• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

120a combo for losi 8t

scotty1986

right ll i just took the 120a turnigy trackstar combo out my 8t as for the life in me couldnt mange set the brakes and was told the motor would run to warm anyway,, im looking for a 120a system as if i buy 150a my batterys wont have the juice for it as they only kick 120a 

anyway can anyone recommend a 120a esc and motor combo for my 8t under

because the turnigy system will run to warm and i cant seem to set the brakes ,, im just on a budget at the mo     (well always on a budget 4 kids, wife,, dog ,, house,, car,, not a high enough paid job and a trip to legoland on friday)     lol so just want a system that i can use the batterys i already have in,, im not looking for double backflips off the line or a 100mph 8t just something with the same power as my stock hong nor lx2e buggy and ill be happy i only bash and take the odd trip to the track

I`m fairly new to brushless my self but from what i understand its all to do with size and weight between the truggy and the buggy mate the fact that the truggy also runs different gearing and size of wheels ect.

I have a brushless 8ight and a brushless hong nor truggy and they both run 150A hobbywing ESC and 2200 or 2250 motors and the temps are fine and they last a 20 minuet final but only at 85% throttle

My 8ight is running 16/45 gearing

Another thing you need to look at is your batteries bud you really need around 60c minimum i run 4s 120c nano`s in mine and the batteries are fine.

Another thing you need to look at is your batteries bud you really need around 60c minimum i run 4s 120c nano`s in mine and the batteries are fine.

Are you sure? That's not how I read it. The sum in the leccy section guide says mah/1000 x c rating. I guess it depends on what mah battery you're running but my 5000mah 30c should kick out 150a. Go up to 40c and you should be well clear for a 150a esc. If I have it right?

On my 120sc8 & leopard 2650kv setup everything runs mildly warm, motor is the warmest but I can still keep my fingers on it.

Edited by Smoothybb

40c Lipos should be fun in a truggy but running a buggy motor 2650kv is not ideal,  as the motor does not really provide the torque needed.   If you are planning just to run 4S lipos then ideally you want something in the 2000kv to 2200kv range.  If running 5/6S lipos you want something in the 1800kv to 1500kv depending on gearing.  Rule of thumb is volt up gear down.

Are you sure? That's not how I read it. The sum in the leccy section guide says mah/1000 x c rating. I guess it depends on what mah battery you're running but my 5000mah 30c should kick out 150a. Go up to 40c and you should be well clear for a 150a esc. If I have it right?

On my 120sc8 & leopard 2650kv setup everything runs mildly warm, motor is the warmest but I can still keep my fingers on it.

You got it right but it's always best for the LiPos to provide more than is needed, they seem to run nicer and cooler.

I've found anyway, I run 5.0 35-70C on a 150a system and it runs awesome.

Also if funds are tight, sell your current combo and LiPos if it's not working out and just save a bit.

Cutting corners will only have the same result bud.

not trying to cut corners mate ,, just i have a brushless buggy and have 4x 4s batterys for it so no point in selling the lipos,,  could i run something like a 120a hobbywing esc and 1900kv motor so the motors tourqe would make up for the 120a esc??

ive just put the system out the hong nor lx2e buggy in the truggy ,, (hobbywing 120a esc 2100kv leopard motor with punch and timing turned up as it was set in the buggy) and it ran sweet although the motor did get warm ,, wasnt scolding hot to the point i couldnt hold it it was pretty warm to the touch,, buti could hold my fingers on it for as long i wanted ,,

would a slightly lower kv run cooler??

Edited by scotty1986

You got it right but it's always best for the LiPos to provide more than is needed, they seem to run nicer and cooler.

I've found anyway, I run 5.0 35-70C on a 150a system and it runs awesome.

Also if funds are tight, sell your current combo and LiPos if it's not working out and just save a bit.

Cutting corners will only have the same result bud.

Don't disagree, I was just commenting on the minimum 60c comment. I don't think that's really necessary unless using small mah batts?

Don't disagree, I was just commenting on the minimum 60c comment. I don't think that's really necessary unless using small mah batts?

I wouldn't say a minimum of 60C personally, but different people run different things.

I think as long as the LiPo can provide more than is necessary, that's enough, anything higher just shortens the run times :lol: not by much but over the course of a day it would be noticable.

oho if your not even going to bother trying to answer my questions then please dont comment ,, if i wanted to run a 150a esc i would be asking about a 150a esc,, i just want to know what motor and pinion i could run in my 8t with a 120a esc with a 45t spur ,, without anything getting to hot ,, thanks to those who have answered me with sensible answers relevant to the questions im asking

Ideally for any 1/8th scale imo I would have a 150a ESC, whether its for 4S or more.  I like to have the option to go 5S or 6S lipos for when I have my mad moments,   But a 120A esc is capable to run it on 4S but seems bad practice to me as you are on the limit of that esc.

edit:  I've had my 8T for near 4 years now and its still the best RC I have owned with a few mods.

Edited by cyronn