• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Custom savage nylon roll cage

Josh1A1H

screws in the cage make it look rushed

cage don't protect the front shock tower

all rolls will be dealt with the wing which looks far too big on that

the truck is too low for a monster truck

the extended wheels make it look like a sumo guy ready to take down a 4ft high little girl.

just what i think but if you like it dude that ok, it is yours after all

Not a bad attempt at all, if you could raise it up from the ground a bit it would be far better maybe look at doing an extended version of THIS rollcage good.gif What will you be using it for mate? I take it it will be for off-road with them badlands on But you will struggle with it setup that low confused.gif

But like i said not bad at all good.gif

Edited by dt-10

lol... its not completed, and the truck isnt ready to run hahalaugh.gif

Still a work in progress...

The Front shock tower protection hasnt been completed yet....

Screws will not be visable when finished... stay tuned.

The spacers on the suspension are not fitted because i was working on the truck...

The wing is meant to deal with the roll overs... but is also supported by the rear shock tower support which is yet to be braced.

The wide offset is to deal with the XXL Chassis... the results are great handling in corners and straight line speed which monster trucks dont have... For a big heavy truck, it out performs most thanks to the wide offset....

check the vid...

I dont think any of you have followed my build so unsure as to what i have tried to accomplish... i have other suspension set ups for big jumps with Monster truck wheels... i then have the lowered suspension for handling and what i am now aiming for a 9s setup and 80mph. Hence the new roll cage and lowered stance for some big speeds...cool.gif

@dt-10 - main5t cages are great... thing is, he doesnt make one for my xxl chassis so i had to improvise... the nylon isnt easy to bend and get symmetrical, so it was best for me not to waste the nylon i did have and keep the design as simple as possible. I know it doesnt maintain the look of a MT but i dont want that as MTs are not aerodynamic... when i am finished with the body, it will look great.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/79947-my-savage-25-build/page__st__15

I built that cage using a heat gun and delrin rod 6mm

It was quite easy in the end mate and just based it around the maint but added a few different angles, the delrin was cheap too just look for a plastics company around your area mate you will be surprised as to how many there are the only pickle i had was sourcing out some mounts but i never really went to any extreme to find one in the end as i sold it on and got a truggy.

The finished article wouldn't look like an mt either but i was not planning to run a shell either good.gif

that was another difficulty regarding the mounts. i didnt like the idea of mounting it to the tvps too much as large roll overs and landing would break the mounts (as main5t is finding out now, he is replacing mounts for people free of charge, the cage holds its own but the mounts fail from time to time) using the natural flex of the bumpers to absorb the impact made much more sense, plus they are cheap to replace and i have loads, so its not too much of a problem. also dirtyhabitz(andy) has tried this method with much success so i thought i would give it a go

your cage looks great... 6mm maybe a little on the flimsy side, but i can see how mounting proved to be your only problem. you did a gd job of keeping the cage symmetrical... due to having limited tools and time, this would have been more difficut for myself.

Yeah i would of opted for metal mounts in the end, but wouldn't fancy damaging the tvp confused.gif

The only tools i used was gun (sometimes a lighter for the tighter angles) and a drill biggrin.gif

I think i know the look you are trying to achieve here as i have a feeling it was the same thought process as mine but on larger tvps ect. I will dig out a pic of the car i was basing it around good.gif

dont know whats going on with the cable ties... but yes, thats what i originally wanted to do with my cage... But after playing with the nylon at first, i ran into so many problems due to having incorrect tools such as keeping both sides symmetrical. also i am not a fan at all of that huge cone nose on the front.confused.gif

But considering, everyone with a nylon cage is basically using the Main5t Style now, i thought i would be a little different too. Plus i believe mine functions a little better. I have dropped the truck nose first into the ground from a high position and the shock received by the front bumper, transfers it to the rear bumper... same goes for dropping it on its roof .... shock is sent arond

@ste77 - thank you buddy... yep, i want my savage to perform like a truggy yet have the strength of an MT... and with a few minor swaps of the suspension and wheels, look and jump like a monster truck...

@andy... yours is definitely tougher than mine, with that rear shock tower support... but mine should still be able to handle all i can throw at it.

Edited by Josh1A1H

Yep... that will do it laugh.gif

I see what you mean about the front tower now and it looks indestructible, good jobgood.gif

Does that cage allow the use of a shell? or do you just run without?

i dont think andy or i are going to run shells... hence why im going to use some nylon sheeting to finish this bad boy up and cover the screws, and give it more of a finished look and more of a shape as well... i will be adopting something simlar to andy for front end protection... Thanks for the helpp once again andy!

Yep... that will do it laugh.gif

I see what you mean about the front tower now and it looks indestructible, good jobgood.gif

Does that cage allow the use of a shell? or do you just run without?

No I don't run a shell now,they don't last long enough when you bash.

I did think about trying to use a cut-down shell,like a rock crawler,be ended up with the post apocalyptic Mad Max look :lol: .

And I didn't want to buy a MainST cage (to expensive for something that looks home made IMO),so I thought I'd build my own :D .

I love the look Josh has with his cage,it kinda looks like a Baja sand rail at the moment.

But the best thing is, we've tried to make them our selves,and have done a pretty good job IMO.

It's been a lot of fun and..love'em or hate'em,their unique :D

Andy

i have to agree, when i first saw it i was like "did he convert it to a sandrail baja" but then i realised it was the wing, stance and cage design that made me think that way

i have to agree and disagree with everyone, the cage does look a bit funny and especially for a savage like josh's but i can defiantly see the protection it offers

:good:

, the cage does look a bit funny and especially for a savage like josh's

:good:

so roie... what do you exactly mean by the text above huh??? are you saying it looks ugly like most people on here?happy.gifwink.gif

To tell you the truth, the pics dont really do it justice.. It looks great in person.

But Roie and everyone else, how would you have tackled such a design with the least amount of bends, and also bare in mind the difficulty of attaching parts to the tvps etc...

It doesn't really matter what others think ( altho nice too get opinions and advice) I was looking at it as a savage and didn't expect too see that ( doesn't mean it's a bad thing just wasn't expecting it, lol)

Everyone has an opinion....I don't like small buggies or cars that's just me.

The fact you have done something different has too be applauded weather people like it or not.

My first impression was: is that a hybrid car trying too be a hpi baja or a savage with a mid life crisis, lol the more I look at it the more I kind of like it in a weird way, lol

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth

i dont think andy or i are going to run shells... hence why im going to use some nylon sheeting to finish this bad boy up and cover the screws, and give it more of a finished look and more of a shape as well... i will be adopting something simlar to andy for front end protection... Thanks for the helpp once again andy!

How about some chequer plate to give it a mean look? The roll cages look good btw alot more protection than M3 (cant remember his username lol):good: