• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First car help?

Netcon

the best way to bring ya insurance down for a new driver is do the pass plus test,, it knocks 30% off straight away,,

pick a car with a cat 1 alarm and immobilizer

and if ya can get one with tracking ,this also knocks it down alot

get quotes before doing pass plus though, it didnt change it at all for me

hey joe your insurane wil go pwhen you pass your test.

im insured on a 51 plate corsa c

its registered as a 1.0 with a 2 litre red top in it,

its a risky move but for more power its the only was i cann afford insurance,

i pay 1800 a year but all of my mods have been declared apart from the engine

You're not insured then and every time you drive that car, you're breaking the law.

People like you push other insurance prices up. Get insured properly or buy something you can insure.

• Like 1

/rant

Insurance is pathetic nowadays. Because 5% of 17 year old MALE drivers (women get off lightly) go around being idiots in their pimped up golfs (all they do is put a different zaust on it, dont make it faster) and then... oh noes! The wall just appeared. At 110 mph, in the dark, down the M5, when they careered off it.

Who here can't stand sheilas wheels adverts on tv? they really annoy me. Sexist.

And these male drivers make the other 95% of genuine, honest 17 year olds have a hard time. Car:

• Like 2

Actually I'm afraid you are wrong on so many counts its hard to know where to start:

Firstly its not just 17 year olds - its new drivers as a rule. Inexperience really makes a big difference. Its even worse for teens, who bundle inexperience with over-confidence and a feeling of being invincible (remember I'm a school teacher - I see a lot of 17 year olds!). From my experience most under 21's can expect at least one accident in their first year driving. Not always caused by them, but more often than not an accident a more experienced driver could have avoided.

Now I agree that unfortunately the only way to get experience is to drive, but you can't get insurance to drive without experience, but you mentioned jobs, and thats how the job market goes too. It sucks, but its how stuff works.

Next up - spoilers, skirts, splitters, fancy paint work and especially loud exhausts don't really make a car go faster, but they genuinely do make the more likely to crash. The reason is simple - you fit that stuff to make your car seem more sporty, and it won't look very sporty pottering around at 25mph everywhere. So you rag it around like you are an F1 driver. After all, the whole idea is to look good. And thats when the accident happens. Remember in a residential area the speed limit is 30 - even a 1ltr can easily exceed that. Its the primary reason insurance is cheaper for women - they don't tend to show off thinking they are Lewis Hamilton. Admittedly the Shelias wheels ads are rubbish though......

What is interesting is the whole not allowed to drive after dark stuff suggested for under 21's. Actually makes a lot of sense (unless you are under 21!) because most accidents happen then. Its the time inexperience is most likely to be costly (like barely visible pedestrians for example) and its also the time you are most like to start showing off to your mates and being silly. I'm not talking 100+ mph stuff, just traffic light drag racing against your mate, or similar stuff. Most of us older folks did it when we were younger too. And not driving at night means cheaper insurance by day - which is when you need a car to go to work.

• Like 1

postcode lottery again

garaged helps a lot

if you got access to one

Yup, i keep it at my mum's in the country on the driveway as i stay with my dad during the week and rarely get to use until the weekend. Excluding today.. tongue.gif

Yup, and sadly I'm in the majority that aren't idiots sad.gif

What have you decided to get fella car wise?haven't read all the posts but one good point I did see was about starting your own insurance.It'll pay off later on

Got me a 2000 Fiesta Zetec. Really happy with it so far! Was all excited when i popped the bonnet to see a 'Zetec-S' badge but it definitely isn't. Ford just got lazy when they came to the non 'S'! Insurance is

hey joe your insurane wil go pwhen you pass your test.

im insured on a 51 plate corsa c

its registered as a 1.0 with a 2 litre red top in it,

its a risky move but for more power its the only was i cann afford insurance,

i pay 1800 a year but all of my mods have been declared apart from the engine

if you can't afford the insurance, don't get more power? simple. I hope you get caught out sometime soon to be fair lol.

And why declare the rest of the mods? Your insurance is invalid anyway lol

i had a suzuki swift gti as my first car and i was paying 1500 pounds to insure it tpft, my last proper toy which i sold about a month ago was a supercharged golf r32 mk4 im 27 and the misses is 25 and i was paying 600 pounds for both of us insurance for new / young drivers is crap but you can thank chavs and twocers for that.

Edited by hyper 1

looks good, needs lowering and 2 doors removing though :P

Was waiting for someone to say that! rolleyes.gif

i was just wondering, would it be cheaper to rent a grage from the council, and say to the insurers its in a locked garage? would the saving from insurance outweigh the cost of a garage...

I very much doubt it, worth looking into i supose!

Bit pointless on the cutting out of the number plate, u missed one out.....

No i didn't..? tongue.gif