• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

5 hours ago, BoutTime said:

Cheers. Yep the supplied transmitters have end points adjustable for throttle and steering. So I've maxed out the steering.
Just seems a little strange that the three cars we have now each have a different type of servo and all need a fair amount of right hand trim.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

The servo horn on the E-Firestorm shouldn't be fitted at a 90 degree angle from the servo case. If you're looking at it straight on, it should be one notch to the left from straight up.

Make sure to centre the servo before installing the horn.

My servo seems fairly solid, is the horn nice and tight on it. A tiny bit of movement won't change anything

Edited by ostewart

The servo horn on the E-Firestorm shouldn't be fitted at a 90 degree angle from the servo case. If you're looking at it straight on, it should be one notch to the left from straight up.

Make sure to centre the servo before installing the horn.

My servo seems fairly solid, is the horn nice and tight on it. A tiny bit of movement won't change anything
Yep the horn is installed 1 spline off centre. The horn is tight and it's definitely the shaft moving.
The guy at RC Octane runs these SRT servos in his own cars and will check his and let me know. He seems like a very decent fella and has offered a replacement, but I'm not too fussed keeping it as long as it doesn't get any worse.
I sorted out the trim by taking apart the horn push rod and shaving 0.5mm-1.0mm off the female threaded side to shorten it. Now I hardly need any trim at all.
Next up is black wheels and some tyres. Thinking Trenchers. The Ground Assaults are wasting away on the block paving in our road.
Trenchers seem to be highly thought of on here and I figured they might be as near to an all surface tyre as I can get. Would you agree? And would you recommend front and rears or just rears?
I'm asking a lot of questions, I know. [emoji849]
Cheers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BoutTime said:

Yep the horn is installed 1 spline off centre. The horn is tight and it's definitely the shaft moving.
The guy at RC Octane runs these SRT servos in his own cars and will check his and let me know. He seems like a very decent fella and has offered a replacement, but I'm not too fussed keeping it as long as it doesn't get any worse.
I sorted out the trim by taking apart the horn push rod and shaving 0.5mm-1.0mm off the female threaded side to shorten it. Now I hardly need any trim at all.
Next up is black wheels and some tyres. Thinking Trenchers. The Ground Assaults are wasting away on the block paving in our road.
Trenchers seem to be highly thought of on here and I figured they might be as near to an all surface tyre as I can get. Would you agree? And would you recommend front and rears or just rears?
I'm asking a lot of questions, I know. emoji849.png
Cheers.

Just rears for now would be fine in my opinion. But it looks good if you match the front and back wheels.

Just rears for now would be fine in my opinion. But it looks good if you match the front and back wheels.
Thanks. And the Trenchers a good choice for an all surface tyre?

8 hours ago, BoutTime said:

Thanks. And the Trenchers a good choice for an all surface tyre?

Definitely, used to run them on my blitz and had a proline pro-mt that had them too.

Very good all terrain tyre, hopefully get some for my e-firestorm one day

I took the Firestorm out for a proper bash today, the first in a while. No breakages at the skatepark but somehow managed to shatter a shock bashing on flat grass ?

477c5b9cefa5172d8aba01393fd2ed42.jpg

ef704c42132a1372a92e9c21e5f4dc30.jpg

9961351dccba26a491810744c81bf122.jpg

Edit: The shock breakage was before heading to the skatepark, fortunately I carry a spare.

Edited by everclear1984

Evening All,

Has anyone ever fitted HPI Super Star MT Wheels to their Firestorm?

The reason I ask is that for the Firestorm or other 2WD trucks they supply different wheels for the front and back. The rears have a deeper offset.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-super-star-mt-wheels-black-deep-offset-2pcs-/rc-car-products/380218

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-super-star-mt-wheels-front-black-2-2in-2pcs-/rc-car-products/23955

I just wondered if it matters to fit the same wheel front and rear. The only reason I can see that they do it like this is because neither of these wheels has the same offset as the standard wheels. And that the standard wheels have an offset somewhere in between. I don't want to stress the hubs or bearings, and I obviously don't want them to rub either. I want some black wheels to go with the Trenchers I aim to buy. The other option is the standard Flux 'Scorch' wheels or the standard brushed 'Split 5' wheels in black but they're out of stock everywhere.

Cheers.

22 hours ago, BoutTime said:

Erm......It was ambitious?emoji850.png

Thing is I'd already tried it once and came up short, and instead of calling it quits I decided more power was needed! I'm still convinced it's possible ;)

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 1

Thing is I'd already tried it once and came up short, and instead of calling it quits I decided more power was needed! I'm still convinced it's possible ?
Who dares wins.

So I've pulled the trigger on 2 pairs of black Pro-Line Desperado 2.2 wheels and 2 pairs of Pro-Line Trencher T 2.2 Tyres.

Neither Modelsport or Wheelspin could confirm the wheels will definitely fit the Firestorm. They are 12mm hex and have a fairly deep offset so they should fit. I may just have to open up the hole a little.

Has anyone tried these wheels on the Firestorm?

Cheers.

Edited by BoutTime
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Thing is I'd already tried it once and came up short, and instead of calling it quits I decided more power was needed! I'm still convinced it's possible ?

List of broken things is definitely needed ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Took mine out for the first time in months for a proper bash. Met up with @Bix and his E-Revo 2.0, my firestorm was not far off when it came to top speed :D

Had a solid run, no issues and it jumps so flat, really happy with how mine is set up regarding weight distrbution, diff oil, shocks and gearing. Need to rebuild the front shocks at the weekend though, as they are leaking a little.

Edited by ostewart
  • Like 3

Just trying to decide on whether to dye these new rims black before I glue the Trenchers on. I have some iDye Poly.5b84dc9039f43347536540ea86d2b234.jpgf882236f1c80c89380748351d1ad8347.jpg

5e0ee9c3e69a2fef8987ff486a7eb440.jpgd70606335ea0262c30537a3a7a542e3c.jpg1791147599418f96c414323d03c8850c.jpg
They look quite good actually. Sometimes white wheels look a bit cheap though. Wonder if they would look better in black?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

They look quite good actually. Sometimes white wheels look a bit cheap though. Wonder if they would look better in black? 

I think they probably would to be honest. Just decided against the risk of ruining them if the dye didn't work. I couldn't get hold of any black 2.2 inch HPI wheels anywhere.I did dye the stock chrome wheels. The issue with them is although I got all the chrome off, what looks to be a polyurethane primer would not budge. I boiled them and used oven cleaner. No joy. So I dyed them anyway and low and behold on one of the wheels the primer started to peel.[emoji34]

I fitted one to the car to see and I do prefer black.

But I think the white look good enough for less than £7 a pair. I haven't driven it yet but the Trenchers feel very grippy. Oh and I almost ruined a tyre with the HPI tyre glue. Jesus. It makes ordinary superglue look like prit-stick.[emoji15]df83d46806c3824ed32a48dcdad45878.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ostewart said:

Took mine out for the first time in months for a proper bash. Met up with @Bix and his E-Revo 2.0, my firestorm was not far off when it came to top speed :D

Had a solid run, no issues and it jumps so flat, really happy with how mine is set up regarding weight distrbution, diff oil, shocks and gearing. Need to rebuild the front shocks at the weekend though, as they are leaking a little.

I have to admit I was well impressed with your Firestorm dude :good: I’ve never had or seen an RC in the flesh that jumped that flat! Gonna have to sort out some 6S for the Revo next time we meet up :P

• Like 2

I can't see a vent hole in the new wheels.

So my question is.....hole in tyre vs hole in wheel vs neither vs both?

I reckon holes in the tyres only would be best. Holes in the wheels tend to let water in and soak the foam. If there are holes in the tyres then the water can be mostly spun out and the foam can still compress.

2 hours ago, Leo Best said:

I reckon holes in the tyres only would be best. Holes in the wheels tend to let water in and soak the foam. If there are holes in the tyres then the water can be mostly spun out and the foam can still compress.

Surely it depends where you bash and on what terrain? I've torn tyres before, I can only imagine there'd be a greater chance of tearing one if there's already a hole in it.