• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Useless break-in instructions from HPI

PsyDom

Hi all..

Well, my new HPI Trophy Truggy showed up yesterday and like the addict I am I got in to breaking it in right after giving a quick check-over.. Now this is my 3rd car so while I'm not a veteran, i'm at least comfortable with the basics but none the less I read the manual to make sure I haven't/wont miss anything..

(this is according to the HPI manual..)

1st tank: "idle for one tank with wheels off the ground"... ok simple enough..

2nd & 3rd tanks : "slowley, with the wheels of the ground, increase rev's up to full throtle to 'clean out' the engine'" (I'm paraphrasing a little here)..

.....manual switches to the other languages......

wait.. that's it? no more instructions? There's an image of driving it around a couple of cones but no further instructions on break in, it's straight on to tuning instructions... hmm.. me thinks there is a vital step missing here..

No wonder we get so confused when starting this hobby!

Anyhow.. thought I'd share that one.. now off to finish the break-in.. :D

no, what it means is theres a little picture underneath for tanks 2+3, driving it around. the periodic cleaning thing is something you do for all tanks.

if I was you I'd do this: (my hybrid break in method)

1. Idle the car with wheels off the ground

wait 10-15 mins

2. 1/2 throttle for 2 secs driving around

wait 10-15 mins

3. 1/2 throttle for 3 secs

wait 5-10 mins

4. 3/4 throttle for 2 secs

wait 5-10 mins

5. 3/4 throttle for 3 secs

wait 5-10 mins

6+ Drive normally now, and when you stop noticing an increase in performance between tanks, tune the car. :good:

hope it helps.

Hi all..

Well, my new HPI Trophy Truggy showed up yesterday and like the addict I am I got in to breaking it in right after giving a quick check-over.. Now this is my 3rd car so while I'm not a veteran, i'm at least comfortable with the basics but none the less I read the manual to make sure I haven't/wont miss anything..

(this is according to the HPI manual..)

1st tank: "idle for one tank with wheels off the ground"... ok simple enough..

2nd & 3rd tanks : "slowley, with the wheels of the ground, increase rev's up to full throtle to 'clean out' the engine'" (I'm paraphrasing a little here)..

.....manual switches to the other languages......

wait.. that's it? no more instructions? There's an image of driving it around a couple of cones but no further instructions on break in, it's straight on to tuning instructions... hmm.. me thinks there is a vital step missing here..

No wonder we get so confused when starting this hobby!

Anyhow.. thought I'd share that one.. now off to finish the break-in.. :D

HPI's instructions are in the DVD, you are meant to watch this, as this explains all

Cool mate, we are bashing on Sunday at Ascot if you fancy bringing the Trophy :good:

yeah come join us :good:

Yep ill be coming.

Watch the dvd it comes with as it's so much clearer on there, deff come along tomorrow if you can and we'll help you get it all setup and you can have a look at mine and ill point out weak points

I'll certainly make the effort to get out and have a bash with you all :) I've only just gotten home from the new years festivities so I may be a little wrecked but I should be there.. I'll pick that up on the North Hants thread tho..

I will take any tuning tips on offer!

HPI's instructions are in the DVD, you are meant to watch this, as this explains all

Yeah, I've watched them as a refresher course just in case I forgot something. I just thought the lack of detailed instructions, the missing steps (which apear to be outlined in the non-english sections below) was a little odd.. Just commenting rather than complaining :good:

HPi's come with a dvd aswell so anyone with half a brain should be able to break the engine in

err.. thanks tomr.. :confused:

This is my 3rd car so I'm reasonably clear on how it's done, but I re-read things to make sure I'm not making silly mistakes.. I also think clear documantation is a must, especially when you may not be able to take the dvd player and TV out to the local car park where you plan to break the car in.. ...just say'in..

Either way, she's been through tanks 3 & 4 now so a little more and some tuning and we can see what it's really capable off..