• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Racing for beginers (Kit and Location (Wakefield) - advice required

Barry Thomson

Hi all.

I am after some advice on getting into RC car racing.

I've had a wide range of RC cars over the years ranging from 2wd electric tamiya on and off road kits, 1/8th scale 4wd nitro buggies and 1/10th 4wd nitro touring cars. (I'd say non of the cars i currentlty have would be suitable for competative racing - mainly due to most being used for general rc car bashing for many years).

I have never raced but always considered it.

I am looking for advice on:

1) Which racing class is cheepest to get started in (and be competative)?

I have radio gear (transmitter / recivers) and battery charging equipment already.

2) Where would people recomend to go racing around the Wakefield West Yorkshire area?

I know of a few tracks (outdoor nitro buggies mainly) but i feel im leaning more to something that can be run indoors over the winter months so either some sort of electric on or off road.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Barry

First step should be to find a club to race at. If you haven't looked already, go to the BRCA website, or look at the map on the Schumacher website - http://www.racing-cars.com/sitepage/uk_rc_clubs.html

Bear in mind that neither of theses lists are kept completely up to date so it is worth talking to local shops and racers, Facebook is where a lot of club activity happens nowadays.

If you want to run indoors it has to be electric, and that's what the majority of racing is now anyway. I don't think any of the electric indoor classes have to be that expensive, I race Mini's, Touring cars and 2wd bugggies personally and the initial cost of each car is quite similar, but the buggies tend to need more tyres and suffer more breakages.

GT12 would be a great way for you to get into racing, it's relatively cheap and the cars are quite strong, above all, it's fun.

But as advised above, find your local clubs first and find out which classes they run. No point in you buying something which you find out you can't use.

http://www.ygt12r.co.uk/Htm%20Files/calander.htm give these a try I travel there from Shipley and find em to friendly and welcoming  if that's to far I think theres a club in Sheffield

Edited by 2pricey4u

Thanks for the reply guys. Ill go have a look at the one at Sherbern. Do you know if they allow spectators?

I have in the last day heard of the Lodge Raceway some where in Wakefield. There face book site is minimal to say the least so i have messaged them and just waiting for a reply.

Some one has also told me about the Garforth touring car club. I'm yet to start digging on that one.