• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best Buggie To Start With?

SlinginHooHa

Hi Guys,

I'm almost about to buy a Hyper 7 Black but have just come into a little more money and wondered if there was better buggies to buy as a starter buggie which can later be raced competitively even if needs a few tweeks?

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Edited by SlinginHooHa

As the person above has said, stay away from the Hyper 7 and 8's if you want a competitive racer. The hyper 9 or hyperstar are much more suited for that. It's all down to weight and strength of car. The hyper 7 and 8 are just too heavy and weak and need a small fortune spent on them to be truly race ready, they also come with an engine that will get smoked by pretty much everything else on the track.

These are not the only cars available mind you, there are plenty of pro kits available depending on your budget. Even if your budget doesn't stretch as far as buying new then a used pro roller (no engine or servos) is a great option. You can get a roller and a good spares package for around half the price of a new kit.

Best of luck in your search

Depends what you want, a good sturdy basher (Hyper 7's weak???? strange statement) or a competitive racer.

You don't really get both so you'd be best off buying basher now, upgrade the engine as you get better then go for a pro-roller

when you want to start racing. Models like the 7 are solid cars but bits are cheap so when you have the inevitable bashing accidents

they're a damn sight cheaper to sort than a full on racer.

Depends what you want, a good sturdy basher (Hyper 7's weak???? strange statement) or a competitive racer.

Was talking about the steering knuckles and shock towers. Lost count of the number of times someone stripped the thread in those knuckles or snapped one and those shock towers are made of cheese. They might be fine for bashing but when it comes to racing you will need to upgrade those bits.

Steering knuckles I've never broken but know what you mean about standard shock towers. Considering the amount of head-on's my 7 has taken, I wouldn't class it as weak tho and I reckon it takes more abuse out bashing than it would ever see racing.

hyper 7's are as tough as nails and theres no other way about it. they make great starter cars, and will be competitive in local/club races if set up correctly. if you're planning on anything more than the odd freindly race, look at a hyper 9 or hyper star :good:

hyper 7's are as tough as nails and theres no other way about it. they make great starter cars, and will be competitive in local/club races if set up correctly. if you're planning on anything more than the odd freindly race, look at a hyper 9 or hyper star :good:

+1 hyper 7 is the toughest car i have ever owned!

ok mate, i was in the same boat two months ago, finally narrowed my choice down to hyper 7 then contacted bmm (local rc shop) who told me the caster zx1.5 rtr was a better spec buggy for app a tenner more (cnc parts better servos bigger engine) so i went for it. obviously i had nothing to compare his info with but so far i am suited with it, replacement parts are easy to get hold of aswell as i,ve hit a couple of kerbs so far and had to replace various steering parts etc....(t bones now on order) i explained it would mostly be for bashing and not racing till i got the hang of things tho, weather this swayed his info i don't know.. hope this helps.

All the Hypers are tough and great little car.

Problem is IMO I feel it all becomes a little about fashion sometimes, about having the latest kit or most expensive sexy models.

At club level, any "good brand" RTR or kit is just fine. Yes you will have some chaps running 300 quid motors and 700 quid chassis that are fast, but remember some guys have also have "all the gear and no idea"

I run at club level a bashed out old inferno MP sport and it should really be "crap" on the track! its actually not that bad besides the shockers and engine its how it came out the RTR box over 3 years ago! I'm yet to break it whilst racing. My mate runs a hyper 7 RTR with a few upgrades and its just fine.

Thing is, if you can drive well and smooth and can set a car up half decently you will find you will be racing with some the kids with the fancy kits and most probably beating them on regular occasions.

However if you want to get serious about racing this is another level!..............

The better and faster you become and the more competitive the competition get, this is when the little things start to make a difference between a win or a third .

I used to run 1/10th electric at competition level some years (shall we say) ago, I had a Yokomo YZ10 that was actually an ex yokomo worx car once used by a team driver, it was at the time one of the absolute best 1/10th 4WD electrics you could get. However it all comes at a huge price, I remember buying a carbon upper tray for £80, just because it was better and lighter than the original item, How much faster did it make me go??? well it looked good anyway :)

At a very competitive racing level, in all honesty I can imagine your looking at having probably £1500-£2000 and beyond worth of kit with 1/8th nitro. With that amount of kit and quality, I doubt you would ever take it "bashing" I certainly did not with my old YZ10.

At the end of the day its all about fun for money, so I think most of the cars mentioned in the thread are just fine, its all down to budget your skill level and how far you want to take it :)

Have fun

Edited by kingscott