• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice on Engine

Langy

Hello

Been a long time since I've been on the site, trying to get my car up and running again.

I have a standard Hyper 7 with a 3 port .21 engine.

Due to overheating I suspect that the piston / liner is now worn.

One alternative I'm looking at is a new engine.

I'm on a very tight budget and spotted the Go .21 3 Port Sport Engine NON Pull Start engine at eBay.

Can anyone tell me how they compare to the original engine I have and what they are really like.

The car is only being used for bashing and a local track where they have 5 minute racers, usually 3 races in a night.

I just want something thats easy to tune, going to be reliable and last.

The track is very bumpy and even with the best engine will far from guarantee you being in the top so it doesn't have to be the fastest.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Langy

Well several people have reand and no replies.

I've taken the plunge and ordered the engine, also ordered a couple of Go N3 glow plugs to use in it.

Does anyone have running in instructions for these engines and is there an alternate glow plug that I can use?

I currently use McCoy MC-9 Glow plugs and Byron Gen2 Fuel - 25% on my Hyper 7 21 engine.

I have the 3 port .25 engine, I thought mine was playing up just I had not tuned it as per instruction.

Check once you have it if has a long or a short LSN I have 2 engines both are different! The short u tune as per the guide on this site, the long as per the tech tips on the go.nz. Web site. Both have proven to be good and very punchy. I run 20% optifuel which I personnaly found easier to get running well over the byrons. I am sure there will be a que waiting to say that is wrong though

Edited by dja1000

I ran my Go GX 5R in on 20% optifuel , untill 6 tanks then took it steady on Byrons 25% for a couple of tanks, then progressed from there. They do take some running in, but well woth it :)

The Go 3 port is a cracking engine,i've had 2 of the older blue head sport engines and both were fantastic with a good spread of power,deffo better than the stock .21 Hyper engines thats for sure.They can suffer from fuel vapour lock due to the carb getting hot and boiling the fuel as these engines like to run at higher temps than most at optimum performance,mine loved it around 265F-270F and ran very well for around 6 gallons before snapping a conrod,that engine was ran on Modelsports professional blend of Model Technics at 25% and the last 2 gallon on Byron Gen 2 and was superb on both fuel brands....wink.gif

Nice to hear they like to be hot, I always batte to get temp down but keep the performance, not ran my buggy with the .25 in a couple of weeks as it needed a new front bearing and work issues but will have it out this weekend looking forward to see if it is sorted.