• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

Have you guys ever own a Maverick branded RC? My cousin just purchased a Maverick MT Brushless and he paid the same i did for my brushed E-Firestorm.

Since he has brushless power, 4WD, 8 shocks, what's the down side? How does the durability compare? Is the Maverick weaker? I know for sure the E-Firestorm can be abused with minor repairs. 

Edited by EquinoxRC

Hey, I had a nitro firestorm a few years ago and found it to be tough little wagon, had a couple of broken lower arms but other than that was spot on. After a few years out of the hobby I returned and purchased a maverick strada MT which I have converted to a brushless system and changed shock oils and springs, I'm very impressed with the build quality to be honest, I feel that maybe the shock towers could do with an aluminium upgrade as there is a bit of flex there and a little loose around the steering system but it's  a buget package so never going to have the true HPI quality. As of yet I haven't broken anything on mine, surprising really as it landed on its roof and cart wheeled down hills. Great entry level truck for the money! 

Edited by Wabom1981

I see that you're running only 4 shocks. My cousin took it out for a ride and while it was faster than my E-FireStorm on 3S it didnt last very long. He's new so he was crashing a bit too hard. Ended up with 3 wheels because the screws holding the steering hub couldn't take the hit and the wheel came off, bent shock shaft and lost a dog bone.

But after seeing how it runs, i kinda want a 4wd now :)

Edited by EquinoxRC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive neglected my baby recently, mainly due to taking the rx and tx and putting them with my kids new birthday present (traxxas pede) so i'm left with a motionless car. I was thinking of getting one of the flysky combo's but not 100% which as i've heard mixed reviews on them. But it needs to be on a budget really.

• 1 month later...
Should i be running thicker diff oil on the E-Firestorm or not? I'm running 300k CST atm. The truck seems to have trouble going straight without spinning out on loose dirt.

300k cst should definitely be thick enough oil, even for loose dirt. I would suggest checking the seal as it can wear out quite easily and leak diff fluid which essential makes your diff have less resistance. You might also want to check the front wheels alignment and apply a small amount (1-2 degrees) of toe in which should help keep the car straight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well. Don't tell anyone but when i did my diff i found that the seal was in two pieces, really bad shape and i used it anyways (gotta keep it running :) )

Thicker diff oil is better for traction? 

Just came back from an amazing bash and as always it did GOOD. Huge Jumps however with decent landings with almost no breakage, one body post broke, no biggie. 

Also changed my pinion to a small 16 and i sitll don't like the temps, its not burning my finger, but i don't trust it being so hot. Its been running fine for a few months like this, so i don't know if it is running to hot or not. I will probably change the 4000kv motor for a 3000kv that i have on another car. 

I've got one, but always forget it at home. 

I'm waiting on some cheap chinese monster truck tires with 120mm in diameter, so if the chassis still bottoms out with these i will be using them and lower the kv to 3000

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BS-S-New-4PCS-Plastic-Wheel-Rim-and-Rubber-Tires-For-HSP-1-10-Monster-Truck/32645476418.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.SaqD3Z

Edited by EquinoxRC

Well. Don't tell anyone but when i did my diff i found that the seal was in two pieces, really bad shape and i used it anyways (gotta keep it running [emoji4] )
Thicker diff oil is better for traction? 

Just came back from an amazing bash and as always it did GOOD. Huge Jumps however with decent landings with almost no breakage, one body post broke, no biggie. 
Also changed my pinion to a small 16 and i sitll don't like the temps, its not burning my finger, but i don't trust it being so hot. Its been running fine for a few months like this, so i don't know if it is running to hot or not. I will probably change the 4000kv motor for a 3000kv that i have on another car. 

You could buy an infrared thermometer for measuring the temperature of the motor. They aren't very expensive (about £10)
Ideally your motor should not be running any hotter than 70 degrees Celsius.

22 minutes ago, Leo Best said:

You could buy an infrared thermometer for measuring the temperature of the motor. They aren't very expensive (about £10)
Ideally your motor should not be running any hotter than 70 degrees Celsius.

Post above your says he's already got one ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Are the coming out because the the turnbuckle ends are popping off as dog bones shouldn't just pop out otherwise unless you have exessive cup wear? If it's the ends get the blitz ese rods and ends.

• Like 1

No mate, I already have Blitz rod ends on it and the cups seem fine. The only thing that changed is I ran it on road (the runway at Greenham Common) for the first time. They've never ever came out before. It's fast at the moment, it makes my nephew's Brushless FTX Carnage look like it's going in reverse lol, and if I have my way it will be faster soon so I may need to upgrade it. I know the MIP stuff is supposed to be bullet proof, the HPI stuff is pretty good but the HPI Universals are a rip off.

13 hours ago, stretch said:

Are the coming out because the the turnbuckle ends are popping off as dog bones shouldn't just pop out otherwise unless you have exessive cup wear? If it's the ends get the blitz ese rods and ends.

Edited by LifeofBrian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2017 at 18:34, EquinoxRC said:

I bent and broke a turnbuckle. Backflips are fun

Done that a few times, get yourself the Titanium turnbuckles and ESE rod ends and happy days. Titanium are not much more expensive and I've yet to break one (broke a ball stud though).

17 hours ago, ostewart said:

Done that a few times, get yourself the Titanium turnbuckles and ESE rod ends and happy days. Titanium are not much more expensive and I've yet to break one (broke a ball stud though).

Agreed, titanium + ESE = Winner

Too late. I bougth the normal turnbuckles. Still got plenty of rod ends too. 

I'm loving this truck even more with huge tires. However i striped my spur on a stupid jump that i was doing over and over again but what matters is that i did a double front flip on that same jump and landed!

FPyn9XI.jpg

I recommend everyone to buy a set of these tires and run them on the e-firestorm. Spent a ton on ProLines but these hook much better on grass and dirt. 

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/BS-S-New-4PCS-Plastic-Wheel-Rim-and-Rubber-Tires-For-HSP-1-10-Monster-Truck/32645476418.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.MVfjU9

You can get buy the shell from this link too. Wheels rub on the shell so the wheels need to be adjusted to point outwards.

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1-10-RC-Car-Monster-Bigfoot-Truck-PVC-200MM-Raptor-Yellow-Blue-Red-Plastic-Car-shell/32753167040.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.lUVVaB

19 hours ago, EquinoxRC said:

Too late. I bougth the normal turnbuckles. Still got plenty of rod ends too. 

I'm loving this truck even more with huge tires. However i striped my spur on a stupid jump that i was doing over and over again but what matters is that i did a double front flip on that same jump and landed!

FPyn9XI.jpg

I recommend everyone to buy a set of these tires and run them on the e-firestorm. Spent a ton on ProLines but these hook much better on grass and dirt. 

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/BS-S-New-4PCS-Plastic-Wheel-Rim-and-Rubber-Tires-For-HSP-1-10-Monster-Truck/32645476418.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.MVfjU9

You can get buy the shell from this link too. Wheels rub on the shell so the wheels need to be adjusted to point outwards.

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1-10-RC-Car-Monster-Bigfoot-Truck-PVC-200MM-Raptor-Yellow-Blue-Red-Plastic-Car-shell/32753167040.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.lUVVaB

With wheels that size, surely the chassis doesn't hit the ground on a big jump, which in turn transfers the shock to the shock towers and suspension arms...

Thus more likely to break stuff