• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Life in the infomation age assignment

KieranBolton

Hello guys, well im reaching out for some help here, i want to improve my work about life in the infomation age, its an ebook and a assignment i have to complete by this week to get the marks... This will be getting me extra marks (Hopefully :rofl: )

Anyway, i would like to ask a couple of you some questions, i dont mind wether the answers are through PM or on here, Either way is good, i just need to show evidance that i have asked a wide veriaty of people over the web :good:

So then, Couple of questions

How has using computers and the internet changed the way you work and the way you perform day to day activities like banking etc.

Do you have dificulty with connection, what type do you use and why, do you use 3G because you cannot get access to internet, or isit because of the economic scale of things :)

also do you think if you had the internet as a child or even computers, you would be better educated do you think?

What was technology like as a child?

What did the computers look like?

When can you remeber buying your first home PC or laptop?

When was the first time you looked on the internet?

You dont have to answer all of the questions if you dont want to :)

Thankyou for your time and i hope everything is okay :) If not give me a shout and ill try rectify it :)

Thanks again :)

Kieran

How has using computers and the internet changed the way you work and the way you perform day to day activities like banking etc. Shop from home, no queing

Do you have dificulty with connection, what type do you use and why, do you use 3G because you cannot get access to internet, or isit because of the economic scale of things 10meg Broadband

also do you think if you had the internet as a child or even computers, you would be better educated do you think? Possibly but more things to spoil my concentration

What was technology like as a child? Basic but expensive

What did the computers look like? Big, Off-white or grey

When can you remeber buying your first home PC or laptop? First computer we had at home was a ZX Spectrum 48k

When was the first time you looked on the internet? 1997-ish

How has using computers and the internet changed the way you work and the way you perform day to day activities like banking etc.

- Made my life much easier, school work has become less of a problem, espically in heavy laden coursework subjects. Creating and typing coursework gets it done a lot quicker and saves time. As for general personal use, finding things out such as contact numbers, address and other such things, I reckon has saved myself a lot of time. I picked up a yellow pages a few times, but often just resorted back to the internet

Do you have dificulty with connection, what type do you use and why, do you use 3G because you cannot get access to internet, or isit because of the economic scale of things

- Hard line, broadband connection. Dont use 3g yet as I cant afford a mobile contract yet, but hope to have it in a few years.

also do you think if you had the internet as a child or even computers, you would be better educated do you think?

- I have grown up with computers, since I was 9. Only really making a change to my life around the age of 11/12 when school work started and needed more thought and detail

great difference to how it used to be, ordering online in ni for things like rc, or just about any hobby you name makes things so much easier than trying to find a shop, and a couple of quid postage is well worth it considering you'd probably need to drive about 20 miles to get what your after. but not everythings changed, 2 prime examples is tobacco and alchohol, you still gotta buy them with cash in a shop. but apart from that i buy literally everything online

Do you have dificulty with connection, what type do you use and why, do you use 3G because you cannot get access to internet, or isit because of the economic scale of things :)

never really have connection difficulties these days, although my laptop is a bit on the slow side and doesnt like some sites [but thats not actually the connection]. thing is, there's a chap i know who doesnt have internet, and he seems to not have suffered from it, its like all these things you only think you cant live without it when you have it.

well definatly using the internet and chatrooms has broadened my mind and taught me to type at a respectable rate, considering how much computers are used in todays society its something that you really need to have.

bad graphics in actually rather playable games, although i was 14 before i was ever allowed a playstation or any other games console. through my life i've went from 1 computer and 1 tv in the whole house with no internet to about 5 or 6 computers in a house with only 3 people living in it, and thats before we even think about things like wireless routers, games consoles, tv's, freeview boxes, printers, phones etc etc.

the first computer i remember was just a grey boxy version of any normal 'tower' pc. but currently i run a hp laptop doing exactly the same job, difference is now i can actually put my feet under the desk because there's nothing there.

i never bought mine, my first computer [ie not shared one] was the old house computer when my step dad moved in and brought his, since then my parents bought me a laptop for doing my gcse's and between brand new computers and old work computers [step dad works in it] we've accumulated a few.

i honestly cant remember, but i think it was on holiday to see my grandparents, like old people everywhere [sorry, its a generalisation but its true in this respect] they dont understand modern technology and end up inadvertantly buying really good kit, in fact theyre current pc is quite possibly the best i've seen.

has not really changed much for myself, i still use the old ways ( cash )

Do you have dificulty with connection, what type do you use and why, do you use 3G because you cannot get access to internet, or isit because of the economic scale of things

i run a ADSL line to a router, then via a cat5 . the quickest way is via wire.

i dont use 3g/wifi my mobile phone is a music device and a video/camera only

I doubt it very much.

we had abacus then came electronic caculators

IBM pet and BBC micro's, 2kb memory etc etc. about 10,000 times slower than todays current modern computers

sinclair spectrum zx81 and horrace and the spiders, then i gained an atari 2600

early 80's via bulletin boards for games (pirates) and code kinda like a fridge reminder note pad but over a phoneline and a 56k modem

- I remember my first gaming console to be 8bit - something I was in awe of at the time. Video (VHS) Player had a lead on the remote control, camcorders were Huge!, mobile phones were also brick like & would only allow calls. Everything to do with technology back then seemed as was big and bulky.

- Dragon 32 was the first computer I ever saw

- Laptop, 3 years ago aged 30 :whistling:

-Probably after the year 2001

Hello guys, well im reaching out for some help here, i want to improve my work about life in the infomation age, its an ebook and a assignment i have to complete by this week to get the marks... This will be getting me extra marks (Hopefully :rofl: )

Anyway, i would like to ask a couple of you some questions, i dont mind wether the answers are through PM or on here, Either way is good, i just need to show evidance that i have asked a wide veriaty of people over the web :good:

So then, Couple of questions

It makes self pleasuring much easier.

No.

I do not use the internet for education, only masturbations. So no.

I do not know

I do not know

I do not know

1 years old.

You dont have to answer all of the questions if you dont want to :)

Thankyou for your time and i hope everything is okay :) If not give me a shout and ill try rectify it :)

Thanks again :)

Kieran

• Like 1

How has using computers and the internet changed the way you work and the way you perform day to day activities like banking etc?

I use internet banking and internet shopping almost everyday, mainly as my bank has an hour long queue attached.

I live in a field, so speed is an issue, and dont have the likes of adsl2 and fibre optics :(

proper windows based pcs were just coming into schools when i was there, before that it was aging amstrad and very old apple computers ^_^

Nintendo gameboy and sega master system!!!

a bit like midi systems do now, with the monitor sat on the top

my dad brought me a machintosh home from work, but the screen broke in transit :( i was given bits at about 7 or 8 and my dad and i built it, remember getting excited over windows 95! and when games came on floppys!

I bought my first laptop at 16 and built my gaming rig at 18

ummm, early 90's at school, good old dial up tone :lol: got the internet at home at in about 1998.

got broadband at home in 2005, as it wasnt avalable in my village when it was first rolled out due to signalling issues :closedeyes:

Don't know how to do fancy answers underneath each question so in order: No 1, don't know how or want to, No 2, No, don't even know what 3G is, No3, Home computers were just coming out when i was a kid ( way too much to buy, only for those with money) and i remember my secondary school getting one, pushed about on a trolley like a dalek! We had an assembly so everyone could see it but only those in the top maths group got to use it, i was in the bottom so fed the school chickens! No 4, Beta videos and binatone games consoles, also a black and white telly. No 5, BIG, No 6, About 2 years ago, sister in law gave us her old work one. No 7, First time on the net was when i joined this site, last October i think. You young uns don't know how easy you got it nowadays,all we had to eat was cold gravel etc, etc, etc :rofl:

Kieran

Computers have changed the way that I function at work a massive amount over the last 10 years, from having to do paper based design drawings to now using state of the art 3d solid modelling and virtual prototyping software. Also design verification is simpler, less tedious calculations and more reliance on finite element packages for stress and strain analyses, but this is not without risk as errors are harder to spot and can have massive consequences!

My home use of computers has increased massively over the last 10 years also, I now use internet banking, internet shopping, online conferencing and university tutorials ( still studying, just finishing a masters in engineering), my entire house has Wi-Fi coverage and I use wireless printers and file storage as well as streaming music and video.

As mentioned above I have an unlimited broadband connection at home, but use a 3g connection on my laptop when out on site, just for the convenience of always having a connection when needed.

Internet had not being thought about when I was a lad, we had 2 bbc b micros at the high school, I don't think better educated is the right term to use, educated in different things maybe. We had more time to learn life skills and go out with your mates without having to worry about the things that we read about in the news. I have 3 lads growing up myself now, all in high school; they all make full use of technology with the internet, Xbox, iPods smartphones etc.

Big Track and BBC model B Micros and later on commodore C16 or +4 were the height of technology when I was in my early teens. I remember remote controls coming into fashion for the tv, and trimphones you were posh or well off if your parents had them!

Very different to the boxes we all have nowadays, everything was separate such as 5.25" disk drives, no internal hard drives and only a few kb of ram. The simple games were still as addictive and more playable (in my opinion!) than some of today's top offerings.

I bought my first computer in about 1984/5 it was a commodore +4, it was great as you didn't need a monitor, you could use your television (parents tv of course!)

The first time I had the internet my self was in 1993, I had just set up my own business and bought a top of the range olivetti pc, it had 200mb hard disk, windows 3.1 and and 4mb of ram. This was state of the art at the time s it had a 66mhz processor and an internal modem. The internet was mainly text based then, with very limited graphics and was very slow. It cost a fortune as well, it was costing me about £30 a month back then which was a lot of money for 16kb/s max line speed.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bs2236