• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Why would you !

CHUNKERLUV

A single lipo may last 45mins in a 1/10 firestorm but not a big 1/8th-1/6th. the guys that used to run brushless 1/10 turned to nitro becuse it was tougher and less fun

A single lipo may last 45mins in a 1/10 firestorm but not a big 1/8th-1/6th. the guys that used to run brushless 1/10 turned to nitro becuse it was tougher and less fun

because it was tougher and LESS fun???

I'm really starting to make myself unpopular on this forum, but I hope everyone can see what I'm doing by just creating debate...however...yes I've seen 1/5th and 1/6th I owned a GV rambo for about a week until I realised it was crap. The speed isn't an issue its the versatility, an nitro buggy for example can do 30ft jumps and go 45mph for a smidgin of the cost. and if size is a biggy the LST XXL is huge durable and cheap and nitro isn't that hard guys...we strip our cars day in day out surely we can turn 2 screws to make them run better !!

Im not sure which nitro cars your referring to but most if not all will not do 45mph out of the box with a stock engine. Unless someone can prove me wrong of course with results.

And if you have/seen an "1/8th" scale car the same size as most 1/5th scales, then its not 1/8th is it? :P

I had a 1.5inch Innovative Rc extended hpi savage with SPI rims and it didnt go near the size of my old MCD.

The Baja i have now is Longer than the MCD...

This video may be pointless but it proves they can go high, and by the looks of it a stock V1 baja :good:

Sure he broke it after, but throw your nitro that high non stop and im sure you will brake something.

The wheel came off yea,but that was just an e-clip (someone hasnt done the mod yet :whistling: )

Nitro Tuning, Yes it can be difficult depending on the engine you have. But i learned the hard way too ;)

I had several Stock Hpi engines that came in cars and they were a pain to tune and keep going at times, but its not the case all the time, When i built my custom savage a while ago I installed a Stock picco p3 .28 monster that i bought from wheelspin into my savage (because those guys over at HPISF are big on this engine) And let me tell you! Yes the break-in is tedious (simply because it took about 4litres) But that to me screams quality and it damn sure was :good: I could set the needles and run it that way for the next 1-2months, temps were always the same, same performance. Wasnt a pain like those Hpi stockers. Just goes to show quality counts, but like everything at a cost.

Im working on a baja project right now which should be good once its finished (consider its merlins old yamafied engine :lol:)

only watched the first 1min but p1ssed myself...it jumped, it broke, its funny. No rtr buggy would do 45mph without a gear change or a posh italian engine still cheaper than petrol !!! the way I see it is

only watched the first 1min but p1ssed myself...it jumped, it broke, its funny. No rtr buggy would do 45mph without a gear change or a posh italian engine still cheaper than petrol !!! the way I see it is

watched the rest of the vid...jumps with easy landing it lasts 4mins, not proof. Jesus if you jumped a nitro like that you could jump it for the rest of its life...those Hong Kong engineers would never make a penny on replacements would they. WRT nitro fuel 5ltr's will last a good bash 2-3weeks, its only

watched the rest of the vid...jumps with easy landing it lasts 4mins, not proof. Jesus if you jumped a nitro like that you could jump it for the rest of its life...those Hong Kong engineers would never make a penny on replacements would they. WRT nitro fuel 5ltr's will last a good bash 2-3weeks, its only

How do you get through a set of tyres in 5!!! We all love nitro but the group started with petrol and leccy and we welcome all !! It just seems that those who came with petrol and leccy have now shifted to nitro...to me that says something.

Edited by CHUNKERLUV

I prefer the idea/sound etc of nitro than electric. To me offroad electric cars, although awesome I'm sure, seem a bit 'toyish' to me. And I say that with the utmost respect. With the grief I've had with my two nitros and no grief at all with my Lunchbox I often wish I'd stuck with electric!

As far as the Baja's etc go I don't personally have any interest in them. For me its about recreating those moments of joy you had as a kid in the local carpark on Christmas morning, armed to the teeth with AA's and one of Tandy's latest offerings :D

I have been doing this hobby, Give or take, 28 years, And been around each discipline twice over them years, Electric-Nitro-Petrol-Nitro-Petrol and back to Electric.

There is no doubt that out of the 3 Nitro is the most robust, But it is also the most inconvenient, And to that there can be no argument.

I think they are all much of a muchness money wise when it comes to getting into at the moment, All 3 can be done cheap and be done expensive.

Petrol is cheap for the large scale, But if you drive hard and crash big, It will cost you and parts are not what you would call cheap, Nitro is strong and cheap to get into now, But all them little bits that come with nitro do start to add up, That and the fact if you want to go out it's a military operation getting all the stuff together. Electric has kind of merged the best from each, The ease of running from the large scale, And the robustness from the nitro, They still have there problems, The Brushless tech is still quiet young and it's always niggling away at the back of your head "When will my ESC let go", As the amount of MMM that seem to have gone up in smoke around here lately will testify to.

I was all Nitro probably less than 6 months ago, It's now all gone and replaced or converted to electric, I work like most, And don't get anywhere near as much free time as I would like, But even after years, The amount of times I went out thinking I was all organised and ready to go and found I had forgot my Glow supply, Or starter box, Or fuel, Or I forgot to charge the box, Or I blow a plug and don't have a spare, Or it's one of them days and no matter what I do come rain or high water, It just will not start, And don't try and say that's half the fun of nitro, Cos it ain't no flaming fun at all, It's a wast of my time that I don't get enough of.

I now just charge up the batteries the night before or first thing when I get up, Throw them, The car and controller in the boot and go, Get to the other end, Plug in 2 wires and off I go, Have a bit of quiet time by myself for 2 or 3 hours(I'm happy with that)and then go home, Job done. I don't care what anyone says, It's never that easy with Nitro, It would take a good half hour just to load the car up, And I would still nearly always forget something, And if your bash spot is not by the car you have to lug all that paraphernalia to were you want it, And going home stinking of oil and general nitro car is not proof of a days enjoyment, Cos it rarely was.

Chunker:

I'm guessing you have never seen, been near, or owned a petrol or an electric. As that's the ignorant oppinion your putting across.

While your sat their with a nito pig that won't start because it's too hot/cold/dry/moist/wrong fuel/lean/rich everyone is bashing their electric and petrol around you, by the time you get started everyone else has finished and gone home as they were too bored to wait for you to do anything...

You have more batteries to charge with a nitro (to enjoy it) 2x starter box, glow start, hump pack and transmitter. Where as with an electric conversion that's just 2x car battery and transmitter.

Petrols are just epic, the size the smell and the crazy ground ripping torq just can't be compared to nitro.

So once you actually see one, I will let you keep your niave oppinions as you won't be swayed and take them with a pinch of salt...

• Like 1

Not true, I've got 8000 and 9000 mah lipos that will 'carry' a 1/8 Maxx/Revo for 40 mins, depending on driving style/conditions. Maxamps even offer a 13500 mah lipo! You'd get more than an hour from that capacity, unless you break something of course.

I'm not being ignorant...I started the thread for abit of debate and shared my opinion...and I'm sorry if I've come across as ignorant. By the way I didn't realise lipo's had moved into those capacities, obviously batterys are like PC's they just keep getting better. I've bashed with petrol on lots of occasions to me it just doesn't do it.

EPIC vids bud :lol:

thanks fella all models weatrher nitro elec or petrol have there place and depends on budget where u run and what u like for what i do where i live petrol is way to go nitro to expensive is 45 euro a gallon plus shipping and nitro to fiddle for my bananna fingers . and show me your elec or nitro handle what my baja does . is horses for courses no one type is better

Chunker seems to assume none of us has ever been to a bash!

Whilst in theory a nitro (or petrol) can run for hours on end, they never do. The longest I've seen a nitro run for was the 30 min finals when racing, and even then somebodies engine always died and needed restarting. Whats more, before the finals most racers had to ensure their TX and RX packs were charged up because nitros need electricity too!

At any given bash their is always at least one nitro that won't start, and a cluster of nitro experts standing around trying to figure out why. Their own engines start fine, but this one just doesn't want to. In contrast, petrols and electrics just go.

Electrics can go for some time if you have charging facilities. I've done a 4 hour electric endurance race with 4 lipos and 3 chargers - 1 lipo in the car and the rest recharging. Since the lipos were only