• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:41, Afiso said:

And which engine did you buy?

I have a 2-3 tank old force 5.2cc here...:yes:..so I wanted a mt to stick it in :yes:...so bought a tidy....:rolleyes:...savvy 4.6 off eaby but its going bak as its not as described....:banghead:.....so on the look out for another now...:yes:

Edited by evssv

On 6/21/2016 at 20:51, Sully said:

It was mostly dead when I stripped it down06ba821117bbd448f331444d4d2768d0.jpgive put new diff housing on and fitted original stearing assembly because it was all bent.

Think my esc has gone to heaven as well !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you had a good time

Allan

1 hour ago, crazyfrog said:

Is anyone selling part 101002 exhaust ghaskets

I need some too I think :rolleyes:

As usual many places are out of stock and those in stock are milking price a little. f,sake

Now, Wheelspin have got these listed:

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/1135/

If you look closely it says HPI 87049.

If they're suggesting these are equal to 101002 (Savages do use the same engines) then all these below should be one and the same.

I'm going to actually have a look in the local MS to see if they have owt first.

Spotted these on Amazon :rofl: Chancers!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HPI-RACING-Exhaust-HPIG1002-Racing/dp/B018MVQH1E?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

6 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

As usual many places are out of stock and those in stock are milking price a little. f,sake

If they're suggesting these are equal to 101002 (Savages do use the same engines) then all these below should be one and the same.

I'm going to actually have a look in the local MS to see if they have owt first.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HPI-RACING-Exhaust-HPIG1002-Racing/dp/B018MVQH1E?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

WOW, that's way beyond chancing, thats bleeding highway robbery

Allan

32 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

The HPIracing website says its for a K series engine so I'll not bother.

6 hours ago, evssv said:

I have a 2-3 tank old force 5.2cc here...:yes:..so I wanted a mt to stick it in :yes:...so bought a tidy....:rolleyes:...savvy 4.6 off eaby but its going bak as its not as described....:banghead:.....so on the look out for another now...:yes:

Oooh that sucks. I'm going to look for a Alpha engine

8 hours ago, crazyfrog said:

The HPIracing website says its for a K series engine so I'll not bother.

Do you evwr expand the "Show Discontinued Kits" tab? Surprising what comes up in the list sometimes.

Also includes the Savage X 4.6 - RTR  (earier F4.6v1).  Which was on the early Trophy Truggy.  Which has always used the same exhaust system for the V! and V2.

Wheelspin usually knows what they're talking about :thumbsup:

http://hpiracing.world/en/part/87049?show_disc=true

13 hours ago, crazyfrog said:

Is anyone selling part 101002 exhaust ghaskets

HPI, Ansmann, Ofna all use the same Force engines rebranded.

These'll fit:

Ansmann    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400594104439

Edit: Just been down to the LHS. The guy who runs it races at my local track CMCC.

He said that any exhaust gasket / oring / seal that is for a round port on a 1/8th .21 - .28 are a univeral fitment. He only had 2 for a SH engine left and it's an exact fit :thumbsup:

And there is also this post here:

And there you have it.

Edited by dazp1976

13 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Do you evwr expand the "Show Discontinued Kits" tab? Surprising what comes up in the list sometimes.

Also includes the Savage X 4.6 - RTR  (earier F4.6v1).  Which was on the early Trophy Truggy.  Which has always used the same exhaust system for the V! and V2.

Wheelspin usually knows what they're talking about :thumbsup:

http://hpiracing.world/en/part/87049?show_disc=true

12 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

HPI, Ansmann, Ofna all use the same Force engines rebranded.

These'll fit:

Ansmann    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400594104439

Edit: Just been down to the LHS. The guy who runs it races at my local track CMCC.

He said that any exhaust gasket / oring / seal that is for a round port on a 1/8th .21 - .28 are a univeral fitment. He only had 2 for a SH engine left and it's an exact fit :thumbsup:

And there is also this post here:

And there you have it.

Completely wrong!!! Its all to do witht the exhuast manifold not the engine itself. I was speaking to the guys at the local model store and they verified that there are two main sizes of silicone gaskets and the trophy uses the smaller size. They sold me some answer rc gaskets which are about half the thickness of the BSP(which I bought expecting to fit a trophy) and the HPI 87049 which I own already from when I fixed up and resold a hellfire.

Edited by crazyfrog

3 hours ago, Sully said:

Don't suppose anyone knows of some cv boots that fit the truggy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynamite-DYN7687-CVD-CV-Shaft-Boots-4-Black-Savage-25-X-/291809796999?hash=item43f1382387:g:3mEAAOSwZ1BXeUXH

Here are the first ones that i came across on the bay, hpi use to make them for the savage but are long oop

EDIT.......  Just noticed the postage, ill have another look for you

Allan

Edited by pug=309

40 minutes ago, pug=309 said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dynamite-DYN7687-CVD-CV-Shaft-Boots-4-Black-Savage-25-X-/291809796999?hash=item43f1382387:g:3mEAAOSwZ1BXeUXH

Here are the first ones that i came across on the bay, hpi use to make them for the savage but are long oop

EDIT.......  Just noticed the postage, ill have another look for you

Allan

I don't think there's really enough space between the CVD  and hub carrier to be honest to be able to get a proper boot to fit. :( Will just rub on the carrier I reckon.

I tried some heat shrink on mine once but it tore pretty quick.

Edited by dazp1976

8 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

I don't think there's really enough space between the CVD  and hub carrier to be honest to be able to get a proper boot to fit. :( 

I tried some heat shrink on mine once but it tore pretty quick.

I have a set of the oop savage ones that i was waiting on getting new cv shafts before fitting, ill get them out tomorrow and try and mock one in there and see

Allan

• Like 1

On 30 June 2016 at 01:12, crazyfrog said:

While I'm on does anyone know the o-ring size for the fuel tank lid?

Here's the guide which gives you links and part numbers for different CVDs.

Edited by crazyfrog

2 hours ago, crazyfrog said:

Here's the guide which gives you links and part numbers for different CVDs.

Undoubtedly the best/perfect fitting axle option for the front CVD's was/is:

Sportwerks SWK9298 axles & CVD repair kit SWK9297 from the Turmoil. However, I can't find any as easily now

Second best in terms of cost is the buggy CVD's #101067 and swap axles over.

3rd most costly is #66479.

There's a CVD repair kit from the Losi LST that fits the stock CVD's. (Can't find the packet, will update the number when found)

Vorza axles / cvd kit do not fit the stock Trophy shafts.

For the rears it's as before in the thread using your existing dogbones.

Axle #101061

M5x4mm grubs #Z740 (I prefer 5mm length)

Hex option 1 #101785

Hex pin #101082

Hex nut #67492

Hex option 2 #67486

Or use the wider #101792 or #67804

Losi Hexes from the 8ight LOSA3530 also fit.

I'm using the above rear axles on both with option 1 + 2 hex sets and Sportwerks axle sets.

Putting axles/ dogbones on all corners can bind and jam at the front on full lock. Worse when slightly worn.

Hellfire front axles aren't good. They fit but put the other end pin right in the diff cup due to being slightly longer. On even a slightly dodgy one wheel landing it can hit the cup hard, breaking the outdrive, bend diff internal housing at the bearing, bend the cvd shaft :( 

There is also the option of these but shafts are a little thinner.

https://hpiracing.world/en/part/113462

If you don't drive it hard it could be an option. Is a little close with the boot set in but you can omit the orange bit + boot set part and use your diff shims on the inner bearing instead to mimic the thickness lost. Main advantage is it's all available as separates, disadvantage shaft not as strong.

#113467, #115394, #67404, #115395, #109859

Axles do not fit the stock Trophy shafts.

Edit. Possible option with the Hellfire axles. Use a 8x16x4mm bearing on the inner of the hub instead of a 5mm thick. This will bring the Axle out a little. Then shim the outer 5mm bearing using diff shims to compensate so it sticks out. This will put the Hellfire axle + shaft further away from the diff cup so it doesn't hit. :) 

Might make use of my Hellfire axles now :thumbsup:

Edited by dazp1976

I thought the guide I linked to had some cheap tamiya CVDs linked but I couldn't see the link. It's probably another guide that I've seen but I'll try to link to that when I get home

On 30 June 2016 at 01:12, crazyfrog said:

While I'm on does anyone know the o-ring size for the fuel tank lid?

Seriously it would really help me out if someone would measure the stock o-ring with calipers. It's a common thing where these o-rings stretch and become unusable and could potentially save people from needing to buy new fuel tanks for £15

• 2 weeks later...

Been servicing the nitro conversion Truggy. Supposed to have it out today but didn't finish it :ack:

Still needs to go on the set up station and some meshing on the esc. got full of grass and stopped the fan last time. Hit 62C but wasn't bothered, motor was still running at 70C, I hate grass.

Bet it lashes down tomorrow, just my luck :rolleyes:

Got fed up with the big bores on the other, No matter what, the front end is always constantly lifted. The conversion chassis set up seems more balanced anyway. Doesn't nose dive like the actual Flux base and the stock shocks don't cause front lift. See if the 3.5mm shafts still hold up with 55wt.

Edited by dazp1976

Lol this thread has been going so long it's untrue you can only flog a dead horse for so long ;) 

Tis a half decent platform but the whole Trophy range is in desperate need of a revamp I mean come on guys it's 2016 and there still using Phillips head even Hobbyking are swapping out to hex head !. 

Theres not one owner I don't think that's not moaned about the cvd's at some point and changed them, same can be said about the shocks the chassis brace and the stupid hubs. 

I really enjoyed both mine and spent a pretty penny on them but I wouldn't buy anymore not when you can get a Arrma Talion/ typhon for the same money or cheaper and comes better equipped, yep it has a few bits that need tweaking but no where the amount as the trophy ..

So come on HPI pull your head out the clouds and give us a revamp its long overdue !!! 

9 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Been servicing the nitro conversion Truggy. Supposed to have it out today but didn't finish it :ack:

Still needs to go on the set up station and some meshing on the esc. got full of grass and stopped the fan last time. Hit 62C but wasn't bothered, motor was still running at 70C, I hate grass.

Bet it lashes down tomorrow, just my luck :rolleyes:

Got fed up with the big bores on the other, No matter what, the front end is always constantly lifted. The conversion chassis set up seems more balanced anyway. Doesn't nose dive like the actual Flux base and the stock shocks don't cause front lift. See if the 3.5mm shafts still hold up with 55wt.

Your flogging  a dead horse fella you have been messing with the shocks for a year now and your still no better off. Admit defeat and move on . Personally I loved the set up I had with the pulse shocks and hellfire springs and I just tweaked the Pistons and oil.. Never had half the issue you seem to face but then again if your trying to race tune a rtr it's a hard thing to do ;) these are more setup for bashing over the park and the odd track bash IMO 

3 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

Lol this thread has been going so long it's untrue you can only flog a dead horse for so long ;) 

Tis a half decent platform but the whole Trophy range is in desperate need of a revamp I mean come on guys it's 2016 and there still using Phillips head even Hobbyking are swapping out to hex head !. 

Theres not one owner I don't think that's not moaned about the cvd's at some point and changed them, same can be said about the shocks the chassis brace and the stupid hubs. 

I really enjoyed both mine and spent a pretty penny on them but I wouldn't buy anymore not when you can get a Arrma Talion/ typhon for the same money or cheaper and comes better equipped, yep it has a few bits that need tweaking but no where the amount as the trophy ..

So come on HPI pull your head out the clouds and give us a revamp its long overdue !!! 

I'd have another Trophy buggy in a second, only reason I sold mine was to fund something more sensible for me and my boys to use. I spent about a tenner on hex screws, £50 on steering arms although cheaper options are available and a few quid on an extra brace and it was totally bash proof.

Oh and I never moaned about CVD's ;)

• Like 1

I admit mine spends more time being repaired than bashed recently but mainly that down to my crap driving ability but luckily I do like stripping things down and repairing them, I do love my truggy its bit like a teenager with an ASBO.

P.s tried my hand a soldering last night, such a bad idea.