• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My first drifter, TT-01D Type-E

DreXeL

Decided to dip my feet into the world of RC drifting, I fancied a kit so ordered a bare TT-01D Type-E chassis kit on ebay. I also bought an HPI AE86 shell and Ansmann 6mm offset drift wheels:

DSCF2001-1.jpg

A couple of days later and it's finished (apart from the electrics, will be getting them this week):

DSCF2003.jpg

DSCF2005-1.jpg

DSCF2004.jpg

DSCF2006-1.jpg

DSCF2007-1.jpg

Considering I've never painted a polycarb shell before I'm really happy with the results. There's some paint bleed around the bonnet but it's not too bad, and yes I know some of the stickers are a little wonky. But I love the way it looks, the stance is perfect with the 6mm offset wheels.

Can't wait to get the electrics installed now so I can have a play cool.gif

Thanks mate, not 100% decided what electrics yet, will likely be just a cheap brushed combo though, don't need a huge amount of power for drifty action :)

• 1 month later...

OK, bit of an update. I was running a cheap Ansmann brushed combo with an NIMH pack, it was fine for learning how to drift at low speed but I wanted to move on and give it a bit more power for some higher speed stuff. I bit the bullet and ordered an EZRUN brushless setup, an absolute bargain at £25 new on ebay. Whilst it was apart I also fitted an aluminium propshaft, aluminium upper arm mounts, and an aluminium tie-rod set. I also have an ally steering linkage coming, but it's not here yet. Here's how she looks under the hood now:

DSCF2029.jpg

I also bought some new wheels/tyres. I did this because I wanted some slightly grippier tyres, and also because the chrome had started to peel from the centres of the Ansmann wheels and it was starting to look pretty bad. I prefer the the looks of these wheels/tyres anyway :)

DSCF2028.jpg

DSCF2025.jpg

DSCF2026-1.jpg

DSCF2027.jpg

DSCF2024.jpg

As you can see I've picked up a few little drift scars too blush.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by DreXeL

Well I haven't had the chance to run it with the new tyres, and the EZRUN was a bit much for the old tyres so it was almost impossible to get any real speed up, but the couple of times I did manage to keep it in a straight line long enough to get a bit of speed up it was very quick compared to my old brushed setup, was probably hitting 25-35mph with the wheels still spinning. I'm still using the stock TT-01 pinion aswell, so there is speed to be gained by going with a larger pinion.

The extra torque of the EZRUN setup is great though, makes drifting at higher speeds a breeze. Will be interesting to see what it's like with the more grippy tyres.

Edited by DreXeL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...