill...

Funny enough I've still got it in a box in the attic..

OK I have just taken some photos with my phone and uploaded them. If they do not appear correctly it will be because I am using my Mac ... let me know and I will re upload using my PC.

The dimensions are (body only) 4cm length and 3cm diameter.

As far as I understand I will need

1x brushless motor

1x speed control

1x LiPo battery

and I guess a charger for the battery.

Thank you in advance Sean.

PS the motor is only kept with a cable tie I put in place as when I received the plane it only had a rubber band holding it in place (the black tray) which was perished and broken.

I have just found I think an upgraded version of my plane with brushless http://www.nitroplan...-green-rtf.html

Your going to have to fit/make a plywood firewall to hole the new motor....

It does not stall ... just cannot get any height ... and the motor seems to loose some power after 1min of flying in full speed ... it drops rpm's.

man, wont that cost more than the plane? losing height and slowing down seems more like you could do with a better battery, can anyone lend you a good one to try before spending all that cash?

im prob gonna get one of those pa addictions soon, such cool colours as well

Edited by darknight

Here are the blade style the plane already has... I assume the previous owner had bought those as replacement ... however not sure if they are the right for the plane.

I have no clue what the specs are ... however end to end measurement is 17.5cm

there should be something printed on the props.. may be very faint...

The thing about swapping out motors/ESC / Props is you need a watt meter.. this is a must have...

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy 130A Watt Meter and Power Analyzer

All motors are rated in Kv and watts... fitting the wrong prop on a motor with not enough Amps on a ESC , you could be under powered or over powered which will burn out your motor or ESC....

• Like 1

why do you need the usb thing..

Turnigy USB Linker for AquaStar/SuperBrain

Turnigy USB Linker for AquaStar/SuperBrain

there should be something printed on the props.. may be very faint...

The thing about swapping out motors/ESC / Props is you need a watt meter.. this is a must have...

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy 130A Watt Meter and Power Analyzer

All motors are rated in Kv and watts... fitting the wrong prop on a motor with not enough Amps on a ESC , you could be under powered or over powered which will burn out your motor or ESC....

oooohhh this looks like a nice gadget ... I assume it stays on the plane while it flies? or is it something I will just plug in battery / esc and motor and see what happens?

Sorry clueless

I just had a really close look on the propella ... and nope nothing at all :( :( is written on

oooohhh this looks like a nice gadget ... I assume it stays on the plane while it flies? or is it something I will just plug in battery / esc and motor and see what happens?

Sorry clueless

I just had a really close look on the propella ... and nope nothing at all :( :( is written on

LOL,,, No you don't leave it in the plane...

You plug it inbetween the battery and ESC..

It helps you with the power set up...

Amp / Watts / Volts draw ..

Bigger props will pull higher watts/amps, so to stay with in limits of your motor /ESC you need to know what prop,will give you the best out of a motor...

Here's a Vid of me using my Watt meter on a 630watt motor if I had a 12x8 prop, but I was only using a 10x6 prop and that was fast enough for me..

Now when you've been flying for a while and you want a Hotliner ( can fly at over 100mph) the Blizzard is the one..

I've got 2... :thumbsup:

Edited by seanmcgrath48
  • Like 1