• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DBXL Brushless Conversion.

mond

Looking sweet, run it in this guise yet? 

For those asking, I find 8S more than enough at this scale. Ok, so I haven't any experience beyond 10S, but I'm more than happy with 8 cells. Even my X2 is fine on 8S with a 520kv motor. 

I ran it for 2 minutes to see everything was good, as I also changed all the O rings and gaskets in the diffs. Waiting on some new straps to turn up, the supplied ones are literally unusable with the batteries I have. Also hunting for 4 more spacers so there's less stress on the trays and then I'll move the one near the motor further back. It's way too front heavy.

8S seems good enough.  I was tempted to go to 10S but I have a nice collection of 4S batteries and 10S means looking at ESCs which are way more expensive than the XL2. 

I ran an Alien on 10S, was ok, but since it died for no apparent reason I've stayed on 8S and that's fine. 

I think the DBXL was always front heavy if my memory serves, so yeah, if you can shift some weight to the rear, all the better. 

The Alien arming process seemed pretty scary and the MGM ESC is more than the car. Would be nice if Castle, HW or even someone like Tekin made a 12S capable ESC. Large scale brushless will only get more popular. 

Indeed, especially as they can run in more places. Then we'll all need to wait for the next generation of cells, something with four times the energy density of lipo! Ho yes! Two hour runtimes please! 

12 hours ago, evssv said:

ouch!:o!...after reading through this the Kershaw one is a no go....

I wouldnt' say it's a no go, but I honestly was worried that I'd see allot of wear on the spur and pinion as it didn't align easily and was only held in alignment by friction. It's ok sliding back and forth out of mesh if it happens,  but not at an angle where they meet. Also, that size motor only being held on by two M3 screws looked like weak point. That and the mount flexed and the rear of the motor had no support, so in a big bump, it would flex under the weight of the motor. As designs go, it had flaws. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's still looking pretty much like A4YbS8P.jpg

Except it's got dirty a few times and has been cleaned and is sitting in the spare room on top of a chest of draws for the winter.  Muck off is a wonderful thing.

The only change since then is I added some retaining straps for the pins.

Edited by mond
  • Like 2