• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder's Baja Build - Blake

Thunderwolf

ok, for the third time.....another baja thread from me.

few people now know that i bought a large job lot of parts from feedtheinferno.

i also bought a small job lot from someone else who i now can't remember the username of.

and well, pictures will explain.

DSC08399.jpg

DSC08383.jpg

DSC08390.jpg

ok so back ground:

sheila was the first baja, bought as a rtr model and upgraded what ever part broke, she is also the oldest car in my fleet.

ruby is baja 2 and also not totaly finished yet, but she was built up using new parts (mostly) using upgraded parts that i've found work on sheila right from the off, to keep her different she is made to be brushless, or will be when i'm done.

blake here is going to be the same sort of deal, only difference is not all the parts will be new, specificly the main aim is to get any stock part as cheap as i can, also going to do something to make her abit different, but thats not until way in the future.

ok so obviously not all these parts are needed, the suspention arms for example, i only need 2 of each not 4, 6, or 7 of them, like wise with parts i will infact be using an upgrade option instead of stock, you get the idea.

so for now the first step will be to put the parts that i don't want into a sale thread and/or ebay, the money from which will go into buying the parts i do need, starting with the front and working my way to the rear...in theory.

for the ones wondering, the parts are a mix of hpi, km and upgrades, long as it works it doesn't really matter in this case.

i am currently looking into what capasity to sell the items aswell as checking ebay and the forum for parts i can use. i'm expecting the upgrades to be more new than 2nd hand due to their following and strength, but thats cool, just makes it a nice long project to work on when i can, i got 2 so it not like i'll miss out.

i think the covers everything you need to know...if you wanted to anyway.

Added: 27/02/2014

Updated: 14/03/2014

List of parts:

Have - Need

Front Bulkhead - Front Bulkhead Support - Front Arm Brace - Front Upper Brace - Front Upper Plate - Front Shock Tower - Front Shock Tower Support - Front Shock Brace - Front Lower Arms - Front Lower Brace - Hinge Pins - Front Upper Arms - Front Hubs - Front Axles - Steering Assembly - Front Turnbuckles - Steering Servo - Radio Box - Throttle Servo - Battery - Receiver - Steering Servo Linkage - Front Chassis - Chassis - Brace - Front Bumper - Tank Brace - Fuel Tank - Fuel Cap - Fuel Lines - Rear Bulk Head - Rear Chassis - Rear Lower Brace A - Rear Lower Arms - Rear Lower Brace B - Rear Hubs - Outdrives/Rear Axles - Wheel Hexes - Rear Hub Carriers - Differential - Lay Shaft - Drive Gear - Idler Gear - Gearbox - Brake Hex - Drive Shafts - Rear Shock Towers - Rear Shock Tower Supports - Rear Upper Arms - Rear Bumper - Rear Upper Plate - Brake Disks - Engine + Exhaust - Clutch System - Brake Pads - Brake Mount - Brake Cam - Spur Gear - Spur Dampers - Spur Carrier - Gear Cover - Throttle/Brake Linkage - Roll Cage - Shocks - Rear Shock Brace - Wheels - Beadlocks - Tyres - Wheel Foams - Shell - Body Mounts

Edited by Thunderwolf
  • Like 3

Awesome, always love a build thread. Subscribed! 

Blake's going to be brushless or a petrol head? 

she will be engined.

i probably should have mentioned i've had blake planned out for several months now, i also have plans on 2 other baja designs/set ups i'd like to do, but space is the limiting factor

(also on the first post)

List of parts:

Have - Need

Front Bulkhead - Front Bulkhead Support - Front Arm Brace - Front Upper Brace - Front Upper Plate - Front Shock Tower - Front Shock - Tower Support - Front Shock Brace - Front Lower Arms - Hinge Pins - Front Upper Arms - Front Hubs - Front Axles - Steering Assembly - Front Turnbuckles - Steering Servo - Radio Box - Throttle Servo - Battery - Receiver - Steering Servo Linkage - Front Chassis - Chassis - Brace - Front Bumper - Tank Brace - Fuel Tank - Fuel Cap - Fuel Lines - Rear Bulk Head - Rear Chassis - Rear Lower Brace A - Rear Lower Arms - Rear Lower Brace B - Rear Hubs - Outdrives/Rear Axles - Wheel Hexes - Rear Hub Carriers - Differential - Lay Shaft - Drive Gear - Idler Gear - Gearbox - Brake Hex - Drive Shafts - Rear Shock Towers - Rear Shock Tower Supports - Rear Upper Arms - Rear Bumper - Rear Upper Plate - Brake Disks - Engine + Exhaust - Clutch System - Brake Pads - Brake Mount - Brake Cam - Spur Gear - Spur Dampers - Spur Carrier - Gear Cover - Throttle/Brake Linkage - Roll Cage - Shocks - Rear Shock Brace - Wheels - Beadlocks - Tyres - Wheel Foams - Shell - Body Mounts

Edited by Thunderwolf

ok well bought another small job lot on ebay which has afew more stock parts i need.

main aim right now is to be buying the cheap stock parts for this before getting the hop ups i want.

here is the parts i have already and keeping for the build

DSC08409.jpg

the turtle racing front plate is the 5t version, which is good as i'm not having another buggy, i also bought most of a conversion which will deal with the change of mounts but it has got some bits missing, not a big deal but i'll have to get them at some point.

i will be making a list for a wanted thread later today as i have bits missing, for example i have most of the steering minus 3 or 4 parts.

of the stock parts the main one is the gearbox and gears aswell as the diff, thats where the list above and in the first post comes in, by no means for anyone's benefit other than my own, but once i  get the parts i'll turn them green so i know i have them without having to search through each time i go to buy a new part, as another example, although i do have bits of the steering set up i won't turn it green on the list until i have all the parts for it.

on top of that you may notice the orange bits on the shocks which brings me to how i'm going to build it, some of the parts i want will no doubt be the wrong colour, like the shocks, so i'm going to be waiting until i have all the parts i want, then any parts the wrong colour will be deannodised before i build the car.

Edited by Thunderwolf

I'll have a dig on Monday (out tomorrow), I know I've got some spare hexes and some other bits you've got listed as needed.

nice.

anything in black text are what i'm after but alot of them parts i'm looking at upgrades rather than stock, like the chassis for example

hang on..you have a male RC ?  :whistling:

yea i realised this is also a male name.

but as it based ona character from the same web show as ruby is, blake = female in this case lol

i just know this will now annoy me and i'll end up changing it like i did with ruby (previously skarlet)

Edited by Thunderwolf

nice.

anything in black text are what i'm after but alot of them parts i'm looking at upgrades rather than stock, like the chassis for example

I think some are HPI.. I know the hexes are, but think I have some I-RC brake components that I won't be using, most of it is new in the packet, as is the other stuff, it's not got a mark on it.

I should be receiving the last of the bits I bought on Monday, at least as far as the diff and things go, so it will son be time to strip mine down and rebuild this other with some of her parts, once that is done and I basically have a roller and a complete one, I'll know exactly what I've got left over and you can have a gander :thumbsup:

thats fine.

in no rush to buy parts for this atm other than getting the gh racing bits everyone seems to now be buying.

more interesting in getting one of the 3 projects finished, specifically getting the final 3 parts for ruby bought and fitted.

Aye well I'll drop you a line on probably about Thursday/Friday, I won't be doing the build straight away and have a feeling some bits won't even arrive until Tuesday, possibly even Wednesday.

Oh and I also may have to nick your idea of listing every part and putting which I've got and which I haven't, take a while to go through them all but at least I'll know what's what :whistling:

Edited by Oh How Original

indeed.

i have a much more detailed list of parts on my laptop listing very part i'm going to get, in the case of stock parts i have listing their part numbers aswell, and what number they are listed as on any parts trees.

i have a 3rd small joblot i bought from ebay on friday which will give me the rear shock towers and rear bulkheads, which i'll update the list with when i get them tuesday/wednesday, it also has some other parts.

basicly while i'll be saving money for finishing ruby if i spot any cheap parts or get offered them i'll buy them, but the upgrades with wait until ruby is done.

yesterday i got some of mr m swindon's 15mm stainless steel turnbuckles

and in my morning ebay search i found some gh racing shock supports in sliver, used but the offer i made got accepted so they will be cleaned up and used on blake.

name change is also being considered

No problemo dude, I need to do the same thing if I'm honest, but too lazy to go through the entire list and keep checking my spares box, if I had more space I'd do it, but at the moment Baja numero uno is occupying my bench lol.

All the stuff from my Baja will go in the front room sometime tonight and everything will be getting laid out on the bench ready for my delivery tomorrow, if it arrives tomorrow obviously.

And definitely need a name change :P

Edited by Oh How Original

yea well i'm lucky in that i've not yet got loads of parts aswell as being semi fussy on what parts i use upgrade wise.

my face must have been a picture when i found the ghr shock supports. i know there are other versions but i either don't trust their strength (integy) or don't like how they look (km)

i really want the rear shock supports, the 2 front bulkhead parts i want i could live without with as i'll have the turtle top plate and i-rc chassis set up which should have more than enough strength.

i do have some stock plastic ones that i can use if need be, but i'd rather not have to.

and unlike ruby, i have every single part planned out already, in stead of choosing them as i go.

been finding the odd job lot on ebay but all the same stuff, most of which i already have but thats not what this post is for.

the large pile of parts has had a change of plan which required another sort through (done this 6 or 7 times now) happy i did as i found a i-rc rear brace in there i had someone managed to miss, so got that to clean up now. saves be afewe more quid on the build at least lol