• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

I'm new to rally and this is my first rally car!

JoeGT

Hi people,

I've been on the forum a little while, I came on here a couple of years back when I purchased my Hpi RS4 drift car which I thouroughly enjoy using. And its still going well. I dug it out from under my bed a couple of weeks ago and done some repairs that needed doing.

Whilst browsing the web and you tube on Tuesday night, I came across the Ken block Hpi WR8 flux rally car. I was instantly interested but the only thing that let it down for me was being electric. I don't have much interest in leccy, I'm much more into nitro.

But after searching I found that they do infact do a nitro version of the car without the Ken block extras. After watching many videos and reviews on youtube of both the flux and nitro version (which both use the same chassis) I decided to order one on Wednesday night, just 24 hours after finding out about it. lol.

I love the Ken block shell and wheels, so although I've bought the standard rally Fiesta I will be replacing the shell with the Ken Block shell (when I can find somewhere that has it in stock) and getting a spare set of wheels.

So heres some pics :) poor quality iPhone pics but they'll do for now.

Boxed up

8436698562_4d3c8189a0_z.jpg

IMG_0368 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

8435613357_d3a95a97ae_z.jpg

IMG_0370 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

Out the box

8435612523_9509f90554_z.jpg

IMG_0372 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

8436696216_ce3a134276_z.jpg

IMG_0374 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

Shell on

8436695542_738ebf1f0a_z.jpg

IMG_0376 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

8436694530_79c0f649a1_z.jpg

IMG_0378 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

8436693816_70e22ac8a8_z.jpg

IMG_0380 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

Box being hijacked shortly after

8435608473_3cecefaa44_z.jpg

IMG_0382 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

Size comparison of the 1/8 Fiesta to the 1/10 Silvia Drifter

8436692076_29e11f8944_z.jpg

IMG_0384 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

8436691144_28342bf08e_z.jpg

IMG_0386 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

8436689506_9f61dde703_z.jpg

IMG_0390 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

8436688704_6ea59f8528_z.jpg

IMG_0392 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

Shells off

8436686954_17bbfd6894_z.jpg

IMG_0396 by JoeRS182, on Flickr.

8435603507_292da8b3a3_z.jpg

IMG_0394 by JoeRS182, on Flickr

So now I'm all geared up for a long day out tomorrow, giving the S15 hell and breaking in my new rally toy. I'm really impressed with the ground clearance and suspension travel. I'd never really been interested in off road stuff until I saw this as its sort of inbetween a road car and an off road car.

For anyone who's curious or don't know what these cars are good for take a look at this video,

Thats all for now any questions/tips/advice would be appreciated.

Joe

that looks like a really nice bit of kit...I could really be tempted to buy one of those, I have a 1/10 on road nitro, but it doesn't really do much for me as I like my big off road trucks...but a 1/8 rally seems to be a great idea. Will be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Well I set out thismorning to start the break in process. Done all the usual checks and put some fuel in. It started after a few pulls and I ran that tank through idleing on a block as suggested in the manual.

I was keeping an eye on the temprature with my hpi heat gun and she was rising upto about 180f so I richened it up a little more on both needles to keep it nice and cool for the first tank.

After that I couldnt restart it! it was hard to pull but even after taking the glow plug out and trying to flush the fuel out using the pull string it still seemed soaking wet in there. I tipped it onto its side and a lot of unburn oil came out of the exhaust pipe. By this time my old glow starter had died I thought it was on its last legs I should of got another one.

So I shot down to my local model shop which took the best part of an hour and returned home with a new glow starter and charged it for a couple of hours, by this time the inside of the engine seemed to have dried and I was able to start it straight away. So I ran the second tank of fuel through idleing on a block as per the manual.

Thats as far as I got by this time it was getting dark and I had to throw in the towel. But I'll be back on it tomorrow morning. Hopefully itll be more successful this time.

Edited by JoeGT

Managed to get out again today, with a new freshly charged glow starter.

Reset the needles and put the car in the footwell of my car with the heaters blowing full wack on the way to the location I was going to use.

Primed it and it fired up within about three pulls. So I followed on from yesterday and ran about 8 tanks through it. Giving it a little more each tank and it ran faultlessly. After a total of ten tanks I decided it was time to start leaning it out a bit. So I did and it was running great and still staying pretty cool with the shell off.

The performance is amazing, on tarmac I was able to drift it quiet easily. The brakes are also very good. Just as I was getting happy with the tune my glow starter was going flat so I called it a day. It was bloody cold but all in all I had a good day and I can't wait to get it out again.

It still hasnt seen any dirt apart from lots of unburnt oil coming out of the exhaust during run in. But it will soon enough!

Edited by JoeGT

I've just turned up this thread on Google. I'm in a similar position having just heard about the WR8 and being very very tempted to go and get one tomorrow. I'm just mulling over whether to go nitro or electric. I have a Tamiya TG10 1999 Impreza which is just no good off road and can be a total pain to start some days, yet others fires first time. The snarl of an internal combustion engine is always going to sound better than an electric motor, but some days I just wish nitro was just a bit less fiddly.

How responsive is the WR8 3.0 engine at lower revs? The old FS12LT in the TG10 is really sluggish to get going which makes powering out of tight turns pretty miserable. It's the only nitro car I've had though so don't know if that's usual or just because its old and worn out.

I'm looking for some reassurance that the WR8 has sufficient suspension travel and clearance to manage on rougher ground, that the seemingly lesser covered Nitro model is as good as the Flux version and that it's going be worth spending over

• Like 1

Glad you managed to find this thread. When I was searching for more info on the nitro version I found it hard to find much about it, as all the reviews seem to be for the flux version.

For me nitro was a no brainer as I'm a petrol head anyway and I like working on engines and tweaking them. Also the fact that its cheaper than the flux edition is another pro. So far I've managed to run about 12 tanks through it and it was running very rich through the break in process. But even though the engine was tight and running very rich I still found it very powerfull.

I've just started leaning it out and the throttle response and power is brilliant in my opinion. I've only run it on tarmac so far with the off road tyres on. And from a stand still if you mash the throttle, you have to fight to keep it in a straight line because its that powerfull. A properly tuned nitro engine should have good throttle response all through the rev range and have a good top speed.

Starting it hasn't been too bad, obviously being a new tight engine and the cold weather makes it a little hard but I've not had any real issues. Nitro is fiddly but once you get the hang of it and get your tune right, it should only need minor adjustments on the high end needle from day to day depending on difference in temprature etc.

On tarmac there was ample amounts of power to drift it around corners, so on dirt there will be more than enough power. In saying that its very grippy on tarmac and it stops great.

As for suspension travel, theres a lot of ground clearance on it. Obviously its not going to have the clearance or ability to tackle terrain that a truggy or buggy will but I'm sure it can handle a lot. Many of the reviews I've seen have commented on how durable these little cars are. I've seen them being jumped, smashed and bashed in these videos on youtube and they just seem to take it. Also there are some nice upgrade options from plastic parts to hardened parts which make it even more durable. Putting the WR8 next to my on road 1/10 car the ground clearance is night and day. Also if you wanted more adjustability on the height/stiffness of the shocks/springs you can easily upgrade them to proline springs which look like a great bit of kit.

Have a look as this vid http://www.msuk-foru...-trophy-truggy/ I know its the flux version but the chassis are the same and you can see how well it handles dirt. Also search for the UltimateRC review of the flux edition. Some of the footage in that video should impress you.

All I can say is I don't regret buying it one bit. I'm looking forward to testing its limits some more on the dirt. Also I've had no problems with the engine over heating or cutting out.

If theres anything else you'd like to know just ask :)

Edited by JoeGT

Well, I think that video you've linked to convinces me of its off road capabilities. It was the RC Universe review of the ken block version that got me thinking. I did have a brief look at the Kyosho DRX but there is just something about the HPI that is making me feel like having a bad wallet accident tomorrow. I've found a place doing them for

Edited by coldcuppatea

I had the same problem. Found out about the WR8 on the Wednesday and on the Thursday I'd ordered it lol.

These are the proline shocks http://prolineracing.com/performance-parts/power-stroke-shocks-front/ their just an upgrade not specific to any vehicle I don't think.

I also saw the DRX but I just wasnt as excited by that as the WR8 don't know why :P

Been thinking for the last week or 2, between the wr8, or drx... Nice to hear about the hpi nitro as all I've found has been electric! .... Saying that, think I'm on the drx path at the moment!

i was in a model shop the other day and compared the drx to the wr8, it is alot bigger but parts wise its not the best, so i went for the wr8 (flux) which i got as a roller from america and put my own electrics in. i am well impressed with mine but have not had it off road yet because of ****ty weather but with it being water proof it will not be long. i have just done the shock (proline power stroke ) upgrade and they fit a treat..... this car really does shift and i am glad i chose it over the drx, the only thing it has over the wr8 is its size but i am not so sure that is always a good thing.... another happy customer for the wr8 :thumbsup:

Edited by bobby288

Two tanks through it sat on a workbench, ready to go and drive in circles for another two tanks now :)

I've seen a lot of comments on other forums about how it's not a real 1/8th scale car, but it certainly dwarfs my 1/10th TG10:

8455728757_e29c164eac_b.jpg

Camera Roll-294 by rhysturner, on Flickr

8455724313_ca1b7bd935_b.jpg

Camera Roll-290 by rhysturner, on Flickr

Seal of approval granted:

8455732365_114064e8d7_b.jpg

Camera Roll-298 by rhysturner, on Flickr

Haha. Good pics.

I manage to run a couple of tanks today just as it was getting dark. Let me know how you get on with tuning it.

The manual baffles me a bit as HPI recommend you don't tune the LSN? :S However my LSN seems mega rich. I leaned it half a turn so far and it still seems very rich.

Jesus!. lol oh dear. Their durable but not that durable!.

Its easy to do I suppose! hopefully you'll be able to pick the replacement bits up easily. Hope you can get them locally. I'm never lucky enough to be able to lol.

Oh and just a bit of advice, the manual says the break in process is complete after 4 tanks of fuel. That doesn't seem enough to me. I ran atleast ten tanks before starting to tune.

Thank **** for superglue. At least it should be usable while I get replacement parts.

Where is best to source these from? Is there much in the way of up rated parts available yet?

My own fault for being clumsy, but quite surprised how much damage it did. I've hit curbs with my Tamiya's plenty of times and never had a breakage.

E515532E-4665-4AE8-AE30-28A811127917-310-0000000FC19E0BE9_zpsfeb100c4.jpg

• Like 1

I take it your from the uk? I get most my parts from wheelspin models or modelsport.

Unless my local model shop has them. Luckily I've had no major crashes. Don't forget it's 1/8 scale so it's heavier than a 1/10.

Yes, in the UK. Modelsport have the most badly broken part in so I'm going to take a trip up there this afternoon. No one seems to have the upper arms in stock, so will just have to hope my repair holds up for a while. Failing that I'll have to see if I can find adjustable arms from som other car to improvise with.