• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Scouting In Yorkshire

Last week we were leaving to go on holiday and I had to decide which toy to take. I recently picked up a scout roller for the misses and put in my own electrics and although I understood crawling but never "got it" as I'm more used to speed and bashing. I opted for the scout and I'm glad I did. The terrain was just right and found lots of streams to drive through. The misses couldn't wait to grab the TX out of my hands so she enjoyed us challenging each other to get over rocks up inclines etc.

I did manage to snap a half shaft though but must admit I was giving it a bit of stick. I now "get" crawling and will definitely keep it but can't see it being used much as there's not many places near me I can think of that would be suitable for it. I love the many hours runtime I got out of a single 2s lipo. I will be weighing the wheels like i've seen a few people do as a few times I notified the front wheels creep up. Although can't compare it to anything else I found it be very capable for the price.

A few pics....

3271.jpg

3272.jpg

3273.jpg

3274.jpg

3275.jpg

3276.jpg

3277.jpg

A fair few say higher your shock oil wt and i run 180g per front and 60g per rear :D

to be honest your going to need more weight than that, between 8oz and 14oz in each front and 1/2 to 2/3rds that in the rear :thumbsup:

lower the body, get the battery over the front axle, then when funds allow either hot bodies sedonas in white or rovers in white, you`ll need a crowbar to get it off the rocks then matey :thumbsup:

A fair few say higher your shock oil wt and i run 180g per front and 60g per rear :D

What wt do you recommend then mate? i've got 30/35/40

to be honest your going to need more weight than that, between 8oz and 14oz in each front and 1/2 to 2/3rds that in the rear :thumbsup:

lower the body, get the battery over the front axle, then when funds allow either hot bodies sedonas in white or rovers in white, you`ll need a crowbar to get it off the rocks then matey :thumbsup:

Will these rovers fit the standard wheels? 2.2 right? http://www.rcpitstop...7772-1519-p.asp

Edited by stretch

30wt oil would be great for the shocks and those tyres you linked to will fit on the kit rims too, lead flashing is about the best stuff, you could use the fake sticky backed lead they use on double glazing too, either is fine though as you get more weight for less space. :thumbsup:

30wt it is then, gives me an excuse for more tinkering. I will go with the rovers as monies tight at the moment. Would any of these do the trick?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item231d707ad4

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item231d707ad2

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item231d707ad3

Edited by stretch

thats the stuff but go to a builders merchants like b&q etc. save the money of postage mate. it may also pay to take the tyre off the rim and take it with you to give some ideas on width for the pre-cut stuff.

Well today had a bit of spare time so decided to do my shock oils and while I had them off I thought i'd shorten them a tad.

Without the wheels on the height to the top of the tray was 14.3cm

3323.jpg

I used a shock spacer as a height guide for the tubing

3324.jpg

installed on shocks

3326.jpg

Difference between stock and modded

3325.jpg

All filled with 30wt and put back on, now 13.3cm so 1cm off stock

3327.jpg

I'm hoping it'll take the 'edge' off it flailing around like a drunken toy.

Edited by stretch

Cheers mate, you got the crawler conversion set for the WK? it's about 30 quid and includes all you need and rims/tyres.

sits a bit nicer now

3331.jpg

going to take it out at the weekend and see how she handles.

Edited by stretch