• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya TB01

tonysmini

As there are always a few people asking what's the best rally chassis out there, I thought I would put together a bit of information about my favourite, Tamiya's TB01.

Derived from Tamiya's Nitro TG10 chassis, what you have are the nitro cars gearboxes mated together with a very tough plastic chassis tub.

IMG_0366_zpsea0ed98b.jpg

IMG_0163_zpscbd5142e.jpg

The front and rear gearboxes have metal gears on the diff rings and on the propshaft pinions, noisy, very tough and able to withstand just about anything powerwise. (I've run a powerfull brushless motors through mine with no worries) The chassis tub is very tough too, able to withstand really big impacts and shrug them off. 

The chassis does weigh a bit more than you think, but I find that when you want to rally the weight helps the tyres dig in rather than the car scrabbling for grip in the dust.

Speaking of dust, the TB01 comes with a great dust covers, a foam strip that seals the steering arms and a which covers the chassis completely and attaches via two strips of velcro. This however means that ventilation can be an issue, especially with a hot motor. I fit a fan onto my motors and the ESC's to keep them cooler with a few vents cut into the covers. yes it's a compromise with the dust proofing but it can't be helped.

The only real faults with the chassis are the steering arms, or more precisely the step screws that the arms pivot on. they wear out quite quickly and the steering ends up very sloppy.  Tamiya do an aluminium steering set that pivots the arms on 850 bearings, much more precise, or asia tees do a delrin set, not had a chance to try these yet but I do have some on order.

The plastic motor mount can be replaced with an alloy version, as far as I know only Tamiya do one. This is vital if you plan on running a powerful motor, especially a brushless one as the plastic ones can warp ruining the mesh and destroying the spur gear.

As far as it goes, these are the only essential hop up's you need, the chassis came with bearings, but a replacement set from RCBearings are about

Edited by tonysmini
  • Like 2

As far as running gear, I tend to use a 21-23t brushed motor, or a brushless in the 3000-4000kv range (17.5-13.5/12.5 range). A steel pinion is a must as with any Tamiya kit, and I've been using Alturn MG servos lately with either Tamiya high torque servo savers or small Kimborouh ones. The stock savers get sloppy very quickly.

The battery tray is designed for round case stick packs, but 15 minutes with a Dremmel and it's ready for a square hard case Lipo.

The first few runs I do without a body on so I can whip off the dust cover to check temps, and if it's really wet I tape over the vent under the motor and be extra careful with the throttle.

Sticky AW grease in the diffs give it a semi limited slip effect, don't fill them with grease as this does nothing for them except add weight.

Stock shocks are okay, if a bit crude but adjustments here are more of a personal thing. I like soft springs with firm damping and a bit of droop on the suspension but that's just me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Personal preference, I use moly grease from Halfords bike shop in the front diffs and Tamiya anti wear grease in the backs as it's a little bit stickier and gives a slight limited slip diff effect.

Hi all. Some advise please. I've just purchased my first rc, a tb01 Focus much like 'tonysminis'. The shell is Knackered so have bought a hpi 190mm lancer evo6 body shell assuming this would fit nicely but it doesn't - the wheel span is swallowed by the arches, can you get spacers to increase the overall width of car/ Wider wheels maybe? help.

You can get wider shafts and hexes, they were a hop up for TL01's I think, or wider offset wheels. I'll find the part numbers when I get in.

6mm offset wheels should fill the arches on touring car tyres, or 3mm if you plan on using rally blocks.

Edited by tonysmini

For Tarmac yes, if your planning loose stuff and short grass then 23-20t pinion, I keep spares from 17 up to 25 and choose the one most appropriate to the car. (I have four TB01's currently, one brushless hopped up Gymkana, one general basher, one off roader and one I tried to use as a drifter but it's a display chassis for a Colin McRae 97 Scooby shell now.)

They are a heavy car so just keep an eye on the motor temps.

Edited by tonysmini

The Tamiya one is the only one I'm afraid. As far as I know no-one else has ever made one.

You can get away with two of the grey motor spacers if you are sticking with the plastic mount and brushed motors, this helps keep the heat away from the motor mount as much as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello rally tb-01 community.

I also got from ebay a month ago a nice focus tb-01. I could never believe that it is such a nice car and so robust. I bought it just to have something to do in my limited spare time but i am falling for this little brick.

So although I have promised that I will not put any hopups...

I ve put the long arms suspension kit, the alloy motor mount, universals at the front, stabilisers, ball diff and TRF shocks (purchased from stores across the EU lol).

Regarding the electronics I brought from home my LRP drift brushless with my Nosram matrix power esc and my trusty Futaba 3pmx.

Since my beloved focus was so badly painted but repairable and in very good condition (even the stickers have been placed above the protective film) I ordered the wrx 08 arai version (photos in the following days)

Sorry for the long post

Edited by Bellof

Hi Guys,

Certain circumstances have come for me to think about selling my tb-01, its brand new (not boxed) only parts that have been put together are the front & rear assemblies.

I also have another tb-01 chassis that is fully working but has been used somewhat.

So anybody thinking of getting one or wanting another pm me..

Cheers