• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Just been on a conceled space course

daz c

Hi I have just been on a 2 day course at the mine rescue centre. The course was excellent but we had to watch some horrible vids and pics. You just dont realise how easy you can end up dead. There was a vid of a welder and a bit of hot metal had dropped on oxi pipe. The lad had just finished the job and put his gun down which wasnt lit but was hot enough to ignite the oxygen. It exploded and blew his head clean off his shoulders poor soul.

There were also lots of other grusome things that you would not beleve could happen but they do.

I am in the construction trade and it realy made me think as I have had a few close calls in the past but didnt apreciate how lucky I was.

daz

Hi I have just been on a 2 day course at the mine rescue centre. The course was excellent but we had to watch some horrible vids and pics. You just dont realise how easy you can end up dead. There was a vid of a welder and a bit of hot metal had dropped on oxi pipe. The lad had just finished the job and put his gun down which wasnt lit but was hot enough to ignite the oxygen. It exploded and blew his head clean off his shoulders poor soul.

There were also lots of other grusome things that you would not beleve could happen but they do.

I am in the construction trade and it realy made me think as I have had a few close calls in the past but didnt apreciate how lucky I was.

daz

Did you do the training with the BA set on in the tunnels? We had to do that and they made us climb round and round until you ran out of air, just so you experienced the sensation of running out of air - not a pleasant experience ans certainly one you won't forget!

Had a few close calls myself over the years,

Sometimes i think back and think how close they actually were and realise that if i count with my fingers i can almost fill up a hand with the ammount of times ive been inches away from Life changing Injury or Death..

Saw a guy get killed with a Grinder once.. He was chasing out inbetween bricks for Lead Flashings and stuck multiple blades on his grinder..

Was a Stupid thing to do, and was certainly his own fault and he paid with his life. didnt deserve it though.

Did you do the training with the BA set on in the tunnels? We had to do that and they made us climb round and round until you ran out of air, just so you experienced the sensation of running out of air - not a pleasant experience ans certainly one you won't forget!

We didnt have to wear the BA in the tunnels but they made us crawl for about 100 mtrs through pipes and under and over things with no lights on . We couldnt see a thing it was like being blind but I enjoyed it lol.

daz

We had the BA"s on in a smoke filled mock up ship,but somone in there got behind us and turned them off, all to make sure our hand knew were to go for the backup valves..:o

Edited by ibo

We had the BA"s on in a smoke filled mock up ship,but somone in there got behind us and turned them off, all to make sure our hand knew were to go for the backup valves..:o

Did your hand know what to do then:D Cheers for the camera mate it is mint and thanks for the card you are to kind bud:good: :good: :good:

You carry on bud and I will be growing a pair of wings:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

PS yes the hand did,it was drumned into us for over 4 hours in the lecture room...:rofl:

Edited by ibo

I wear BA most days at work, I've had some very scary moments but you totally trust the gear your in! There's one drill we do were we do a crawl through a 30 meter tube in smoke then it collapses and your stuck fast with nowhere to go!! First time I proper shat myself but now it's funny when I get to send the probies in :-)

i was once using a grinding stone, shaping some stainless, when it gripped, ripped the metal out my hands, went around the back of the grinder and threw it back out at my face like a ball thrower.

luckily moments before i was messing about and put on a full face shield pretending i was darth vader to my mate as you do :whistling: the shield shattered but luckily protected my face ^_^

havnt learnt my lesson though :lol: was using a dremel earlier to cut something and the grinder blade shattered when i was leaning directly over it :ph34r: didnt enjoy picking bits of grinder out of my face, lip and finger :lol:

i was once using a grinding stone, shaping some stainless, when it gripped, ripped the metal out my hands, went around the back of the grinder and threw it back out at my face like a ball thrower.

luckily moments before i was messing about and put on a full face shield pretending i was darth vader to my mate as you do :whistling: the shield shattered but luckily protected my face ^_^

havnt learnt my lesson though :lol: was using a dremel earlier to cut something and the grinder blade shattered when i was leaning directly over it :ph34r: didnt enjoy picking bits of grinder out of my face, lip and finger :lol:

"Owoooooooooooch"

Now I wouldnt have even thought about my dremel hurting me but I am defo fetching some goggles home from work now lol.

daz

Lol, When i use a dremell i put on some glasses or something. Saw a mate of mine once ( also into rc s) at our local field. He was flying his heli when something hit it and the carbon fiber blades shattered and it fell to the ground. He was picking up the pieces ( they were verry sharp) when one went right through the skin imbertween his thumb and index finger. Anyway :back2topic:. I did somethings simular when i was in air cadets. Had to climb through a thin pipe covered in mud at a 30 degree angle as they poured icey water down it, in the middel of january. What do you guys work as? Useing BA at work ?

You have to think that the world is not a happy and joyful environment that when bad things happen you stay in one peice and pass away peacefully. I have seen some grusome stuff especially aswell that as I am doing an aerospace engineering course, me and my group were shown a picture of when an engineer was doing an engine test on a B737, for some reason he stepped out of the safe zone underneathe the engine and got sucked right into the intake. I could show you a link to the picture of the aftermath on here but I dont know if it would go against any 'rules' on the forum.

Anyway, its always best to think about what COULD happen and that if you play it safely in a working environment then you and everyone around you can stay in one piece. ;)

Few weeks ago a bloke cutting trees somehow managed to cut his head off with a chainsaw :o

Didn't believe it at first.I heard and saw the air ambulance land.People was saying hes cut hes head off but i thought yeah alright.You know how people exaggerate.But it was in the local paper and news! poor sod what a way to go.