• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Custom built SPI alloy rims with less offset anyone?

grumpygramps

I've been thinking about getting some SPI Pro Stock wheels for my Flux for ages, as they're the ultimate Monster Truck wheel in terms of durability, strength (lifetime guanteed) and look really tasty with it.. :wub:

The only thing that put me off was having such a massive offset and them sticking out far too much from the sides of the truck, which gives a bit of a weird look, especially on smaller trucks, and puts added strain on bits like arms and bulks.

So, a few days back I contacted Rich from SPI about making some custom built wheels for me with less offset. He replied and said that getting the wheels made to my own spec is fine, but will add to costs. Fortunately, as it's just changing the offset and nothing else about the design, the costs aren't huge, just $15 extra per set :)

I've talked some more with him, and another forum member who'd like some, and we've decided on getting some made up with approx 1" offset (rather than what in reality is nearly 2" as they come standard).

If you're at all interested in some of these to then please post below. They would be great for any MT or Truggy, particularly if you've got serious brushless power in there, want a set of wheels that won't break, handle really well and look fantastic :good:

I'm not going to profit at all out of this btw, but if we can get a bigger order together then prices are likely to drop, which is good for all of us.

If you're not familliar with SPI wheels, here's a link to the SPI website (look at the Pro Stock wheels in the Bashing Wheel Design section) hopefully there'll be a nice pic of them appearing below shortly too. They are expensive, but if you think in terms of never having to shell out for another set of wheels, they're a very good investment and will save you loads of cash ;)

Cheers, Lawrence

Edited by grumpygramps

I'm in! good.gif

I've had my full offset (OS) SPI Pro stocks for over a year now and they still look just as gorgeous as they did back then, but as Laurence said, the full OS rim on a stock size Savage looks a little odd because of the extra width.

So a 1/2 OS SPI would be just about right IMO as it would be more in proportion to the size of a stock size Savage...the full OS rim looks mint on an XL or XXL Savage BTW.

Laurence asked me to post some pics of mine, so here they are (full OS)

101_0089.jpg

101_0091.jpg

101_0121.jpg

Edited by dirtyhabitz

Now they look extremely nifty.

What's the crack with shipping, have you looked into this yet? Import duty in the UK is a real skank, they tax you on items over a certain amount (several sets of these wheels are going to be way over), charge you VAT at 20%......AND do the same on shipping and insurance costs too.

Then you can get slapped with a 'handling charge' from our post Office, for just doing what they would normally do.

Edited by Fluclear

The wheels are all going to have to be the same to get the price down, and I've just received another message from Rich saying that on 10 sets it will be $85 each (not inc shipping).

I imagine that most people will want 17mm hex's, I certainly do, and 1" offset seems popular too..?

Now they look extremely nifty.

What's the crack with shipping, have you looked into this yet? Import duty in the UK is a real skank, they tax you on items over a certain amount (several sets of these wheels are going to be way over), charge you VAT at 20%......AND do the same on shipping and insurance costs too.

Then you can get slapped with a 'handling charge' from our post Office, for just doing what they would normally do.

Not sure about shipping costs yet, I've just asked if he can find out exact costs for that. I'll try to work out something on the import duty front.. Could be crippling if the full value of the goods was declared... :confused:

Might be that if we got them shipped out in individual sets, rather than bulk, it would be easier to escape charges?

Not sure about shipping costs yet, I've just asked if he can find out exact costs for that. I'll try to work out something on the import duty front.. Could be crippling if the full value of the goods was declared... :confused:

Might be that if we got them shipped out in individual sets, rather than bulk, it would be easier to escape charges?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, plus if they're shipped in bulk they've got to be posted yet again to their new owners once they arrive in our country.

I've used my freebie duty calculator chances but I'm pretty sure if the item value passes

When I bought my SPI's last year Rich marked then down as $20 so I dodged the VAT duty.

Not sure if he'd do it with a large order though..?

@ Carmst74 - Wouldn't you be better off with the full OS rims and not use the axle extenders..? I'll be selling mine once I have my new ones if your interested (it's worth a shot, right? laugh.gif)

Al ask rich tomor if he made mine, coz I won't see me mate till the next family doo, which won't be for a bit, & wot is this off set thing, is it the width or the angle of the rims ?

Edited by Rc walshy

Just to keep things on topic...

I'll keep the thread updated with anymore details about prices of shipping etc as they come in.

Would be great if we could get enough interest for 10 sets to lower the price, if not they'll be $110 each, which I'm quite happy to pay for a set for myself anyway :)

I don't mind paying the $110 too, I'll just be happy getting the Pro stocks in the 1/2 OS...but if we can get them a little cheaper then that would be a result smile.gif

A Savage benefits from some positive OS due to it's high centre of gravity (COG).

Edited by dirtyhabitz

Quick update..

The price on 10 he quoted me apparently includes shipping costs to the UK, so I've worked out exactly how much the wheels will cost per set, including import duties.

Maximum price will be £65.67 per set of 4, but more likely to be around £55 if the same value is declared per set as when dirtyhabitz got his. Not bad! :)

Edit- If this does go ahead, I'll be posting the individual sets out to people when they arrive in the UK, so probably another £4 for P&P on top for a final price :good:

Edited by grumpygramps

I don't mind paying the $110 too, I'll just be happy getting the Pro stocks in the 1/2 OS...but if we can get them a little cheaper then that would be a result smile.gif

For those of you who were asking what offset is..this pic makes it clear..

offset.gif

A Savage benefits from some positive OS due to it's high centre of gravity (COG).

im up for this guys...

I need negative offset...my current wheels have about 20mm ...can i choose any design ?

im up for this guys...

I need negative offset...my current wheels have about 20mm ...can i choose any design ?

Negative OS Chris? huh.gif

SPI's MT wheels are almost 100% positive OS, Laurence has asked if they could make the Pro stock rim with 50% positive OS (1/2 OS) as a special order, but I think all the orders will need to be the same..

..Is that right Laurence?