• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

Well the sirius 4600kv motor feels solid, average wire length but, in the firestorm on standard 19/87 gearing with 2s lipo/35a esc the motor gets as hot as other less 'efficent' motors.

Dissappointed? kinda. Going to have to gear it down, yes (want to be able to run 3s lipo with no heat issues).

I'm going to try 15t pinion to see how that goes, when i find one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

hmm I thoruth sirius would be good, I personaly am looking at an ezyrun 60amp esc and a leopard 8.5T motor.

1) like but need to mod to fit and dont know if esc / motor will take 3cell without overheating!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21945

2) safer option and better runtime but may need more modding...can anypone give advice on this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21940

Anyone have any better options...still havent decided on charger yet But I think it will be one of these two battyys if they can be made to fit and also the above mentiond motor esc combo...havent decided on TX RX yet eather or servo, am going to use a 17mm conversion kit for the wheels so I can use NANDA Big Blocky wheels!!!

so still need:

servo

TX / RX

charger

Need to decide on

wich battery

have got / will know what I am going to get:

wheels, shell, motor, esc.

anyone make any sugestions:

I dont think that the esc makes a difference overall. I reckon that irs definatley the motor/gear ratio.as i have used the following,

Ezrun 10t - melted

Generic hk 4000kv - melted

Generic hk 3000kv - bbq'd

Sirius 4600kv very hot

All above have been on 2s lipo aswell so my only hope is to drop pinion teeth.

So in response to the above post, get any esc you want but make sure you also get a handful of pinions too.

opps my bad this was surposed to go in my new thread sorry for double post guys...if you want to anser above Q can you pelase use the "parts" thread I made...so sorry, and yea think I will stick to 2cell in that case then as I am not speed freak and 2cell is cheaper!

hmm I thoruth sirius would be good, I personaly am looking at an ezyrun 60amp esc and a leopard 8.5T motor.

1) like but need to mod to fit and dont know if esc / motor will take 3cell without overheating!

http://www.hobbyking...idProduct=21945

2) safer option and better runtime but may need more modding...can anypone give advice on this:

http://www.hobbyking...idProduct=21940

Anyone have any better options...still havent decided on charger yet But I think it will be one of these two battyys if they can be made to fit and also the above mentiond motor esc combo...havent decided on TX RX yet eather or servo, am going to use a 17mm conversion kit for the wheels so I can use NANDA Big Blocky wheels!!!

so still need:

servo

TX / RX

charger

Need to decide on

wich battery

have got / will know what I am going to get:

wheels, shell, motor, esc.

anyone make any sugestions:

Why are you so stuck on wanting the 10000mah battery most people run 5000mah. Like I said before the chassis will need chopping to allow for the wires and it would be too tall to fit under the rear shock tower so that will need modding as well.

Why do you want to run nanda blocks? on all four wheels? there plenty of decent 12mm hex setups that people run on the firestorm.

Re shells search 'shell' in this thread and you'll get lots of results back with links to shells.

Edited by stretch
  • Like 1

...ah found the shells bit, as for batts it worked out cheaper to get 2 5000 in the end, was just think it might be worht it if it was posaable but seems like it might take to much modding so am gonna stick witht he 5000 now, wheels, well I just like the nandas and think they look epic, so will poreberly see if I can convert if not Ill look round the 12mm hex again but I am kinda set on the nandas...seen them on the hypers and they look sweet!

Well the sirius 4600kv motor feels solid, average wire length but, in the firestorm on standard 19/87 gearing with 2s lipo/35a esc the motor gets as hot as other less 'efficent' motors.

Dissappointed? kinda. Going to have to gear it down, yes (want to be able to run 3s lipo with no heat issues).

I'm going to try 15t pinion to see how that goes, when i find one.

your esc is well underpowered =/ these motors draw close to 80+ amps your liable to damage the motor and are certain to blow your esc

i noticed you say esc doesn't matter thats utter poop your esc is unable to power any of the motors you've listed causing massive issues

Edited by norcoforever

Hello everyone I don't know if I'm doing some thing wrong or I've bought a bad pair of wheels, i bought a set of hpi wheels for my firestorm as I needed new tyres but both 12mm hex hubs have rounded on them the bolts were deffinatly tight so Im just woundering if any one else has had this problem as they have only probley had 30mins use I've ordered some more wheels (different ones) but obviously don't want this happening again.

Any help or advice is much appreciated

Oh ok, why doesnt esc get even warm if motor wants to pull those kind of amps?

I did consider this so a new esc is enroute.

I run this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17739 with this ESC ('tis HUGE!) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17234 and although the motor gets warm/hot on 3's when running on grass there's been no signs of dying yet.

On your firestorm?!?

Ive got the 120a version of that esc in 1/8 so i'll give that a whirl tonight, thanks

Edited by naymo

On your firestorm?!?

Ive got the 120a version of that esc in 1/8 so i'll give that a whirl tonight, thanks

Yep, on the 'Storm indeed my friend. had to strap the beggar on the rear shock tower (I'd prefer over the steering servo but my cables were too short) and it goes like a scolded cat!

I am seriously fed up with my firestorm now.

I bought it in February, in April after only a couple of dozen runs the esc packed up and was replaced under warranty after a 2-3 week wait. After only a handful more runs the motor casing disintegrated and was also replaced under warranty after another 2-3 weeks. I've not had much time to play with it due to other commitments and the awful weather we've had, so its not exactly heavily-used either.

Today was the first time I actually ran it for more than a 2-minute test in the garden after getting the replacement motor. After about 20 minutes the ESC caught fire :xd: - scary doesnt begin to describe it, the smoke and the stench was appalling and it only stopped burning when something went bang and the wires came off the ESC. After the fire was over the motor was so hot my son burnt his finger on the motor plate, never mind the motor itself.

I can only assume the replacement motor was faulty, which in turn took the ESC out with it. Damage appears to be limited to the ESC although I've not had time to look properly, the battery appears slightly scorched and is showing 3.7v per cell (3S overlander 5000mah softcase) but I'm very wary of putting it on the charger in case its damaged internally and wrecks my charger as well.

Hopefully Modeslport it will get sorted out under warranty again but I've just about had enough of it now and would gladly take a refund and give it up as a bad job. I bought it as something simple, fun and low-maintenance to complement my nitro Savage and I've had more trouble with the firestorm in 5 months than I have with the Savage in 4 years :crybaby:

I had a call from Modelsport this afternoon (Friday), they collected my truck yesterday (although it would have been on Wednesday if the courier had turned up, not MS's fault though), the truck arrived at MS today, Andy has checked it over, replaced the motor and the ESC and its being despatched for delivery back to me on Tuesday.

Truly superb service from Modelsport and a big thankyou and :thumbsup: from me :)

your esc is well underpowered =/ these motors draw close to 80+ amps your liable to damage the motor and are certain to blow your esc

i noticed you say esc doesn't matter thats utter poop your esc is unable to power any of the motors you've listed causing massive issues

Ok so once i got the new 120a esc up n running i can now tell you, DONT LISTEN TO ME!!!!! Ive give the truck a hammering tonight and all is good!!

Both esc and motor after a pack were just warm on 2s/standard gearing.

And I, once again, am a happy chappy :D:D:D

Now to try 3s...............

• Like 1

I wonder - has anyone here tried adjusting the front-most turnbuckles to introduce a bit of negative camber? If so, did you find it helped with turn-in at all?

Like this you mean?

205336_10150997567484686_1649378297_n.jpg

Helps with the power of a brushless.......

Had a quick blast with the new sirius 7700kv, still waiting for pinions to arrive so stupidly used the stock ones, after 3mins the esc was so hot one of the connectors had melted its solder and come off !! My god it was quick though!

Had a quick blast with the new sirius 7700kv, still waiting for pinions to arrive so stupidly used the stock ones, after 3mins the esc was so hot one of the connectors had melted its solder and come off !! My god it was quick though!

Sweet!!

I tried a 3s lipo on mine today (120a esc/sirius 4600kv) and it was just so scatty and uncontrollable so i'll stick to 2s for now till i get some smaller pinions (plus motor was heating up real quik)