• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

14 minutes ago, Smithy111 said:

what pinion might be needed if I put a flux warp 5700kv

Watch your motor and ESC temps, with the Warp, mine always got very hot and then died, which seemed to occur to others. Lower kv would be more useable. Dont they supply it with 4000kv now.

Start at 19T pinion but depends on your surface, your driving style, terrain, tyres.

8 hours ago, locky said:

Watch your motor and ESC temps, with the Warp, mine always got very hot and then died, which seemed to occur to others. Lower kv would be more useable. Dont they supply it with 4000kv now.

Start at 19T pinion but depends on your surface, your driving style, terrain, tyres.

The Warp was one of my favourite motors for my Firestorm, unfortunately the build quality of HPI motors is crap so it didn't last long. 14-16t pinion on 2s is about as high as I could go with my driving style.

Hey ho!  I'm new to the RC world and just taken receipt of a new E-Firestorm Flux yesterday.  I opted for a 2S and 3S battery and had a question around whether I need to configure the ESC differently if I'm switching batteries?  I was originally looking at this car about 2 years ago and I remember reading somewhere that you had to set the car up to use a 3S battery but the car I've just bought is an updated model and the manual mentions that the "Auto Lipo" setting will auto detect if I'm using a 2 cell or 3 cell battery and then cut each cell off when it reaches the set cut-off voltage.  From this, am I safe to assume the ESC will auto detect?

Apologies if this has been asked before.  I did try searching.

Also, if anyone's got any recommended do's and don'ts for a newbie, I'd appreciate it.  I've already got a T-Bone bumper on order for crash mitigation. :)

The manual says the fan is rated for 3S packs but doesn't mention anything about having to disconnect it for running in wet conditions.  

*EDIT* never mind, I found the answer on HPI's spec page on their site.  Disconnect the fan.

Edited by TelexStar

How do I check what battery mode (NiMh/LiPo) my E-Firestorm Flux is set to?  The manual included in the box is obviously an older print as certain aspects are obsolete but there's a note about making sure that the ESC is set for the right battery mode otherwise you risk damage.  Several of my ESC settings were different from the stock factory settings (fail-safe was off) so I want to check how I set the battery mode.  The manual doesn't seem to tell me and I can't find an answer anywhere.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

*edit* The ESC is an Flux EMH-3S

Edited by TelexStar

22 minutes ago, stretch said:

Have you checked for updated manual on hpi website? Also 1st result in Google for esc manual  http://hpiracing.world/en/part/112851

Yep, I looked at that but there's no mention of any instructions on how to switch the ESC between LiPo and NiMh.  The older manuals have the instructions but the ESC was different.  The only thing I can think is the ESC auto detects the battery type but I'm not certain - hence I'm asking the question.

1 minute ago, TelexStar said:

Yep, I looked at that but there's no mention of any instructions on how to switch the ESC between LiPo and NiMh.  The older manuals have the instructions but the ESC was different.  The only thing I can think is the ESC auto detects the battery type but I'm not certain - hence I'm asking the question.

Did you actually read the link I gave you?

open http://hpiracing.world/en/part/112851 again 

scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Download PDF instructions for #112851 (2.9 MB)

Once open scroll down to page 8 

Read onwards 

44 minutes ago, stretch said:

Did you actually read the link I gave you?

open http://hpiracing.world/en/part/112851 again 

scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Download PDF instructions for #112851 (2.9 MB)

Once open scroll down to page 8 

Read onwards 

Yes I did. Multiple times.  I'm not trying to be annoying, honest. :) I just don't see the instructions to switch between LiPo and NiMh.  Sorry.

Page 8: covers batteries in the transmitter

Page 9: says there are 2 battery modes and that it's important to set the right one but then doesn't actually tell you how to do it. It refers you to page 34 which covers the various ESC modes but battery mode isn't one of them. It then goes onto the parts list.

What am I missing?

What manual are reading? not the one i linked to as page 8 doesn't talk about putting batteries in the tx???? At page 9 refers to programme mode NOT " 2 battery modes and that it's important to set the right one" It explains putting the esc into programme mode and then changing the setting....

Put the esc into programme mode as per page 8

Page 9 step 2 "Each flash represents the programme mode number" "Release the setup button when you reach the desired mode"

Page 10 step 3 table "Parameter mode" look down, number 3 "Auto lipo cut off"

So release the button when it gets to 3

Then press the button again to change the mode value, no protection etc as per the table.

So just read and follow the steps form page 8 adjusting mode 3.

Now with pics....

4373.jpg

4374.jpg

Or just buy one of these http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=101856

I've just checked you are reading the firestorm flux manua! http://hpiracing.world/assets/documents/instruction_manuals/115896_vol02_e_firestorm_10t_flux_rtr_060415.pdf not the one i said click on! so you  haven't read it once never mind multiple times.

Edited by stretch

10 minutes ago, stretch said:

It explains putting the esc into programme mode and then changing the setting....

Put the esc into programme mode as per page 8

Page 9 step 2 "Each flash represents the programme mode number" "Release the setup button when you reach the desired mode"

Page 10 step 3 table "Parameter mode" look down, number 3 "Auto lipo cut off"

So release the button when it gets to 3

Then press the button again to change the mode value, no protection etc as per the table.

So just read and follow the steps form page 8 adjusting mode 3.

I've done this (and did before I posted) and have my cut off at 3.2v but I thought this was just the cut off point for LiPo batteries.  I know NiMh don't require a cut off but the manual implies that there are 2 specific modes to switch between (LiPo or NiMh) and that running on one with the incorrect battery will cause damage, which is why I'm asking.  From what you're saying though, it sounds as though I don't need to do this?

Lipo mode on an esc just enables lvc as nimh does not require it so you've set it to 3.2 so your good to go. Page 9 of the flux manual http://hpiracing.world/assets/documents/instruction_manuals/115896_vol02_e_firestorm_10t_flux_rtr_060415.pdf where it mentions the 2 modes refers you to page 34 which is the setup for lvc. The esc can't detect battery TYPE but can detect cell count assuming all cells are properly charged etc.

Edited by stretch

4 hours ago, stretch said:

No problem glad we got it sorted now get out there and enjoy it ;)

Had a good first run in some fairly thick grass.  Super fun! :D  Did notice one of the rear wheel nuts was loose by the end so will make a note to check those before each run.  Not sure how tight they were out of the box as I didn't check (silly) but have just ordered some spares with some threadlock as I can see those coming off at some point.

2 hours ago, TelexStar said:

Had a good first run in some fairly thick grass.  Super fun! :D  Did notice one of the rear wheel nuts was loose by the end so will make a note to check those before each run.  Not sure how tight they were out of the box as I didn't check (silly) but have just ordered some spares with some threadlock as I can see those coming off at some point.

top tip for any rc weather new or used...cheap or expensive as quality control can b sum what hit n miss even at places like hpi/traxxas ext......chk every single nut/bolt/screw BEFORE u go play...:good:...this way nothing will fall off/round out[wheel hexs]or go missing.....and ruin ur first bash.....:yes:......and obv chk everything every few other bashes to make sure nothing has come loose....bit of lube where needed...:good:.

Had a good first run in some fairly thick grass.  Super fun! [emoji3]  Did notice one of the rear wheel nuts was loose by the end so will make a note to check those before each run.  Not sure how tight they were out of the box as I didn't check (silly) but have just ordered some spares with some threadlock as I can see those coming off at some point.

I don't think you need to threadlock the wheel nuts just screw them on fairly tightly. You might need to remove the wheels for maintenance/replacement. You don't want any dried on threadlock on the thread either.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk