• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

cutting shell for ventilation nitro

Garry45

Guys

What sort of mods do you do to keep the engine cooler???

Im thinking of cutting a hole in the front screen and maybe the side window.

I also thought of a small computer fan stuck onto the battery box witj a separate power supply and had anyone done that???

I no the cooler weather is coming but more air flow is better right? ??.

Your input would be great and I really dont fancy cutting my shell.

Garry

Not really mate. So long as it's tuned well and runs at the temps it's supposed too you don't need added cooling.

A hot glow plug on cold days and a cold glow plug on hot days. They run better when at full temps.

Some think if they cool them down they can lean the mix more for faster laps but it doesn't work that was as it's cutting fuel flow which cuts lubrication.

So long as your engine is tuned right and not sizzling don't hack your shell either mayb at most do afew small holes on the front window in front of the engine.

Cutting windows can make the shell flimsy.

Thanks for the info and I suppose the mini 12v fan mod ive just done

Falls into that category???

Was going to cut the side windows but I just cant do it and glad I didnt as ive seen the price for a new shell.its got some holes drilled in the screen.

Garry

All nitro shells should have a hole in the front window so as to allow better ventilation, other wise there's minimal movement of air inside the shell.

I have seen on the web some BRAND NEW cars come with a hole on one side of the screen so that must mean they suffer from overheating/airflow issues,

My opinion is that you tune your rc without the shell on so your getting plenty of cooling for the engine but the most important thing for me is airflow into the air filter,

Surely with the shell on it restricts it and would make it run even richer which I no isn't a bad thing due to lack of airflow or am I over thinking it??

As already said mine has drilled holes in the front screen.

Has anyone ever done a air filter mod so it extends out of the shell or have a feed direct to it??.

Just trying to learn as much as I can like yesterday ha ha

And while I'm sitting here thinking of lots of wonderful mods to add I'm not out enjoying my 1st nitro rc and I think that sums it all up.

Garry

Edited by Garry45

I prefer to drill a series of holes in the windscreen rather than cutting out a hole.

Getting a bit of airflow under the shell is useful, but hos essential it is depends on the car. Buggies are more restrictive... but tend to have the cooling head outside the shell anyway.

Most monster trucks have enough space under the shell too...or else have the cooling head sticking up through the rear deck.

Yes ive seen buggies/trucks with the top if the engine either exposed (top part) or close.

I was thinking of drilling the shell directly above the engine for better heat release and a tad mire air flow but I just cant cut my baby ha ha ha.

Might drill a few more holes in the front screen as thats not to bad and from a distance I cant see them.

Anybody else modded there shell for better airflow???

Garry

I have seen on the web some BRAND NEW cars come with a hole on one side of the screen so that must mean they suffer from overheating/airflow issues,

Its most likely to be access for the fuel filler flap. Don't want to be dicking around taking a shell off to refuel half way through a race.

Its most likely to be access for the fuel filler flap. Don't want to be dicking around taking a shell off to refuel half way through a race.

That's what it is for. You will often see a cable tie arrangement added on the filler cap so you can reach in, open the cap, and get a filler bottle in without taking off the shell.

For cooling, a neat pattern of hols in the windscreen and some careful use of actual moulded vents in the shell works for me. In the past, I have also cut out radiator grilles at the front and glued on aluminium mesh inside to get airflow without making a shell ugly.

One thing i ABSOLUTELY HATE is when people butcher a shell with a ragged hole cut in the windscreen that looks like it was chewed out not cut. With a bit of care and thought, it can look neat. Also....avoid sharp corners on any holes you cut. Sharp corners are where cracks can start. Drill the corners and cut out so you have nice curved corners

• Like 1

Sounds like s plan and already have holes drilled into the screen but I do like the idea of the front bumper with mesh behind it.could colour it black as my bumper is black.

Have an air vent molded on top of the shell so im going to carefully cut that out and will mesh that.

Garry

That's what I tend to do :)

Looks a LOT neater. I can get carrier away though... my old MCD had a sticker on the side windows for a roll-net ... so I cut out all the holes between the mesh grid on the sticker. Took ages!

With a shell like the TT Mini, you have a lot of options for the front. Just be careful not to weaken parts of the shell that get scraped on the floor or are right in line for any crash damage. Cut too much away, and the thing can end up cracking.

Black mesh would look nice. Blends in.

Better air flow...better looks.

• Like 1

Defo agree with not cutting to much out as the shell will split with the slightest bump,

Might drill a few more holes in the screen as it only has 6 in the centre and maybe a few in the rear screen so the air can flow through the body,

But i have just fitted a 12v computer fan run buy 2 x 7.2v pp3 rechargable batteries mounted on the battery box and that blows some serious air on the engine,its getting its 1st proper test with the shell on in the morning,no its cooler conditions so better for a hot engine stuck in a plastic shell,

Will try the fan mod out as it would be rude not to :-)

Garry

If you are going to Mod the windshield I would not cut a hole like the Racer's do you see in the mag's it makes them weak as was already stated,I prefer to drill or if you have a reamer just makes big holes across the top of the window shield in a row then do another row below that and stagger and holes and keep going downward staggering the holes until you get to bottom and you'll find the windshield will stay a lot stronger.

• Like 1

Do you actually have a problem with the engine getting too hot?

Or is it currently just in your imagination.

Nitro buggy races will last for up to an hour IIRC with no let up. Don't see many of those guys with extra fans and massively perforated body shells. A properly tuned engine is far easier. And less likely to give you big bills