• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The evolution of DreXeL's Savage...

DreXeL

Just thought I'd start a thread keeping the progress of my Savvy in one place. It started out just over a year a go as a near-standard and great condition 3.5 that I found in a local free ad paper for a decent price of

Edited by DreXeL

those irc shocks are awesome, i just have standard lst2's on mine. to be hnest i dont think fuel tubing will stretch to 8mm anyway so flipping the arms is rally all you can do other than limiting cables. id worry slightly about the mounting blocks being exposed but they should take the beating.

Nice truck :thumbsup:

Alza Racing bulkhead brace kit arrived today:

IMAG0144.jpg

Installed:

IMAG0148.jpg

Awesome quality, they are very thick and the hinge pins are enclosed at both ends so no chance of lost pins. Well worth the outlay :)

Has Looked and is looking really good buddy. I've still not been able to use my savage since going to irc extended tvps, I can't get the throttle linkage to work now. I know if I could get the ofna throttle mod it would work fine but I can't find the parts any where :-(

How did you mount that spoiler on there chap? I'd love to mount a spoiler on mine but again, the mod kit that was recommended was being made in 2007-2008 and I can't find the parts any where.

So sad, my savage went back in its original box and I can't fore see a time it will come out again because of the stupid b****y throttle linkage. Sad for my savage :-( it was only ever used 3 times from brand new :-(

That's a real shame, what's the actual problem with the throttle linkage?

As for the wing, it's a Hyper 9 one-piece wing, like this:

lofnc0601.jpg

It was simple to fit, I simply twisted the bottom mounting points of the wing around and screwed them to the shock mounting points on the shock tower. Mine needed trimming to clear the IRC shock brace, but that wouldn't be necessary on a stock savage. Here's a pic:

IMAG0143.jpg

It was only ever meant to be temporary to see how it looks but amazingly it has held up to a fair bit of abuse. The plastic used on the wing is very flexible so it just flexes back if it's hit. There are better ways of fitting a wing to a Savage, namely attaching an aluminium plate to the rear shock tower, then screwing a truggy wing mount to it, but mine has held up so far so until it breaks I'll leave it be :D

I think Il go with a similar setup to yours if that's ok bud? I have irc shocks and mounts too but mine are black.

As for the throttle linkage I'm really not 100% what's stopping it from working. I know the tvps are wider than stock so some of the linkage parts were rubbing on the roll cage (I fitted the stock plastic roll cage, I now have an ally handle though so no more rubbing) but for some reason the carb won't open finder the strength of the servo even though its an upgraded high torque servo. Il,post a vid up soon to show you what I mean. It drove me mad so I gave up. Poor savage for I knew him well.... What?? Lol

Edited by madMARTYNmarsh

I think Il go with a similar setup to yours if that's ok bud?

Of course it's OK :good:

• 1 month later...

Very nice project which has come a long way. I like it with the SC shell on tbh and the Big Joes.

Those shocks are HUGE lol, never have to worry about them again.

Keep up the good work and i look forward to seeing pictures with the ZR .32 fitted :).

Good Luck.

Thanks.

Edited by DazzaClio

• 2 weeks later...

This arrived today, and I didn't get stung for import fees :topbanana:

IMAG0240Medium.jpg

All in all I saved about

Edited by DreXeL

• 2 weeks later...

I think Il go with a similar setup to yours if that's ok bud? I have irc shocks and mounts too but mine are black.

As for the throttle linkage I'm really not 100% what's stopping it from working. I know the tvps are wider than stock so some of the linkage parts were rubbing on the roll cage (I fitted the stock plastic roll cage, I now have an ally handle though so no more rubbing) but for some reason the carb won't open finder the strength of the servo even though its an upgraded high torque servo. Il,post a vid up soon to show you what I mean. It drove me mad so I gave up. Poor savage for I knew him well.... What?? Lol

had a similar problem with mine. but thankfully its quite an easy fix.

just loosen the carb screw and swivel the car round so its at a better angle to the servo. just so its more or less parallel.

Haha, it's a bit cleaner now so I'll put some fresh pics up later.

I'm almost finished running in now, and I can already tell what an absolute beast the engine is going to be....

The engine is great, can't wait to start tuning it to see what it can really do...

The paint was just metallic Tamiya polycarb paint. I found it an absolute sod to paint with, it runs loads more than normal 'solid' colours. Having said that, it's probably fine if you have better painting skills than my trained chimp style technique :D

Still attached amazingly :/ I haven't had to repair it or anything, it just flexes and bounces back.

Engine is fully run-in now, I've started tuning it and it is an utter beast :eek:

It has similar characteristics to the .30, but it's like it has been turned up a few notches :D

Edited by DreXeL

Did some more tuning this afternoon, it's pretty much there now, just leaving it a bit on the rich side for the next tank or so. The engine has unbelievable power and torque, so much so that it did this to one of the tyres:

DSCF2367Medium.jpg

DSCF2368Medium.jpg

Yeah, it's got a bit of poke :whistling:

It feels a little under-geared though, I'm currently on 17/49, I've ordered a 47t spur which will suit it more. Took a few more pics when I got home:

DSCF2370Medium.jpg

DSCF2369Medium.jpg

I also took some pictures of the shock-tower braces I installed:

DSCF2373Medium.jpg

DSCF2371Medium.jpg

DSCF2372Medium.jpg

The reason for this is the IRC shocks were causing the shock towers to be permanently bent under the strain due to the way they are mounted, the braces help a hell of a lot and the front and rear ends feel much more solid with them fitted. They are pretty self explanatory, they are simply turnbuckles screwed to the shock towers, then screwed to the TVPs the other end.

Edited by DreXeL

i think i may steal that tower brace idea, mine are starting to bend due to the irc mounts too. standard gearing for a savage x is 47/17 and that pops wheelies all day with a .28 so you may want to go higher with the bell.

ad did it seriously throw the foam out of that tiny hole?

Yeah the bracing is well worth doing :)

Mine doesn't actually wheelie much anyway thanks to the fact that it weighs the same as a small planet, LCG chassis and lots of preload at the rear. It also sits quite low thanks to my flipped lower suspension arms.

I can't see where else the foam could have popped out from, only other possible exit point is a small 50-60mm portion where the tyre has come un-glued :/

Edited by DreXeL

if it came through that hole, it reminds me of explosive decompression and yours cant be much heavier than mine. i have a 5mm thick flm lcg chassis and 250cc of fuel onboard with full tanks, and mine wheelies if i want it to even with a smaller engine than you.

i think it must have came through the unglued section to be honest

Edited by sickass_smithy