• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A "hello" from a RC-Hobby newbie!

thezeronumber

Hello everyone! I'd like to start by saying it has been a long time since i've seen a community that is as inviting and friendly as this, so kudos on the warming atmosphere; it certainly attracted a newbie like me to join.

I'm male, almost 21, and live in West Sussex. I am also very interested in being a part of this RC Hobby. Seeing as my birthday is a few days away, i've been given a sort of "proposition" that something memorable should happen for my 21st and it has been agreed, either by full or part-payment to meet the excess, that i will be receiving my own RC vehicle! I've always been on those people that "looks" but never "gets", so to get something i've been interested in for years is a brilliant thing. I quickly ruled out air and water-borne RC because in my mind they have too many negatives and not enough positives, so vehicular RC it is. I've got an idea in mind of what i'm after but i will be explaining all of that in a separate topic within the General Electric forum.

By all accounts i am completely new to this. I had an RC Car as a kid but that's a different story. I may know a few part names and what this or that may do and why it does it, but despite lurking the odd forum, watching from the shadows, or viewing a ton of videos for a few months, there is only so much you can know without either joining a well-informed community or getting a RC car yourself, hence why i am here! I just hope one day i can dish out reliable information in return for the help i get on any subjects i enquire about.

And that about sums me up. ^_~

Definitely Electric. Petrol is out of the question for a multitude of reasons and Nitro, while sounding brilliant and meaty, is going to put off the neighbours and isn't that friendly for a complete newbie such as myself. That and i'd eat up more fuel than hot dinners, so the costs would only keep rising! Electric is clean, efficient, and perfect for my needs.

As for use, terrain would vary between tarmac and a typical garden lawn. Roads, pavements, dirt paths, BMX tracks, grass in the local park... Off-road but not extreme off-road, ya know? So i'm thinking something along the lines of Short-course Trucks; the (possibly Ultimate) Traxxas Slash has caught my eye

• 2 weeks later...