• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

Aren't the standard shock caps alloy? If not what benefit would you get from changing?

nope, they're not, the bit which attatches the top of the schock to the rear of the car is plastic.

When i rolled, mine snapped off, here's a picture to help see what happened.

I'm guessing the ally ones are stronger

th_2e52184b.jpg

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO MAKE IT LARGER

THE BLACK BIT IS PLASTIC ON THE STOCK ONES.

Edited by harjun

would strongly recommend a hump pack and edit hubs, as well as a set of aluminium shock caps.

This is what i have upgraded on my car so far, really happy with it :)

Already got a few hump packs , 28 engine and fancy pipe , I've seen those edit rear hubs on hpi Europe for

i have a slot cut into shell so it sits there and doesnt fall into shell as 1st pullstart fell over exhaust and melted lol

Any pictures or where u cut into shell to hold it ??

i have a slot cut into shell so it sits there and doesnt fall into shell as 1st pullstart fell over exhaust and melted lol

Any pictures or where u cut into shell to hold it ??

nope, they're not, the bit which attatches the top of the schock to the rear of the car is plastic.

When i rolled, mine snapped off, here's a picture to help see what happened.

I'm guessing the ally ones are stronger

Just to add to what Harjun said, the stock ones are a 2 piece part alloy, part plastic cap (in his pic the brown bit is alloy and the black is plastic), it's the plastic part that can explode if you land a large jump with thicker oil (just ask Smithy111)..

The alloy ones are a all alloy single piece cap..

I'm still waiting for mine to come in from wheelspin.. HPI Europe had them in stock not too long ago and I'm tempted to order them direct and just sell the others when they finally show up..

Just to add to what Harjun said, the stock ones are a 2 piece part alloy, part plastic cap (in his pic the brown bit is alloy and the black is plastic), it's the plastic part that can explode if you land a large jump with thicker oil (just ask Smithy111)..

The alloy ones are a all alloy single piece cap..

I'm still waiting for mine to come in from wheelspin.. HPI Europe had them in stock not too long ago and I'm tempted to order them direct and just sell the others when they finally show up..

i got mine from roundabout RC, but they're out of stock now :)

i got mine from roundabout RC, but they're out of stock now :)

D'oh! They just go so fast!!

And I'm going away for the long weekend and plan to really give it to the TT so wanted them on hand or installed.. hmm.. makes me think actually.. must buy spares for it before I go.. but what? I've done the rear hubs and the standard things that go wrong with the TT..

Anyone using alloy steering hubs? any other recomendations?

i'd keep a spare servo and clutch

The servo I have and I've gone alloy on the clutch so it's reasonably bullet proof (I hope!!)

Can't think of much else that's likely to go wrong other than some ball ends or suspension control rods (can't think of the right name for them.. runs from the top of the hub carrier/steering knuckle to the shock towers..)

EDIT: after posting that last comment, I bet I'll snap something within minutes of getting it started! :rofl:

Edited by PsyDom

Hello, My name is connor, not long joined, but here is my trophy buggy and truggy.

Things i have done so far:

truggy, upgraded big bore suspension, upgraded steering servo to high torque, changed diff grease to oil, changed the drive shafts and the ends to the 17 mm hex ones.

Buggy: Upgraded big bore suspension, upgraded steering servo to high torque, front and rear upgraded anti bending roads, upgraded bell housing, upgraded spur gear, upgraded engine mounts, and changed the diff grease to oil, runs so much better.

Upgrades thats on order all for both cars: carbon servo tray, carbon center diff plate, carbon rear brace for truggy, JP-4 exhaust, edit rear hubs, edit center diff mounts. and im trying to find the aluminium servo tray mounts, but cant find anywhere, if anyone knows where to get them from, please let me know, thanks

Anyways heres pics, let me know wot u think, sorry for bad quality pics, as my blackberry camera is rubbish

:)30c87th.jpg4fxqfa.jpga9r1o6.jpg

2u4ow1j.jpg

And I'm going away for the long weekend and plan to really give it to the TT so wanted them on hand or installed.. hmm.. makes me think actually.. must buy spares for it before I go.. but what? I've done the rear hubs and the standard things that go wrong with the TT..

Anyone using alloy steering hubs? any other recomendations?

Do what I do which is : When you break a part either upgrade if possible or order 2 stock replacements when you can't upgrade , That way you will have a spare to hand :good:Or at least you have tried your best and at worst yu are just unlucky like me LOL

When you say alloy steering hubs do you mean the bearing carriers ? If so then then standard ones are made of ***** metal and drop bolts out for fun , High tensile cap heads in soft ally is a recipe for disaster . Everyone says to loctite them in but loctite only works on well machined hgh tensile parts , Araldite poxy resin applied sparingly will fill the gaps left by poor machining and will reinforce and lock the bolts to the carriers :good:

Hello, My name is connor, not long joined, but here is my trophy buggy and truggy.

Things i have done so far:

truggy, upgraded big bore suspension, upgraded steering servo to high torque, changed diff grease to oil, changed the drive shafts and the ends to the 17 mm hex ones.

Buggy: Upgraded big bore suspension, upgraded steering servo to high torque, front and rear upgraded anti bending roads, upgraded bell housing, upgraded spur gear, upgraded engine mounts, and changed the diff grease to oil, runs so much better.

Upgrades thats on order all for both cars: carbon servo tray, carbon center diff plate, carbon rear brace for truggy, JP-4 exhaust, edit rear hubs, edit center diff mounts. and im trying to find the aluminium servo tray mounts, but cant find anywhere, if anyone knows where to get them from, please let me know, thanks

Anyways heres pics, let me know wot u think, sorry for bad quality pics, as my blackberry camera is rubbish

:)30c87th.jpg4fxqfa.jpga9r1o6.jpg

2u4ow1j.jpg

where you get the big bores for the truggy?

Do what I do which is : When you break a part either upgrade if possible or order 2 stock replacements when you can't upgrade , That way you will have a spare to hand :good:Or at least you have tried your best and at worst yu are just unlucky like me LOL

When you say alloy steering hubs do you mean the bearing carriers ? If so then then standard ones are made of ***** metal and drop bolts out for fun , High tensile cap heads in soft ally is a recipe for disaster . Everyone says to loctite them in but loctite only works on well machined hgh tensile parts , Araldite poxy resin applied sparingly will fill the gaps left by poor machining and will reinforce and lock the bolts to the carriers :good:

That's usually the plan, anything that get broken is upgraded and on the odd occasion I'll do upgrades on spec provided there's a clear benifit (i.e. I don't do pimp my RC mods :P) buying spares isn't a problem, it's just what to buy and take lol! I have 3 cars and aside from taking a roller firestorm there's only so much I can take if my wife wants to get her bags in the car too! :rofl:

I was talking about the metal stearing arms, yes.. but I see what you're saying.. I like the Araldite idea, I can't think of a time that stuff has failed me!

would anyone be able to tell me the diameter of the crankshaft

as i purchased an 18T HPI clutchbell but the bearings which come with the truggy are too large,

i've measure the bearing size for the bearing i need to fit the 18T, its 10mmx5mmx???? i need the last figure which is the internal diameter of the bearing but not sure what this should be.

Cheers