• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

Which option did you go with for the conversion? Those axles are both totally different sizes.

67402 does not fit the Trophy truggy cvd shaft end (too small) unless you used the 133mm shafts off the D8T tessmann

86504 does fit the Truggy shaft end but they make the whole shaft longer by about 3mm and can bind on landings and stuff when the suspension is fully compressed.

I've tried both.

It is pretty bad that you can't get axles or a CVD kit for this without spending $$$$!!

The best optionl is to get the Trophy buggy 101067 - Universal Joint set and use the axles from those which are guaranteed to fit if you have the Original 133mm Truggy shafts or the 66479 Lightning pro 2 shafts

I use trophy buggy axles...so you are saying that I can't just get the axle end, and I need to buy the hole axle again...???

If so...that sucks...

bashing time!!!

Basically yes. That's HPI for you. If you do small-medium size jumping and try the 86504 axle you WILL bend shafts or diff housings on landing under flex proving more costly. It puts the pin end well far into the diff cup due to the extra length and takes a whack. Best be safe.

I'll see if I've still got everything around and show a comparison.

Best place for you is:

http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/hpi/trophy-buggy-3-5/hpi-1-8-trophy-buggy-3-5-front-universal-drive-shafts-left-right.html

Only 2 left and I would personally buy both.

Edited by dazp1976
  • Like 1

Basically yes. That's HPI for you. If you do small-medium size jumping and try the 86504 axle you WILL bend shafts or diff housings on landing under flex proving more costly. It puts the pin end well far into the diff cup due to the extra length and takes a whack. Best be safe.

I'll see if I've still got everything around and show a comparison.

Best place for you is:

http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/hpi/trophy-buggy-3-5/hpi-1-8-trophy-buggy-3-5-front-universal-drive-shafts-left-right.html

Only 2 left and I would personally buy both.

So the 86504 will fit the 101067 shafts???

bashing time!!!

So the 86504 will fit the 101067 shafts???

bashing time!!!

Yep. Fits on the end of both the trophy buggy and truggy cvd shafts just makes them both around 2-3mm longer which can make a big difference.

I just fitted a buggy one up to show a side by side difference in length but wifeee has hidden the damn camera.

Edited by dazp1976
  • Like 1

rookie question but is there any kind of failsafes that if the batteries in the truggy dies or gets low it will turn the breaks on?like i know there is a failsafe if it looses signal or the remote shuts off but what about the opposite...thanks in advance 

rookie question but is there any kind of failsafes that if the batteries in the truggy dies or gets low it will turn the breaks on?like i know there is a failsafe if it looses signal or the remote shuts off but what about the opposite...thanks in advance 

Hey, the savage 4.6's (not sure about the others) came with a spring that you attached to the throttle arm and attached the other end round the carb opening, this would help atleast shut the power off should the onboard power fail

86356_86356_02p_800_600.jpg

See the spring at the bottom

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/86356?show_disc=true

I have seen engines being sold that have elastic bands wrapped round to get the same effect, i have not tried the elastic bands so cannot comment on them bt do use this spring

Allan

Yep. Fits on the end of both the trophy buggy and truggy cvd shafts just makes them both around 2-3mm longer which can make a big difference.

I just fitted a buggy one up to show a side by side difference in length but wifeee has hidden the damn camera.

Oooh wifey...

bashing time!!!

Is it nitro or electric..??

bashing time!!!

Hey, the savage 4.6's (not sure about the others) came with a spring that you attached to the throttle arm and attached the other end round the carb opening, this would help atleast shut the power off should the onboard power fail

86356_86356_02p_800_600.jpg

See the spring at the bottom

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/86356?show_disc=true

I have seen engines being sold that have elastic bands wrapped round to get the same effect, i have not tried the elastic bands so cannot comment on them bt do use this spring

Allan

Good point that. My 4.6 trophy had a spring on the slider to pull it back although if the batts get low it will lose signal anyway won't it.

I have it on my engine just incase for whatever reason the battery suddenly dies or the plug works loose etc, in any of these events there would be no power to the receiver to activate the failsafe so the truggy would carry on at whatever throttle position it was at what the power cut, the spring should atleast slowly shut the throttle off (depending on your throttle servo strength) and at best shut throttle off completely allowing the truggy to roll to a stop and allow my kids the chance to catch p and bring it back.......oh, did i say that bit out loud....... i meant giving me a chance to catch up and bring it back

Allan

Yeah i plan on fitting something like that to mine, there was one a couple pages back that had a savage one cut into the receiver box and looked quite smart

Allan

Yeah i plan on fitting something like that to mine, there was one a couple pages back that had a savage one cut into the receiver box and looked quite smart

Allan

That's the one I was thinking of. Couldn't be bothered finding the page :D

The lacky band idea sounds good to me or better still fit something like this:

a1029092-83-898.jpeg

I used to have the same one...but once I upgrade to a LiFe...it wasn't accurate because is 6.6v...but the LiFe battery really last a long time...I'm very pleased with this upgrade...I think is a must do a on every nitro...plus I have a way better response on my servos...[emoji106] [emoji6]

bashing time!!!

HI

I have Trophy Truggy 4.6v2 and thinking about few upgrades:

Throttle Return Springs Receiver Battery and Quick Charger

And I'm looking for 3 shoe clutch upgrade (aluminium, metal ?) with 17t Vented clutch bell.

Bashing Tyres.

Steering servo from forum info best are savox SERVO SC-0254MG or SERVO SC-0252MG

Please advice on companies, makes to look for when buying that stuff and places best for ordering.

Links will be greatly appreciated !

I did search forum and just want to make sure everything is up to date and I will get best stuff for

Edited by XSLAWX

HI

And I'm looking for 3 shoe clutch upgrade (aluminium, metal ?) with 17t Vented clutch bell.

Bashing Tyres.

Steering servo from forum info best are savox SERVO SC-0254MG or SERVO SC-0252MG

Please advice on companies, makes to look for when buying that stuff and places best for ordering.

I did search forum and just want to make sure everything is up to date and I will get best stuff for

• Like 1

With regards to a throttle return system, this has been done for years by racers worldwide. And it works. It doesnt matter how strong your servo is, once it looses power the strength goes out of it and the band/ spring shuts off the power almost instantly. Only thing it doesnt do is apply brakes.

As for what to use, yes you can get springs designed for this job, but if you have a sister/ girlfriend/ wife, then youll have access to those elasticated hair bobbles they use. These are a better alternative to elastic bands as the bare elastic can degrade over time. Plus if you want style, you can get all different colours...

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

HI

Bashing Tyres.

Edited by dazp1976